BHC - Hogoheegee Wrestlers Results Region C Tourney

tbgfan

WRESTLING: Hogoheegee Grapplers Fare Well In Region C Tourney

By Tim Hayes

Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: February 15, 2009

SALTVILLE, Va. — Josh Adams has won 111 matches during his wrestling career at Chilhowie High School. His most recent victory might have been the most hard-fought.

Adams collected a 3-1 decision over Floyd County’s Daniel Bradford in overtime to claim the 171-pound weight class title at Saturday’s Region C wrestling tournament at Northwood High School.

Adams was one of seven Hogoheegee District wrestlers to win their respective weight classes at the event. Meanwhile, Hogoheegee District champion Chilhowie finished second in the team standings.

Adams and Bradford battled to a 1-1 tie through three periods, but Adams was able to score a takedown just before the end of the first overtime period.

“That was probably the closest match I’ve been in all year,†Adams said. “I knew he was going to be tough … He’s not a very technical wrestler, but he’s just really strong. Every time I would get a shot in, we would be close to out of bounds.â€

Christian Russell (112) also claimed an individual crown for Chilhowie. The Warriors finished with a team score of 143 points, well behind regional champion Glenvar.

Perhaps no wrestler in Saturday’s event was happier than Holston’s Timmy Wolfe. The senior qualified for his first VHSL Group A state tournament and earned a wild 9-7 win over Glenvar’s Zach Hill in the 152-pound title match.

Wolfe had punched his state tournament ticket earlier in the morning with a pin of Grayson County’s Michael Chase in the semifinals.

“It feels great to go to state this year,†Wolfe said. “It’s my first time going and it’s great to go as a regional champ. The seeding will be a lot better … The guy from Glenvar was really good and the match with him will prepare me for state. I just hope to do good up there too.â€

Northwood’s Alex Samaniego also had to endure a tough match in claiming the heavyweight crown. He posted a 3-1 decision over Rural Retreat’s Jacob Wagoner in the finals. He had pinned Wagoner in the second period at the Hogoheegee tournament.

“It was the region finals and I know he wanted it and I expected it from him,†Samaniego said. “He was coming in harder and I knew it was going to be a tough match. I was really nervous going into it.â€

Just minutes after earning his first-place medal, Samaniego already had Salem, the site of next weekend’s state tourney, in his sights.

“I think it’s my time to win it,†Samaniego said. “I’ve been wrestling for four years and I want it bad.â€

Rural Retreat had a pair of champions in Spencer Shillig (140) and Kyle Testerman (215). Shillig earned a 5-3 decision over James River’s Ryan Hepler in the finals, while Testerman edged James River’s Anthony Garrison, 5-4.

George Wythe’s Levi Lanter was the Region C champ at 160-pounds after picking up a 8-4 win over Covington’s Mikeal Lewis.

Only two pins occurred in the finals as Glenvar’s Kahlil Carazo (103) and Covington’s Chad Sizemore (130) stuck their opponents. Sizemore won the state title at 125-pounds last year.

The top four wrestlers in each weight class qualified for the state tourney.

thayes@bristolnews.com|(276) 645-2570