Just how good is JJ Kelly?

dshreeves

I realize the schedule they have played early on isn't the best...

But they seem to be very impressive this season. I haven't had the chance to see them play so far this season but to those who have, do you think they have what it takes to win the LPD this season and make a run in the playoffs? Seeing that they have to go on the road to take on Clintwood and Burton it doesn't seem likely they will be able to win the LPD but you never know.

It's would be nice to see someone new in Region D, Division 2 really step up and make a run.

I realize the schedule they have played early on isn't the best...

But they seem to be very impressive this season. I haven't had the chance to see them play so far this season but to those who have, do you think they have what it takes to win the LPD this season and make a run in the playoffs? Seeing that they have to go on the road to take on Clintwood and Burton it doesn't seem likely they will be able to win the LPD but you never know.

It's would be nice to see someone new in Region D, Division 2 really step up and make a run.

I think we are a playoff squad (which is nice considering how hard hit we were by graduation). Honest assessment: We aren't going to allow anybody to get much on the ground,and we'll move the ball on the ground behind a GOOD offensive line. My concerns are an inexperienced (though physically gifted and with great size at 6'3")QB who needs to get the air game going,and a pass defense that will make big plays,but give up some as well (PH got one last night). Coach Salyers' philosophy is "You can't throw a TD pass on your back",and because we bring intense heat to the backfield,sometimes we'll give up a play or two. However,the philosophy has led to a slew of sacks,forced fumbles,picks,and defensive TDs this year. We were picked to finish 4th in the Lonesome Pine Distric this year because of the guys that we lost, and were tabbed as a "darkhorse/sleeper",but I honestly believe we are better than that. As for the schedule? We opened the season at the Cumberland Distric Champion (expected to repeat). We played Pound in week 2 ('Cats are an LPD team so there's nothing we can do about that). Come Saturday next week,the crew from Pound will be sitting at 3-1 with their lone loss to us. Last night we played a PH team that pushed highly-touted (by some folks anyway) Abingdon for 4 quarters. Unless you are the Powell Valley Vikings,then you have no right to criticize anybody's schedule in this area. TW will also be 3-1 come Saturday,making JJK's opponent's combined record being 7-4 .

Edited by Unchained

Less than impressive competition thus far but I think they are easily a playoff team with their ability to score points matched with a solid defense. I think an 8-2 season is easily within reach and 9-1 isn't too crazy either.

I hope they do!

The general consensus seems to be that no one in Region D or C has a shot at winning state. If not us,I'd love to see one of our teams shove a sh#tburger down NOVA's throat. I am as avid a JJK fan as there is,but when one of our locals goes to play for it all,I go with them and root for 'em like they are my own. We get looked down on "Back Where I Come From",but I am damn proud to be a Southwest Virginian. I've been to many places,but this is HOME.

The general consensus seems to be that no one in Region D or C has a shot at winning state. If not us,I'd love to see one of our teams shove a sh#tburger down NOVA's throat. I am as avid a JJK fan as there is,but when one of our locals goes to play for it all,I go with them and root for 'em like they are my own. We get looked down on "Back Where I Come From",but I am damn proud to be a Southwest Virginian. I've been to many places,but this is HOME.

couldnt agree more

unchained is so far up bi's @$$ that he don't know what's going on. kelly will see later on in the season how good they really are. and so will everybody else. play somebody why don't you. then do your talking.

I think the jury is still out on Kelly...until they face PV, Burton, Clintwood, or maybe even Appalachia I'll not be sold on them. They have a pretty decent team but I'm not sure how good they really are. They'll have to beat an opponent of signifigance before I bump them up out of the "decent" category cuz they lost alot of players to graduation. And, last year was their "up" year cuz they actually beat PV for the second time since Atari was invented...lol

unchained is so far up bi's @$$ that he don't know what's going on. kelly will see later on in the season how good they really are. and so will everybody else. play somebody why don't you. then do your talking.

classy post. Thankfully,I am indeed a bigger and better man and will leave it at that. God Bless!

unchained is just like all of the rest of the delusional kelly fans. they are a decent team but im not convinced they are great. they were sitting pretty last year until they played some good teams like burton and clintwood. they beat the sorriest powell valley team ever in history last year and barely beat them at that. bi started talking about having the best line in the region and the very next week that bunch from over in clintwood beat them 42-0 allowed about 10 yards rushing. so dont do any talking about running the ball on anybody until you play somebody. the opponents you guys have played could combine teams and still couldn't beat a decent lpd team.

unchained is just like all of the rest of the delusional kelly fans. they are a decent team but im not convinced they are great. they were sitting pretty last year until they played some good teams like burton and clintwood. they beat the sorriest powell valley team ever in history last year and barely beat them at that. bi started talking about having the best line in the region and the very next week that bunch from over in clintwood beat them 42-0 allowed about 10 yards rushing. so dont do any talking about running the ball on anybody until you play somebody. the opponents you guys have played could combine teams and still couldn't beat a decent lpd team.

Exactly...Kelly's schedule up to this point has looked like a Cumberland District Schedule..

Exactly...Kelly's schedule up to this point has looked like a Cumberland District Schedule..

You guys are the ONLY ones in the entire region who can say anything about JJK's schedule. Everyone else is hereby dismissed. At no point did I say that JJK was this unbeatable juggernaut. In an earlier post,I gave a list of concerns. Way too many haters on here. Like I said before: We play in the LPD,which means we'll have plenty of chances to see if we are a 4th-place team or not.

Edited by Unchained

You guys are the ONLY ones in the entire region who can say anything about JJK's schedule. Everyone else is hereby dismissed. At no point did I say that JJK was this unbeatable juggernaut. In an earlier post,I gave a list of concerns. Way too many haters on here. Like I said before: We play in the LPD,which means we'll have plenty of chances to see if we are a 4th-place team or not.

Gate City can't say anything?

I like the fact you defend your team and are all about them. But do you think that sometimes you are just making it worse?? Why not let the team and its play do the talking and then you want have to get on here and defend or brag on them, because their actions and not yours are doing the work.

I like the fact you defend your team and are all about them. But do you think that sometimes you are just making it worse?? Why not let the team and its play do the talking and then you want have to get on here and defend or brag on them, because their actions and not yours are doing the work.

If that was directed at me,You need re-read,and you'll see that in posts I have made,that I have said that JJK will have plenty of chances this season to prove whether they are a good squad or not.

dude kelly has THE WEAKEST schedule around. most cumberland district teams have tougher schedules. every team in the region can talk.

im not dissing kelly. they have lost for so many seasons that they need to experience some success. and they do that by playing schools who are no good. so dont brag about them like they can run on anybody or stop anybody because they aint played nobody.

Edited by newuser

dude kelly has THE WEAKEST schedule around. most cumberland district teams have tougher schedules. every team in the region can talk.

im not dissing kelly. they have lost for so many seasons that they need to experience some success. and they do that by playing schools who are no good. so dont brag about them like they can run on anybody or stop anybody because they aint played nobody.

(wondering if you have reading comprehension issues). To say that most CD teams have tougher schedules is inaccurate btw. I have said before that JJK will find out hw good they are with the meat of the LPD schedule on the way. I honestly believe this team will make some noise this year. Time will tell. JJK's schedule is comparable to everybody else's around (except PV and GC). Nobody has been playing word-beaters thus far.

Edited by Unchained

Kelly has 4 LPD games featuring teams that would wipe the floor with every team in the CD...so, no, there isn't a Cumberland team that has a schedule anywhere near as tough as Kelly's. Now, the non-district games scheduled for Kelly are weak...almost as weak as a CD district slate...

• 1 month later...

I can't resist. Can you hear me now little internet troll? BTW TW did exactly as I called for and won the CD title last night.