Congrats

fieldgeneral

to VT. They played a complete game and Cincy looked like a deer in headlights. Cincy did not show they were the BE champs, they played without any heart. Congrats on the win.

I didn't really ever think Cincinnati was star struck, per say, I just saw a focused Virginia Tech football team that did what they needed to do to finally come through with a big win. They played excellent defense throughout the entire game and created 4 turnovers (5 actually, if Chancellor wasn't screwed). Sure Tony Pike had to throw those, but I would say that the last INT was the only completely ill advised throw. Chancellor, Virgil, and Orion Martin all made great breaks on the ball to pick off those other passes, and Macho's coverage and tip would've counted towards Chancellor's other INT too. Tech's offense did about all they could do tonight in the sense that they played under control and let the defense carry them through the game. The offensive line dug deep and got the push off the line of scrimmage to let Evans carry the load. They out rushed the Bearcats by almost 200 yards and absolutely owned the time of possession all game long. Cincy's defense stayed on the field and their offense couldn't move the ball against Tech's defense - I think the reason they didn't play with any heart was because Virginia Tech grabbed it at the beginning of the game and didn't let go. I thought it was an excellent showing by the Hokies and the future talent is looking bright in Blacksburg.

Guest JJBrickface

I figured this game would be the battle of defenses. The Hokies proved to have the better team on this night.

I didn't really ever think Cincinnati was star struck, per say, I just saw a focused Virginia Tech football team that did what they needed to do to finally come through with a big win. They played excellent defense throughout the entire game and created 4 turnovers (5 actually, if Chancellor wasn't screwed). Sure Tony Pike had to throw those, but I would say that the last INT was the only completely ill advised throw. Chancellor, Virgil, and Orion Martin all made great breaks on the ball to pick off those other passes, and Macho's coverage and tip would've counted towards Chancellor's other INT too. Tech's offense did about all they could do tonight in the sense that they played under control and let the defense carry them through the game. The offensive line dug deep and got the push off the line of scrimmage to let Evans carry the load. They out rushed the Bearcats by almost 200 yards and absolutely owned the time of possession all game long. Cincy's defense stayed on the field and their offense couldn't move the ball against Tech's defense - I think the reason they didn't play with any heart was because Virginia Tech grabbed it at the beginning of the game and didn't let go. I thought it was an excellent showing by the Hokies and the future talent is looking bright in Blacksburg.

I was amazed at the performance as a team that VT showed. A total team effort by the coaches and players! I wasn't sure how this game would turn out and with the new guys that were going to be in there I was really worried. This was a young team to start and had more injuries then any other team that Beamer has had since he's been there. What a job the coaches did in keeping this team together throughout this season against all the flack from the media and fans. Congrates to the coaches and players for a job well done in the Orange Bowl and for the entire season.

nice win last night has to be satisfying to get acc's first bcs win in almost 9 years...just great defense once again...nice to see good defense...cincy qb was a puss on this night...anyone think so he stopped everytime he was about to get hit....enjoyed the game with the wife (loves the hokie bird)...cannot wait to see Austin Fuller on field for hokies may actually rout for them a bit...still don't like tyrod ( great player no doubt, but a show boat in my opinion, however he wins ball games and that is what counts). Once again congrats!

Guest BEAVERTAIL
still don't like tyrod ( great player no doubt, but a show boat in my opinion, however he wins ball games and that is what counts). Once again congrats!

I agree completely.

I wish Glennon could have gotten in one more time. It was awesome to see him in really his last game against Duke, where he saved Tyrod's butt. A lot of VT fans forget the games he won for us, while throwing a 60% completion rate, a passer rating of easliy over 100, more TDs than INTs, and for almost 5000 yards. The most telling stat is that he was almost sacked 100 times.

Either way, great win for the Hokies and it seems as if Tyrod finally is rolling somewhat. We may have what somewhat resembles an offense next year, but Im holding my breath.

Tyrod frustrates me as much as anyone sometimes, but you have to remember he is only a sophomore. Most maturation comes between the sophomore season to the junior season. Tyrod is only going to get better.

That maturation comes at that time when it's usually their first time seeing the field. In Taylor's case, he's been the star at Tech for two years now and no one knows it more than he. He needs to grow up because so far I haven't been too impressed with him.

That maturation comes at that time when it's usually their first time seeing the field. In Taylor's case, he's been the star at Tech for two years now and no one knows it more than he. He needs to grow up because so far I haven't been too impressed with him.

I agree with you, but you have to remember that this was Taylor's first real season where he was actually the head guy. He split a lot of time with Glennon last season and was mainly to a lot of short passes and QB draws. Any time the ball needed to be thrown he was on the sideline and Glennon was back there. This season he had the opportunity to lead an offense this year and has the chance to lead it for two more years. I'm not saying that he isn't cocky and that he isn't immature, or that he has proven to be an excellent quarterback in his first two seasons. I'm just saying that he has two more seasons to grow and become a leader and better QB. He has the talent to be a great one.

Just look at other players at his age or younger who handle themselves a lot better. Terrelle Pryor, Jacory Harris, and even Jordan Jefferson in LSU's Chik-Fil-A Bowl win. Sooner or later, people are going to have to throw out the age factor of Taylor's immaturity and realize that's just how he is. Not only at the quarterback position, but Julio Jones and AJ Green shined at receiver this season and hardly showboated around after scoring touchdowns or catching long passes. Taylor's just has a lot of growing up to do, and someone needs to calm his ego.

I'm not taking up for Tyrod at all. I'm just saying that he still has time to change. Whether he does that or not is his problem.

And I'm really not trying to spark an argument, but I honestly thought Julio Jones was one of the cockiest players I've seen all year. He jawed at his defender after what seemed like every catch. He is still the best receiver in the nation in my opinion and I've always pulled for Bama ever since I can remember. I just wouldn't use him for comparison purposes when talking about extracirricular activity after plays.

Everyone has to remember that these are young men playing this game. Everyone on here who has played football at sometime knows that when you step onto that field that a different part of you comes out. Tyrod Taylor is cocky. But so is every other player in college football. Everybody showboats sometime or another. If i was a QB at the D-1 level, i'd probably do the same thing. Its just that these guys are still young and having fun while they play the game. So let them play it.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

And that above me is whats wrong with the game.

You win. Thats says enough. You dont have to do the extra stuff period. I dont care who it is, hand the ball to the official and go to the sidelines and celebrate there. Nowhere in the game of football or in the rulebook does it say you have to celebrate on every play,or ANY play. Which is starting to be what we see.

Go out play the game hard and do the celebrating afterwards. Especially at QB, you are the captain. I honestly havent really seen Tim Tebow, Sam Bradford, Pat White do anything outlandish like Tyrod does. Be a leader. The game isnt over, you havent accomplished anything.

Really now?

Really.

When have you seen a DL sack a quarterback and not do his grizzly bear stomp back to the huddle? When have you seen a cornerback swat a ball away from a receiver and not shake is head and do the "incomplete" signal on the way back to the huddle? They're all proud of what they can do and the fans feed them to do those mildly silly things.

Where I agree winning should be enough, extra-curricular celebrations aren't the worst thing in sports.. I think if Tyrod were doing the Marcus Vick Leg Stomp after every play among other cheap shots, we would all see that as exceeding what is allowed. Tyrod is not harming anyone else or the game.

Furthermore, these types of things are sometimes good for spectactors on both sides. Chad Johnson for instance... he takes it too far sometimes which as a Bengals fan you may enjoy but the opposition hates it. And they love to hate it. And in a way thats good for the game. I used to think Miami was the most repulsive, thug ridden, cockiest team ever and then when the program started to drop off and you saw less and less of it, I started to miss Miami being there and being cocky for me to despise.

Everyone has to remember that these are young men playing this game. Everyone on here who has played football at sometime knows that when you step onto that field that a different part of you comes out. Tyrod Taylor is cocky. But so is every other player in college football. Everybody showboats sometime or another. If i was a QB at the D-1 level, i'd probably do the same thing. Its just that these guys are still young and having fun while they play the game. So let them play it.

not every player is cocky. I understand that you come with some tude while on the field, but some do it with class and some don't!

Hell of a game to be my last as an undergrad. It's been an up and down year, but as long as we finish on an up, i'm fine with it. As for the game itself, it was great to see how pumped the Cincy fans were to be here. They came out in full force, and represented their school respectfully. But all in all, the night belonged to us, and I made sure to stick around as long as possible to celebrate with my friends and fellow Hokies.

As for the rest of this amazing trip, we've got dinner tonight at a local sports bar, then resting up for our trip home tomorrow. Go Hokies!