Swimming: Abingdon Siblings Make Splash

tbgfan

SWIMMING: Abingdon Siblings Make Splash At Virginia High Meet

By Tim Hayes

Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: January 9, 2009

BRISTOL, Va. – Abingdon High School senior John Dreyzehner doesn’t have to look far for motivation when he takes to the pool these days.

His younger brother, sophomore Jason Dreyzehner, is also a standout for the Falcons and provides plenty of competition for his older sibling.

“When he beats me, it’s frustrating,†John said. “He’s younger than me and already bigger than me. But it’s a lot of fun though. We push each other in practice.â€

The Dreyzehner brothers had another big performance on Thursday as Abingdon won the boys team title and had the highest combined team score at the 7’s meet at the Margaret H. St. John Swimming Pool at Virginia High.

John and Jason teamed with Hunter Wilson and Jared Lovett to win the 200-yard medley relay. John also won the 50 freestyle, finished second in the breaststroke and was on the winning 200 freestyle relay team.

Meanwhile, Jason finished second in the 100 butterfly, third in the 200 individual medley and was on the victorious 400 freestyle relay team.

Dusty Graves (200 freestyle and 500 freestyle) and Jared Lovett (200 IM and 100 breaststroke) were also victorious for the Falcons.

“We’ve got some talent this year and a lot of good people coming out,†John Dreyzehner said. “I would like to get a state time in the 50 free, but I’d have to drop a second from what I just swam. Right now, that’s my best event.â€

Virginia High senior Russell Parrott continued his success in the 1-meter diving event as he beat out teammate Gage Nettles. Parrott has already set a school record this season and is one of the area’s elite divers.

“I feel I’ve been doing pretty good,†Parrott said. “I’ve improved a lot since my sophomore year when I first started.â€

Under the direction of veteran head coach Molly Boyle, Parrott has been a model of consistency.

“I mainly focus on my approach and looks and staying calm,†Parrott said. “Just steady as you go … It’s pretty fun. Coach Boyle is a good coach, and I think it’s paid off a lot over the last three years.â€

Patrick Henry was the smallest school at Thursday’s event. The Rebels are in their fourth year of fielding a swim program, and second-year head coach Jessica Hurd has 10 swimmers on the roster.

Morgan Johnson cruised to wins in the 100 yard breaststroke and 100 yard butterfly for PH.

“They like the sport and at this size, it’s about individual accomplishments,†Hurd said. “They really see improvement each week.â€

Seniors Seth Tester and Katie Buchanan have been with the PH program since its inception.

“It’s been kind of fun watching it improve over these last few years,†Buchanan said. “The first year was kind of rough, and we’ve gone through a lot of coaches. But Coach Hurd is in her second year and has done a good job. Hopefully, we can keep it going.â€

Virginia High finished first in the girls standings as Andrea Allison and Hannah Musser each won two events for the Bearcats.

Life has many choices---eternity has two