Out with the old...in with the new McDowell Co. school...

GMan

Info copied from WVPreps...

http://wvpreps.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=187&mid=123228472&sid=1194&tid=123228472&style=1

The kids voted not sure that was a great idea but none the less the winner is.

RIVER VIEW (I really have no prob. with that since the other McDowell Co. school is Mt. View its sort of fitting I guess) Really much better than the other options of Coalfield, Southern, and McDowell Central. I personally was a fan of just McDowell but River View is fine. Bradshaw the name of the town where the school is was not in the final list of options BTW.

RAIDERS (not a bad pick either assuming they go with a India instead of a pirate) Last I checked their was no pirates in southern WV LOL. Only thing is Liberty R. (not that far away) is also the Raiders not wise IMO to even use that as a option. Other options which I liked were Miners and Cardinals. I felt both would have been very fitting for the area. Cougar and Bulls were the other 2 options needless to say I did not like either.

PURPLE, BLACK AND SILVER won the color scheme (I like the 3 colors) Problem is several schools that are close Gilbert, James Monroe and Twin Valley Va are all purple. Add to that you have RIVERSIDE in Charleston that is purple and silver. Then you have Westside, Tug Valley and Pikeview all close schools that use a black and silver scheme. Just not very original IMO.

The crazy thing is that no coaches, teachers, community leaders etc were part of the decision. They also grouped the Name, Mascot and Colors together. So if you wanted River View you had to take the Raiders and Purple, Black and Silver. The Cardinals and Miners were both with RED which IMO would have been a good color scheme since no one south of Charleston has it except Wayne and Poca. But what do I know.

Anyway its done I hope we the coaches and teachers of RIVER VIEW can impact the picking of what a RAIDER is like the Westside coached did with the Renegade. Being a Gilbert guy I like purple its just became really common in our area now. I would expect us to look at Kansas State, TCU, and the Balt. Ravens for uniform ideas.

Iaeger and Big Creek have one more year sot he Fall of 2010 will be the first for River View.

wow...River View Raiders...

Grundy's elementary/middle is Riverview

Twin Valley's colors are purple, black and silver/white

Can't think of anything close that has raiders as a mascot but Bradshaw is maybe 15 or 20 minutes drive from Whitewood and Pilgrims Knob where Twin Valley is...

But if they're happy that's good enough for me, we all got to vote on ours...