RHS girls varsity

longhorn fan

Tryouts-Varsity programs do not have try-outs. The only time you have try-out s is when you can not get enough players to play for you on the varsity level. I believe middle and rec leagues have try-outs. But I guess Richlands varsity has a try-out because they act like a middle school program. I heard the 8th grade girls team beat the varsity in a scrimmage last week.

Tryouts-Varsity programs do not have try-outs. The only time you have try-out s is when you can not get enough players to play for you on the varsity level. I believe middle and rec leagues have try-outs. But I guess Richlands varsity has a try-out because they act like a middle school program. I heard the 8th grade girls team beat the varsity in a scrimmage last week.

I wouldn't doubt if the 8th graders did beat them. Brittany Allen is going to be a great player for Richlands over the next 5 years.

Tazewell's 8th grade beat Richlands' 8th grade girls the other night and it wasn't a close game. I agree Brittany and Reagan are both good players -- but they will have to work to stay ahead of the competition. It is very good for them that Tazewell County now allows 8th graders to move up to JV once the middle school season is over. Should be beneficial to their transitioning to the speed of the game.

Actually, most varsity programs have try outs -- everyone that comes out should be aiming to make varsity from freshman to senior. One should never think that just because you are a freshman you make JV -- and one should also not think a junior has to make varsity. The VHSL rule says juniors can play JV if they have not competed in that sport at the varsity level. It should never be assumed that you make it -- you need to work and maintain a good attitude.

Reagan and Brittany are both a triple threat on the court. I believe if they were there the Tazewell game wouldve have a different outcome. Reagan can shoot the lights out. Brittany is a force when it comes to driving the ball. They style of play compliments each other and they are a force that is hard to contain. That being said their is also other talent on the 8th gr team. Hannah Alley has came a long ways. They are several who can rebound the ball and are very scrappy.

I think the middle school at Richlands is loaded with a lot of talent that will prove to be big contenders when they are in high school. Fred Phillips did an outstanding job with the 6/7 grade team last year. There are a couple of very good 6&7th graders on the team now. The 8th grade has some great girls that are doing quite well. Brittany & Regan are an awesome tandem, as well as some of the other girls. Working with Dennis Palmer has been of great benefit for several of the middle school girls . He really shows an interest in making the girls play their best. I would like to see him move up next year and take the varsity job. RHS varsity desperately need someone with skill and dedication at the helm. The program has been allowed to flounder for too many years. If it had been football, the coach would have been booted a long time ago. It's a shame that the principal, Karen Webb, does not have any more interest in the girls program. Maybe Richlands should start at the top and get rid of her first then work their way down.

I look forward to watching both of these girls play over the next few years. I saw their 6th-7th grade bunch play last year and they were really good. Things are looking good for Richlands girl's basketball program.

I think the middle school at Richlands is loaded with a lot of talent that will prove to be big contenders when they are in high school. Fred Phillips did an outstanding job with the 6/7 grade team last year. There are a couple of very good 6&7th graders on the team now. The 8th grade has some great girls that are doing quite well. Brittany & Regan are an awesome tandem, as well as some of the other girls. Working with Dennis Palmer has been of great benefit for several of the middle school girls . He really shows an interest in making the girls play their best. I would like to see him move up next year and take the varsity job. RHS varsity desperately need someone with skill and dedication at the helm. The program has been allowed to flounder for too many years. If it had been football, the coach would have been booted a long time ago. It's a shame that the principal, Karen Webb, does not have any more interest in the girls program. Maybe Richlands should start at the top and get rid of her first then work their way down.

Webb wasn't even at the football game last night

Does anyone know how the 8th grade girls teams are this season for Dublin Middle, Pulaski, or Radford? There is a tourney in Dublin starting today just for the 8th grade girls and it consists of those teams plus Graham, Ft. Chiswell and a three others that i cannot think of right now?!

Well we got to find out last night about the Dublin 8th grade girls basketball team. VERY big, fairly fast and have several girls who play together on aau teams during the summer. They press most of the game- not very effective but descent at best. They are a very good cherry picking team with girls getting the rebound and throwing it long to whoever is releasing!

• 3 weeks later...

I heard Richlands girls varsity looked really good in their scrimmage the other day. It is not always the number setting on the bench that counts, it's the talent and heart of those that care to play that really matters. I hope they do well.

Guest quispbird

They got some good young talent.

Cassidy Richardson is a straight baller for a 9th grader.

She should be playing on the jv football team.