charlotte country day

thegamer

just wondering if anyone has heard how they were doin this year..i was on their website and they havent updated scores yet. thanks in advance

I don't know how they are, but they've historically churned out some good players.

A couple named Pearman who went to UVA and did OK for themselves. ;)

I don't know how they are, but they've historically churned out some good players.

A couple named Pearman who went to UVA and did OK for themselves. ;)

I'm guessing your not talking about Cedric? He went to WC didn't he? I assume you are talking about Alvin?

Guest lookoutmountain

8/28/09 7:30 PM vs. Andrews (High Point, NC)

9/04/09 7:30 PM vs. Charlotte Catholic (Charlotte, NC)

9/11/09 7:30 PM vs. AFC Rangers (Charlotte, NC)

9/17/09 7:00 PM @ Bluefield (Bluefield, WV)

9/25/09 7:00 PM vs. Ravenscroft (Raleigh, NC)

10/02/09 7:30 PM @ Victory Christian Center (Charlotte, NC)

10/09/09 7:30 PM vs. Q Foundation Academy (Charlotte, NC)

10/16/09 7:00 PM @ Charlotte Christian (Charlotte, NC)

10/23/09 7:30 PM vs. Providence Day (Charlotte, NC)

10/30/09 7:30 PM @ Charlotte Latin (Charlotte, NC)

Country Day-Charlotte is a private (West Virginia AAA) sized school with about 900 students grade 9 through 12 and 1700 students K through 12. They play in the North Carolina NCISAA Division 1 which is comparible to North Carolina (small) AAA and Virginia Div 4 in size. Contrary to what some may know, Country Day has been a good team in North Carolina, but not dominant or great team. They are no "super out of state powerhouse" that many believed in the Bluefield area last year. Last year they were 8 and 3 in reg season and lost the 1st round of the playoffs. In 2007, they were 9 and 3 losing the second round of the playoffs. In 2006, they went 10-3 losing the second round of the playoffs. The difference in the Charlotte area and so many other areas outside Southern WV is the evolution of coaching. The spread offenses coming into play now in Southern WV and far SW Virginia was done by several coaches in Charlotte, Durham, Greensboro, Fayetteville for many years prior. These teams coaches have truly evolved to a legit spread offense and are accustomed to playing teams who know how to defend it; therefore, any changes Bluefield made defensively is/was easily countered by the Country Day Offensive coach last season. The difference is...the teams they play can counter again and again on defense, but for many such as Bluefield who aren't used to playing against a true spread type offense, countering only with 1 or 2 defensive adjustments won't cut it. I'm not wishing to toot the horn of Mance from Richlands, but once again, his coaching knowledge has prevailed and served him well because Richlands runs the most complete and evolved version of a spread type offense in far western SWVA and most important, having the ability to adjust multiple times when the defense adjusts, the only difference for some who would say...why does Bluefield beat Richlands......Speed. Country Day like many metro area schools have speed to go with that spread and a simple slant in caught by a Richlands WR across the middle for 12 yards on Bluefield who is tackled by the safety is a little different than the WR for Country Day who blows by the safety for a TD in open space. As for this year, it may be reasonable to call Country Day a powerhouse. They are ranked 26th in the state of North Carolina overall. That's likely a bit inflated due to them being in a major metro area, but they do return a host of starters. Bluefield High ranks 16th overall in the state of WV preseason this year according to Maxpreps.

Yep... Alvin was a Dudley Award finalist in 2004 and plays for the Jags.

Yeah, I know he plays for the Jags. They are my favorite team. But he sees limited playing time due to MJD, but has always impressed when he does play.

In my opinion people didn't suggest they were a powerhouse nc team, only some top notch competition for bluefield. That they were, they were easily the best team bluefield faced in '08.

That said as for the comments about the spread o, while I certainly agree their coaching is likely considerably ahead of some others states as far as scheme's go, it seemed to me there wasn't anything about any particualar scheme that really did bluefield in, they simply ran the ball at and over bluefield's d throughout the game more than anything else, they had a fb in particular who seemed to get about 15 or 20 yards per touch. If I'm correct he was only in 11th grade.

Overall though, informative post.

Edited by buzzsawBeaver

Guest lookoutmountain

As for people not suggesting they were a NC powerhouse team, well, not in so many words, but one poster in this thread mentioned they looked like a Div 2 college? If that's not suggesting they are a powerhouse team, then it is suggesting there must be scores of Div 2 college appearing teams that play AA to AAA sized ball in Carolina. The Fullback was an 11th grader. The difference in teams such as Country Day and others that run evolved spread offenses away from the Mountains......yes, they ran the ball at will on Bluefield, but they ran the ball in open space, having the ability to run out of wide formations at times and also the ability to throw out of those formations. The back you mentioned has a younger brother who is a freshman this year and will likely get some carries. The younger brother is likely a future Div 1 talent.

Edited by lookoutmountain

As for people not suggesting they were a NC powerhouse team, well, not in so many words, but one poster in this thread mentioned they looked like a Div 2 college? If that's not suggesting they are a powerhouse team, then it is suggesting there must be scores of Div 2 college appearing teams that play AA to AAA sized ball in Carolina. The Fullback was an 11th grader. The difference in teams such as Country Day and others that run evolved spread offenses away from the Mountains......yes, they ran the ball at will on Bluefield, but they ran the ball in open space, having the ability to run out of wide formations at times and also the ability to throw out of those formations. The back you mentioned has a younger brother who is a freshman this year and will likely get some carries. The younger brother is likely a future Div 1 talent.

Granted that's such a suggestion, but if I'm correct that was someone on the va preps message board. But nothing to argue over, they were a strong team and will be likely in '09. That said I didn't go to the game and only listened to it, exactly what was what during the game except for player and yardage results and type of play, (on the ground or pass), it was really difficult to tell anything about the actual game, with all due respect to the radio announcers they were very lacking. Did you actually go to it?

Guest lookoutmountain

I didn't attend last yr to that one, but have watched Country Day play Anson County in the past and Providence-Charlotte which is where my wife went to school. Most of the private schools in Charlotte whether it be Catholic, Latin, Country Day, etc..run spread offenses. Actually, Country Day is perhaps the least talented of the Div 1 private 11 man teams in the Charlotte area, but is exceptionally well coached. They are tough and there is no question about that. I believe you will see a much closer game in Bluefield and them this year. Freddie with have learned much from seeing them last year and you will see the Bluefield defense much better prepared.

Guest lookoutmountain

Country Day opened up tonight and won over Andrews-Highpoint 27-20. The team they beat was a good AA team in North Carolina that usually goes 7-4 to 8-3 in regular seasons and make the playoffs usually winning one game then losing the second game.