Abingdon-Graham Score

tbgfan

graham played sloppy for 2 and a half quaters and still only lost by two imagine if graham could put four quaters of basketball together they would be unstoppable

congrats to abingdon on a well played game.

Yea and imagine if they werent fighting injuries also! Oh well im actually glad that they lost tonight because it shows them that they have to bring there game night in and night out and can't play sloppy for how many amount of quarters. Dave Marrs hopefully will be back soon, that will help out alot. Palmer has stepped his game up a ton and is leading this team. Bryan has made poor decisions at times and to me isnt hitting as many shots as he used to. Kyle Harris is by far the best defender for the G-Men. Cole Sarver is a great leader and for a point guard a pretty good shooter. Brewster struggles but still manages to get put backs, he needs to learn to catch the ball and get stronger and have a better grip of holding onto the ball, he fouled out tonight and i do believe that he has fouled out or came close to it the past couple of games. Thats the starters for Coach Carlock. I love my G-Men and if i had any say in it i would start PG-Cole Sarver,SG-Kyle Harris,SF-AJ Jeffers, PF-Jordan Bryan C-Jason Palmer. Over the years I've watched these kids play and i belive that no one in the district could touch this lineup. They have speed,strength,can shoot the ball and all can handle it. I still haven't figured out what Glynn is doing not starting Jeffers. I've watched this kid since he was little and i know that he is a very very good ball player. He and Palmer have played together since Middle School and its their senior year and I barely see them on the court together. Graham is in fact very deep in depth this year but those starters with Marrs,Brewster and Dennah coming off the bench for fresh legs is unstoppable PERIOD.

Extra hoops

Graham falls in overtime

By JED LOCKETT

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

BLUEFIELD, Va. — If the 44th President of the United States had been at Graham Middle School instead of Washington D.C. Tuesday night, the basketball junkie would have enjoyed greatly what he would have seen.

He would have seen a great comeback by the Abingdon Falcons punctuated by a game-tying 3-point shot from Nathaniel Funk that sent the game into overtime. He would have seen the Falcons triumph over the G-Men 84-82 in one of the best Southwest District games of the season.

“In that situation, you hit a shot at the buzzer, you feel fortunate to get out of here with a win,†said Abingdon head coach B.J. Lasley. “But that’s the game of basketball. You win some like that, close ones going down the stretch. It could’ve went either way.â€

“We really made a lot of mistakes tonight defensively,†said Graham head coach Glynn Carlock, Jr. “We did not guard the way we have guarded throughout the first half of the season. And we picked a bad night not to guard defensively.â€

Funk’s game-tying shot followed a Falcons comeback that brought them from behind 56-45 in the early part of the final quarter to 68-65 with :12 left in regulation. Abingdon set up a play to go to scorer Colby Hunt, but he was covered.

Without any other option, Funk worked his way around the defender guarding him then let fly.

“I was actually looking for Colby to come open and he never came open,†Funk said. “And I gave the guy a pump fake and just threw it up. It was really luck. I don’t have any explanation for it.â€

“He did what he was supposed to do and give Graham credit, they took away what we were trying to do,†Lasley said. “Nathaniel kind-of made a play there and happened to hit the shot. We always say it’s not over until that buzzer sounds and you’re beat or you’ve won and we didn’t quit until we were done.â€

“I thought that we had real good defense on that possession,†Carlock said. “You’ve got to give him credit there. That’s a big-time shot because we had him covered and we discussed it after the game. I felt like we had a chance to even block that shot and he was afraid to get the foul called on a 3-point play.â€

Hunt helped the Falcons get into position to win, keying the comeback with clutch baskets then helping Abingdon get and stay ahead in the extra four minutes. Hunt finished with 31 points to lead all scorers.

“Colby’s been a little under the weather. He really didn‘t get moving real well I felt like until the second half,†Lasley said. “But once he got into the flow of the game and I think he got how he was feeling out of his mind a little bit and just went out there and played and hit some big shots down the stretch.â€

“He burned us alive tonight, 31 points,†Carlock said. “You’ve got to guard shooters and we didn’t guard shooters.â€

Cole Manning came out on fire for the Falcons and ended the game with 15 points. Jacob Hess led the charge on the boards with eight rebounds.

Jason Palmer also keyed his team down the stretch, nearly guiding the Virginia Siders to a win with 25 points and six rebounds. Jordan Bryan added 14 points and eight rebounds, Kyle Harris contributed 13 points and seven boards and Scott Brewster had a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds.

Abingdon (7-7, 5-1) hosts Carroll County on Friday. The Falcons needed the win to bounce back after a loss to Marion.

“This is a big win for us I feel like to get our confidence back and get us back heading in the right direction,†Lasley said. “Most importantly it gets us back even with Graham in the district.â€

Graham (7-4, 4-1) travels to Grundy on Friday. The G-Men will look to do what Abingdon did Tuesday night.

“We’ve got character kids and I feel like they’ll be up to the challenge and hopefully we’ll get back in the gym tomorrow and work hard,†Carlock said, “correct the mistakes that we had tonight, defensive intensity and free throws.â€

— Contact Jed Lockett

at jlockett@bdtonline.com

ABINGDON (7-7, 5-1)

Randall Carter 1-2 0-0 2, Zach Viers 0-1 0-1 0, Nick Overbay 3-5 2-3 8, Nathan Hess 0-0 0-0 0, Colby Hunt 11-24 6-11 31, Josh Baker 1-1 2-4 4, Cole Manning 7-8 1-2 15, Nathaniel Funk 5-12 5-7 18, Alex Looney 1-3 0-0 2, Jacob Hess 2-4 0-3 4. Totals 31-60 16-31 84.

GRAHAM (7-4, 4-1)

Sam Dennah 4-9 0-0 9, Cole Sarver 4-13 1-2 9, Kyle Furrow 0-0 0-0 0, Scott Brewster 4-8 2-4 10, Ryan Stanley 0-0 0-0 0, Kyle Harris 6-10 1-4 13, A.J. Jeffers 0-1 0-0 0, Jason Palmer 10-13 5-6 25, Ryan Woodson 1-4 0-1 2, Jordan Bryan 4-13 5-6 14. Totals 33-71 14-23 82.

Abingdon..........................16 .17 .7 28 16 — 84

Graham…..........................15 16 15 22 14 — 82

3-Point Goals -- Abingdon 6-16 (Funk 3-6, Hunt 3-9, Carter 0-1, Hess 0-1). Graham 2-11 (Dennah 1-3, Bryan 1-4, Harris 0-1, Manning 0-1, Brewster 0-2). Rebounds -- Abingdon 33 (Hess 9). Graham 44 (Brewster 11). Blocks -- Abingdon 3 (Hess 1, Looney 1, Manning 1). Graham 0. Turnovers -- Abingdon 13. Graham 14.

Life has many choices---eternity has two