Galax-TV tonight

tvp

Here is an article I found from the Galax paper:

Another Twin in Galax's path

Galax's first-round state tournament opponent may be the cream of the Region D crop.

By Craig Worrell

Last Saturday, Galax basketball coach Verl Brown traveled to Bristol to scout the team he expected to face in the Group A Division 1 state quarterfinals.

He also picked up a thing or two about Twin Valley.

Galax battled through Twin Springs to get to last year's Group A Division 1 semifinals. Friday, the Maroon Tide will try to earn its second straight trip to the final four when it faces Twin Valley at 7 p.m. at Pulaski County High School.

Despite the Panthers entering the state tournament as a region runner-up, Brown feels the boys from Pilgrim's Knob could be the class of far-Southwest Virginia.

"Watching that tournament, they were the best team," said Brown. "I was leaning more toward scouting Appalachia. [Twin Valley] had a 13-point lead and got careless, but I think they are the best team over there. You don't get there year in and year out without good players and a solid staff."

The Panthers (21-5) have plenty of firepower back from the team that knocked off Eastern Montgomery in last year's state quarterfinals. Leading the way are Josh Smith and Hunter Simpson, who combined for 34 points in the Region D title game.

"They are a team with experience," Brown said. "I was very impressed with their floor sense. The thing that worries me is the slow tempo."

Galax will face another 2-3 zone in the quarterfinals, but a far different look than what it saw in Region C play.

"We're a shooting team. We can play against a 2-3 zone, but this 2-3 is a little different," said Galax senior Scott Alouf. "They play a little better. They're going to have a hand in your face, and that's a 2-3 we haven't seen this year."

The tempo is another concern for Brown, who expects the Panthers to attempt to keep the pace under control in an effort to hide a thin bench.

"Not that they can't play fast, but I saw a couple of kids come in who were slower than the first five, and we need to make them play our pace," Brown said. "They slow it down, run a motion offense against a man defense, and if you play zone, they'll pick for [their guards]. They shoot the ball well."

So does Galax. The Maroon Tide was unbeatable this year when it was hitting from long range, but found itself in some tight spots when it wasn't. Grayson County knocked off Galax on a night in which the Tide hit just four 3-pointers, and Bland County came with a couple of points of two upset wins thanks to spotty outside shooting.

In the region tournament, the touch came and went with the scoreboard. Galax was a combined 15-of-31 from long range in the first half of the region semifinals and finals, but an unsightly 0-for-17 in the second half of those two games.

"Hopefully we are hitting, and we have to take care of the ball and rebound with them," Brown said. "They're not that much bigger than us, but I like the way they play. They're well coached and very disciplined."

The winner of tonight's game will face the winner between Eastern Montgomery and Appalachia in the state semifinals. That game is scheduled for 5 p.m. next Thursday (March 12) at Virginia Commonwealth University's Siegel Center. The Division 1 championship game is Friday, March 13 at 5 p.m.

I went to the game tonight and twin valley is one of the beat teams I've seen play around here. There defense was smothering and the shooters just could not get any looks all night for Galax. TVs point guard was awesome and that number 20 was very good as well. Josh smith was good but he did get hurt so I guess he didn't play his best game tonight but I thought 20 was just as good as him, anyway they would kill most of the swd teams on most every night.

no i go to carroll which is right next to galax, so i know a few people from there, but i mostly just went to see a good game and hung out with some friends. pulaski is only a 30-40 minute drive so I just decided to go last minute kind of. I really wanted to see twin valley play because i had heard how good they were and i was impressed.

TV's point guard is Garrett horne and #20 is Lucas shortridge .. Luke played a good game and garrett knocked down some big shots and did a great job of handling the ball ..

Edited by nolepanther

the thing with twin valley is.. you cant just concentrate on one player to shut down.. cuz on any given nigh.. any of there 5 starters can drop 20... and the ones who dont score as much.. benefit the team with assists and defense.. they are truly a well oiled machine.. and play better team basketball than any team ive seen.. if they keep it up.. i think they have a chance at packin home some rings next week..