Region IV tournament

region4fan

But that doesn't necessarily mean that a school that has an enrollment number under that will be A. If the are pretty close i guess they just choose. Perfect example Giles has roughly 700 some kids, same as Tazewell.

Because we were talking about how the SWD teams can't compete with the RRD teams because they have way bigger enrollments.

Yes.... this was what I was hinting at

If some of the SWD Schools dropped....they would actually make a "state" apperence but the SWD has not much of a chance because of the RRD. Yea the SWD hsa Abdington who cleans up in districts in most sports, but finds themselves struggling in Regional play.

Yea with Tazewell gaining pocy students the enrollment is about 700. BUt how is a school with around 700 compete with some one three or four times the size (taking for granite not knowing the enrollment of the RRD schools). I do know that the RRD is way bigger than alot of the SWD schools

thats not why there isnt much competition. just a really bad excuse.[/quote

Just a bad excuse???? yea ok I do believe Enrollment is quite a seperating thing.

I am sorry but that was a terible comment and wasted my time.

Most people will agree that enrollment size matters

Enrollment does matter. If you have more kids to choose from you might just be able to field a better team. Of course there are exceptions to this in any sport. But look at it like this if you have a school of say 1,600 students and a school with 600. You are roughly 40% more likely to get better because you have more to choose from.

A lot of things play into that, yes most RRD teams have bigger schools and probably have quite a few one sport athletes as most places around here don't have that many. Second they are closer to places with legitimate travel teams to play on, which is a much higher level of soccer. Which as you can tell makes a big difference.

Edited by taz_11

well. most swd teams have 1-2 pretty decent players. so if we double their size they now have 4, maybe 5 good players. are you gonna win regions now?

besides, even if these swd teams were moved to single a, would that make much of a difference on how well they play?

Enrollment does matter. If you have more kids to choose from you might just be able to field a better team. Of course there are exceptions to this in any sport. But look at it like this if you have a school of say 1,600 students and a school with 600. You are roughly 40% more likely to get better because you have more to choose from.

A lot of things play into that, yes most RRD teams have bigger schools and probably have quite a few one sport athletes as most places around here don't have that many. Second they are closer to places with legitimate travel teams to play on, which is a much higher level of soccer. Which as you can tell makes a big difference.

Dead on, with 1 small exception.

It's much higher than a 40% chance. You have a 167% greater talent pool to draw from, all things being equal, with that disparity in enrollment.

Enrollment MIGHT matter. Except for the fact that the Blacksburg team plays YEAR ROUND. They don't have many soccer players playing other sports because they are soccer players. They play travel in the summer and fall, indoor in the winter, then high school in the spring. They have a core group of kids that play year round and THAT is what makes them so much better. They have a CHEMISTRY that teams in say the SWD might not have. They also have the advantage of having D-1 coaches just a call away from being there in 5 or so minutes, VT coaches that is. THAT is why Blacksburg is head and shoulders above the rest. I don't know about CS or HV, but that is the main reason Blacksburg is above the SWD teams.

well. most swd teams have 1-2 pretty decent players. so if we double their size they now have 4, maybe 5 good players. are you gonna win regions now?

besides, even if these swd teams were moved to single a, would that make much of a difference on how well they play?

its not as though every player from blacksburg (or any other team in the state) goes on to play d1 or even college ball at all. i think the real difference is the other players on the pitch, not the big-name signees. i am a firm believer that its not necessarily god-given talent that makes a player--its hard work and hours put in on the field that will make the difference between taking up space and being a solid, contributing player (albeit maybe not a spectacular one) for the other six beyond those four or five good ones. so, depending on the dedication of the kids, yes that could be the difference between winning regions and not.

also, while it would make no difference in how well they actually play, facing A competition at the state and regioin level instead of AA would make the teams much more successful on paper--but im sure you already know that. sad as it is, virginia high is proving it. a team that many SWD teams are beating will make states in soccer this year, unless im very wrong.

Actually, dropping to Single A might not be as easy as you think. To my knowledge there have been 4 games played between Single A (Clinch Mountain District) and SWD teams this year. VHS, which finished first in the CMD, beat Marion 3-1 and lost to Abingdon 0-4. John Battle, which finished second in the CMD, tied Tazewell 4-4. Gate City, which finished fourth in the CMD, defeated Richlands 4-2.

Edited by 5362

ok so back to the region tournament...what do you guys think the outcome will be of the Blacksburg Abingdon game will be assuming both teams win their first game

I think it would be around 4-0 or 5-0 in favor of Blacksburg.

you must admit that blacksburg will come in overconfident which could make it more interesting

Doubt it. Teams that have "been there" don't take that type of attitude. They know what it takes to get the job done and they go out and do it.

it is unlikely that they will be overconfident in any tournament game, but they have already lost and tied some district matches. that could always just make them come out with something to prove though.

you must admit that blacksburg will come in overconfident which could make it more interesting

I doubt that. Their coching staff would never let that happen. There is a reason why they are always in the final four at the end of the season.