BDT-Pocy Coal POW Award - Boys (Dec 29th/Jan 4th)

tbgfan

Kolb named Player of the Week

By BRIAN WOODSON

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

MONTCALM — David Kolb admits to being a little surprised. Ditto for his classmates.

“Some of them have been surprised,†Kolb said. “They wonder why I didn’t do this last year, but I guess it’s because I have gotten taller and I can work harder this year and having a new coach.â€

Last year at Montcalm, Kolb figures he may have averaged three points a game, and usually never had more than six.

One year later, Kolb just finished a three-game span that saw the senior average 17.3 points and 10 rebounds, leading the Generals to a pair of wins.

Surprised?

“Probably,†said Kolb, who had 52 points and 30 rebounds last week. “Because I didn’t really do a lot last year because I really didn’t go in much.â€

That’s changed. So much so that Kolb has earned the Pocahontas Coal Association/Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week Award.

Kolb, who is playing for his third head coach in the last three years, has been a pleasant surprise for Lindsey Jones, who replaced Justin Havens as the Generals’ general before this season.

“I really wasn’t aware of what he was capable of doing when we first started,†said Jones, who inherited a team that lost seven seniors. “We had a couple of scrimmages and he wasn’t very aggressive and then when we went and played our first game, he played really, really well.

“I talked to one of the coaches and I was like, ‘Where was that at?’ and he said, ‘It was there, you just haven’t had a chance to see it yet.’â€

It’s impossible not to see it now for the 3-5 Generals. The 6-foot-1 Kolb, who grew four inches in the offseason, put up impressive numbers last week, including 21 points and 15 boards in a win over Greater Beckley Christian, and another 13 points and five rebounds against Iaeger.

Why did this transformation take place?

“Probably because it was my senior year and I wanted to work my hardest,†said Kolb, who also had 13 points and 10 boards in a loss to Mount Hope last week. “I should have worked hard back in my other years, but I just want to work my hardest this year with the team and make myself better for every game.â€

While Kolb is quick to credit his teammates for his production, much of it is his own doing. His turning point may have come in a two-point loss to Iaeger early in the season. Kolb didn’t feel like he had contributed to the team. Jones took him aside and reminded him of his role on the team.

“I told him some of the best teams out there only shoot 50 percent from the floor so that is 50 percent misses,†said Jones, who coached previously at Mercer Christian. “If you go be aggressive on the glass, you’ll be contributing to the team by getting us some rebounds and getting some second chance opportunities.

“It’s just an example of how coachable he is because he’s went out and done what I asked of him.â€

While Kolb still isn’t as physically strong as some of his opponents, he is fundamentally sound, learning the importance of blocking out, while scoring many of his points on offensive putbacks.

“I expect him to not only to continue what he is doing right now, but to pick it up in other areas by creating some shots for some other people on our team,†Jones said. “I expect him to grow. He’s going to have to be physically stronger so we’re going to have to work on that in the next month and a half.

“He’s going to have to work on getting other people shots and making his teammates around him better.â€

In recent seasons, Montcalm has been led by fellow senior Donald White, who can light up the scoreboard on some nights. Jones has told his troops not to stand around and watch “Bird†do his thing.

“I told the team there is going to have to be more than just Donald to step up in order for us to compete for the state championship and make a run for the state tournament,†Jones said. “One person can’t do it. The NBA is a perfect example.

“A lot of teams have one great player, but you’ve got to have those role players and other people to step up and make you a better team.â€

Kolb has been glad to do his part. It’s finally his turn to shine.

“It’s nice working with the team in every game and having the team support you all the way,†Kolb said. “It’s been all right working with the team and having a new coach, it’s been pretty nice.â€

Kolb, who was averaging nearly 14 points a game heading into Wednesday’s game at Narrows, has high hopes for the Generals.

“Probably going to the state tournament, being my senior year, and for the team and for coach,†said Kolb, who hopes to take his new-found talent to the college level next year. “I think we could probably beat the teams we need to play against and get up there.â€

Honorable Mention

(Dec. 29-Jan. 4)

Big Creek (1-2): Austin Johnson, 40 points; Cody Underwood, 33 points.

Bland County (1-0): Kyle Kennedy, 17 points; Josh Shrader, 8 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists.

Bluefield (2-0): R.J. Wilson, 30 points, 20 rebounds; Craig Ponder, 32 points; Devon Crawford, 13 points, 9 rebounds, 6 steals.

Council (1-0): Otto Fletcher, 28 points, 6 rebounds; Shane Presley, 14 points, 11 rebounds.

Giles (0-1): Andy Randel, 20 points; Codey Williams, 15 points.

Haysi (0-2): Chris Fleming, 41 points; Tyler Mullins, 20 points.

Hurley (1-0): Tyler Cooper, 31 points.

Iaeger (2-1): Lawrence Morgan, 34 points; J.L. Reed, 31 points, 16 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals (2 games).

James Monroe (1-0): Tyler Franklin, 14 points; John Ballengee, 14 points; Taylor Robertson, 14 points.

Montcalm (2-1): Donald White, 49 points.

PikeView (1-0): Corey Clark, 15 points; Josh Blankenship, 13 points; Jordan Weitzel, 11 points.

Pipestem Christian (2-0): Austin Peyton, 40 points; Zach Worley, 27 points; Aleks Lane, 16 points, 15 rebounds.

Princeton (1-1): Nick Branson, 37 points; Austin Harris, 24 points; Brandon Lafferty, 17 points.

Richlands (0-1): Gunner McGee, 17 points; Eric Mulkey, 10 points.

Summers County (0-1): Taran McKinney, 12 points; Cameron Mann, 10 points.

Tazewell (2-1): Brandon Pauley, 57 points; T.J. Taxley, 45 points.

Twin Valley (2-0): Josh Smith, 35 points (10-11 fg vs. Greeneville); Hunter Simpson, 23 points.

Wyoming East (2-0): Gentry Shrewsbury, 44 points; Evan Muscari, 22 points.

NOTE: Recommendations are encouraged for this award. Call (304) 327-2813 or (800) 763-2459; fax to (304) 327-6179 or e-mail sports@bdtonline.com.

Life has many choices---eternity has two