so you gun law people explain this...

Lance

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/24/burress.home.search/index.html

so why are they saying he will face more charges for guns found at his home? why would he have to have a permit for guns in a private residence?

"Blakely said it is unclear whether Burress has permits for the weapons found in his home Tuesday. If not, additional charges would be likely."

I think the guy is kinda dumb for shooting himself in the leg...but I don't think he should go to jail over it...or for having guns in his home....registered or not.

For your first question, of course, one needs a permit for guns stored at a private residence. Come on, big fella: where does the vast majority of the population store its guns? A gun safe/locked gun cabinet in a private residence, i.e.: home. What other storage options would there be? A communal gun safe? A storage building? Of course, a person would want his/her gun accessible. I apologize if I've misunderstood the question, as the rationale just seems relatively straightforward.

I firmly and unequivocally believe that there should be mandatory jail sentences for those who do not have permits (or at least, having passed a hunter's safety course) for weapons of deadly force. It's serves the following purposes of criminal punishment: specific deterrence (a stiff sentence keeping one from owning a handgun without proper licensing); general deterrence (showing the public-at-large that people WILL do time without the requisite registration for a weapon); incapacitation (keeping those who do not lawfully use handguns [regardless of intent] away from the general population). That's just naming the most pertinent three.

Do I believe that people who safely use handguns with due reverence to their power should be denied a handgun? Absolutely not, and I'll stand right beside anyone and fight for the right of a citizen to own the handgun. However, just as one cannot verbally accost me and claim First Amendment privilege, people such as Plaxico Burress should definitely not lawlessly own unlicensed guns and claim Second Amendment privilege.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
For your first question, of course, one needs a permit for guns stored at a private residence. Come on, big fella: where does the vast majority of the population store its guns? A gun safe/locked gun cabinet in a private residence, i.e.: home. What other storage options would there be? A communal gun safe? A storage building? Of course, a person would want his/her gun accessible. I apologize if I've misunderstood the question, as the rationale just seems relatively straightforward.

Unless I just completely misunderstood what you are saying, I think you are somewhat wrong.

In WV, of course this is not Liberal Loony NJ, you do NOT need a permit to have guns in your residence. Same with PA, MI, VA, and Texas. (Thanks to the Nuge for some of those.) Also, unless it is a handgun, bought from a store, you usually don't have to register them either. All private sales and gun show sales do not have to be registered in WV. Long guns, such as rifles, do not need registration. Im not even sure if handguns require registration when you buy them from a store, but the background check may create the paperwork for one.

Either way, I would say NJ, may be the ONLY state that you have to register all guns to keep them in your home. Those people are morons. They claimed bowhunting takes innocent lives. What a joke. Bears are destroying and roaming their cities since they banned bear hunting and now they wonder why...

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that many states, including WV and VA from everything i have heard/read you do not have to have a permit to have guns in your home. Unless you know a law I dont, which is entirely a possibility.

Edited by BEAVERTAIL

i just dont understand why you would need anything for something you keep in the privacy of your own home...permit = paper trail...i guess that's all i can think of that it would be of use for...i just think its kinda big brother-ish to make people have permits for guns kept in house...i can see a public carry permit...but for home use...shouldn't be against the law to just own a gun that the gov doesn't know about.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
i just dont understand why you would need anything for something you keep in the privacy of your own home...permit = paper trail...i guess that's all i can think of that it would be of use for...i just think its kinda big brother-ish to make people have permits for guns kept in house...i can see a public carry permit...but for home use...shouldn't be against the law to just own a gun that the gov doesn't know about.

You should not. In WV im almost 100% sure the gun you carry with a CCW does not have to be registered. This just seems like an isolated thing in NJ.

Secondly, as for the big brotherish kind of thing. Lets say you have to have a permit to keep guns in your house. Considering the number of people who do not use guns for crime do not want to get in trouble, they get the permits. Now, the goverment knows which houses have firearms. Imagine if that list or file fell into the wrong hands. Chaos woud ensue for those who do not have firearms. It would be Xmas everyday for robbers.

NJ is just a bunch of anti hunting/guns (which are 2 entirely different things in my mind) loons who just like to pass these kind of laws.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

On further investigation, it only seems as if Burress is being charged as not having the weapons registered. Like I have been saying all along, NJ does have strict gun laws, and the registration of each individual firearm would not surprise me.

Of all the articles I found from Xmas eve, none commented on not having a permit for them to be in the home, just not having a permit to own. Although early reports did seem to mention the first charge of weapons in the home...

Unless I just completely misunderstood what you are saying, I think you are somewhat wrong.

In WV, of course this is not Liberal Loony NJ, you do NOT need a permit to have guns in your residence. Same with PA, MI, VA, and Texas. (Thanks to the Nuge for some of those.) Also, unless it is a handgun, bought from a store, you usually don't have to register them either. All private sales and gun show sales do not have to be registered in WV. Long guns, such as rifles, do not need registration. Im not even sure if handguns require registration when you buy them from a store, but the background check may create the paperwork for one.

Either way, I would say NJ, may be the ONLY state that you have to register all guns to keep them in your home. Those people are morons. They claimed bowhunting takes innocent lives. What a joke. Bears are destroying and roaming their cities since they banned bear hunting and now they wonder why...

Anyways, I just wanted to point out that many states, including WV and VA from everything i have heard/read you do not have to have a permit to have guns in your home. Unless you know a law I dont, which is entirely a possibility.

I was referencing the NY/NJ law in my quote that Lance and I both knew about, and I see now how unclear I was in doing so. My apologies, and thanks for point that out.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
I was referencing the NY/NJ law in my quote that Lance and I both knew about, and I see now how unclear I was in doing so. My apologies, and thanks for point that out.

I maintain that it still might not be a law to have guns in your house. Granted, maybe all guns must be registered, but I cant find any NJ gun laws on this. According to njguns.com, you must have a NJ Firearm Purchaser ID, or a handgun permit to possess ANY guns. I think that is the real and only additional charge facing Burress.

BTW, I just read that a BB gun is a firearm in NJ. You have got to be kidding me.

Here in VA you don't have to have a permit to have guns in a home, hand guns are registered when you buy them from the store, only permit that you have here a concealment permit. Rifles, shotguns are now registered when you buy them from a store, just how they do it.. But if you own one from back in the day it doesn't matter...

Here in VA you don't have to have a permit to have guns in a home, hand guns are registered when you buy them from the store, only permit that you have here a concealment permit. Rifles, shotguns are now registered when you buy them from a store, just how they do it.. But if you own one from back in the day it doesn't matter...

It's normal to grandfather in guns manufactured/purchased before this law went into effect. Frankly, I like this process. Register everyone, have a carry-and-conceal permit. It doesn't seem as if NJ registers every gun sold from the Burress situation.

I don't feel like I've been very articulate in this discussion. Stupid winter break!