BDT-Tennis: Grace Sarver (Bland) wins Group A Singles Title

tbgfan

AFTERNOON UPDATE: Sarver wins Group A singles title

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

RADFORD, Va. — The Sarver family tradition continues.

Bland County freshman Grace Sarver captured the Group A girls tennis singles championship with two wins on a muggy Thursday in the Virginia High League’s Spring Fling at Radford University’s Dedmon Center courts.

Sarver defeated Michelle Repper of George Mason 6-1, 7-5 in the finale, after beating Middlesex’s Jessica Anderson 6-3, 6-2 in the early morning opener.

Finishing with a 25-0 record on the season, Sarver followed up the Region C and Mountain Empire District titles with her family’s 12th state title, following in the success of her sister and Bland coach Ashleigh Beasley, who won four singles and one doubles crown for the Bears from 1996-99.

“It definitely puts some pressure on me since she won four in a row, but I’m trying to do as good as I can and match her,†Sarver said.

Sarver’s brother, Andy, won six state titles at Bluefield High School from 2000-02, including three team, two singles and one doubles crown from 2000-02. Sarver's father, Mark, is also a local tennis professional.

For more on Sarver's state title, see Friday's Daily Telegraph

Life has many choices---eternity two