Richlands downs HV

Richlands 3

Hidden Valley 0

Ethain Keene must have pitched a gem for Richlands. Only gave up 3 hits from what i heard.

If anyone was there and has any details please post. Thanks!

By Allen Gregory

Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: May 29, 2009

SALEM, Va. – Richlands senior Ethain Keene was in a tough spot.

The bases were loaded with no outs in the bottom of the sixth inning, and the leading hitter from Hidden Valley was up in Friday’s Region IV semifinal baseball game. Richlands led 3-0 at the time. Fans from both teams on their feet for the pivotal sequence at Kiwanis Park.

“It kind of scared me a little bit, but I knew my defense was playing really good,†Keene said. “I just tried to make the batter hit the ball and roll a double play.â€

Mission accomplished.

The left-handed Keene snared a sharp grounder from power-hitting catcher Eric Vess, then fired the ball to catcher Joel Elswick who converted the double play by throwing to first base. Richlands held on for the 3-0 win and berth in today’s 3 p.m. title game.

It was sweet redemption for Richlands, which lost to Hidden Valley the past two years in the Group AA quarterfinals and regional semifinals. The Blue Tornado took a 23-0 record into last year’s regional battle with Hidden Valley, which featured current New York Yankees minor-league pitcher Mikey O’Brien.

Richlands coach Brad Strong had confidence in the 6-foot-3 Keene, a football standout who pitched in Tuesday’s quarterfinal win over Bassett. Keene allowed only one hit through the first five innings Friday, finishing with a 3-hitter.

“I asked Ethain [Thursday] if he wanted the ball in this game, and he said ‘Yes Sir!’ That’s exactly what a coach likes to hear,†Strong said. “Ethain did a great job, our defense played tremendous, and we did the right things to move runners around the bases.â€

It was a near-perfect performance for Richlands. All three outfielders made diving catches on the slick grass, while the Blues (15-8) collected seven hits against a pair of Titan pitchers.

As usual, sophomore Bradley Strong set the pace for Richlands on offense and defense. Strong, hitting better than .600 on the season, began the game with a triple to the center-field wall and ended the game with a diving catch on the left field line.

“After I hit the triple, it was contagious. I’ve never seen us so pumped up,†Strong said. “Keene was clutch in all the tough spots.â€

Nearly every player in the Richlands lineup hit the ball hard. Reece Strong collected two singles and drove in a run, while Eric Stiltner singled and doubled. Elswick and Erik Hess drove in the other runs for Richlands.

“It’s tough getting beat by the teams from the Piedmont and River Ridge District every year,†Bradley Strong said. “We want to show them we can play ball, too, and represent the Southwest District. I think we did that today.

“Keene really got the job done for us. He was clutch in all the tough spots.

Jordan Barnette, Keene’s cousin, pitched against Hidden Valley in the last two playoff losses for Richlands. While Keene only stuck out three Friday, he kept the Hidden Valley batters guessing.

“I’ve been in some pressure situations before, so I’m kind of used to it,†Keene said. “It really helps to have a defense like I have. I expect nothing less than the best from those guys.

“It feels great to get an edge over all these teams in the playoffs. Hidden Valley has become like a long-distance rival for us. You remember all those [playoff] games.â€

Hidden Valley (19-5) earned some redemption of its own late Thursday with a quarterfinal win over Abingdon, which shocked the Titans in last year’s Region IV title game. Hidden Valley coach Jason Taylor was impressed with the all-around effort of the Blues Friday.

“They made several diving catches in key situations, and their pitcher kept us off-balance,†Taylor said. “We hit the ball well at times, but we just didn’t get anything to show for it.â€

Taylor lamented the lost opportunity in the sixth.

“That was big,†Taylor said. “We had the bases loaded and our best hitter up. The Richlands pitcher made a good play and it killed our rally.

“We lost of players last year and no one gave us a chance to get this far. We expected to play next week just like Richlands did.â€

The Richlands coach was delighted with the aggressive approach of his squad.

“We kept putting the pressure on, and that’s what we’ve been trying to do all season,†Strong said. “The good Lord blessed us today.â€

Keene was certainly counting his blessings after the emotional win.

“This is the first time I’ve ever gone to state since Little League,†Keene said. “It’s really exciting.â€

----------------------------------------

BLUEFIELD DAILY TELEGRAPH

http://www.bdtonline.com/localsports/local_story_149224157.html?keyword=secondarystory

Baseball: Tornado defense key in win

Life has many choices---eternity two

Do you really think Allen Gregory made it up? Bradley has consistently hit the ball well all year. I take a picture of the score sheet after most games I shoot, so I just pulled six of them at random and he was 14-23 (.609) in those games.