1968 Hagstrom Viking

NewHampshireRed

Just curious if anyone can give me a value on this vary rare guitar. For you people who do not recognize this guitar right off, it's the exact make and model of the 1968 Hagstrom Viking that Elvis Presley played in the 68 comeback special.The Hagstrom Elvis played actually belong to Scotty Moore his guitarist, but Elvis switched guitars during the special with him, the 68 was rare at the time, but after the special the 69 models and up became fairly popular. I bought one for $1,040, and im curious what the actual value is. I have played for many years now, but my fiance is a huge Elvis fan and wants to learn so no matter the actual value this guitar was worth every dollar.

Edited by mapper

they also have a list of serial numbers on certian types of guitars that they know the bloodlines on that are missing in action...if you come across one of those you have hit the lotto....so on anything old I'd ask them about that sort of thing...as far as vintage guitars go, that place is the authority.

they also have a list of serial numbers on certian types of guitars that they know the bloodlines on that are missing in action...if you come across one of those you have hit the lotto....so on anything old I'd ask them about that sort of thing...as far as vintage guitars go, that place is the authority.

I called and got talked to them, and he told me to take pic's and email them to their website. It only cost me $50 to get the guitar apraised. It should only be a day or so and I will find out.They will email me a apraisel card, and mail me an authentic hard copy signed from George Gruhn himself. I really appreciate it. I checked their website out and some of their vinatge Martins areseeling for 40 to 50 grand! I think one old Martin D-28 was marked down from 90,000 to $68,000 lol.... Apparently there is some very valuable guitars out there.

yeah...if you EVER go to Nashville...you should look them up...they are right in the middle of everything right up from the Wildhorse and it's a guitar players paradise...there is more expensive wood hanging in that building than probably anywhere else in one spot in the world...love it...I go there every time i get a chance and just walk around and drool...they are top notch people.

yeah...if you EVER go to Nashville...you should look them up...they are right in the middle of everything right up from the Wildhorse and it's a guitar players paradise...there is more expensive wood hanging in that building than probably anywhere else in one spot in the world...love it...I go there every time i get a chance and just walk around and drool...they are top notch people.

My fiance and I are heading to Memphis this summer to visit Graceland and Sun Studios. Im going to see if she just wants to make a bigger trip and swing through Nashville also lol

if you have never been, try to find sometime there is a show there you like and go...I'd say stay at the Holiday Inn Express there on Broadway...that's where I always stay...they have a shuttle and will drop you off downtown so you don't have to drive anywhwere because there is NO place to park...in the summer I highly recommend the Trolley lol...nothing like going bar hopping in Nashville on the Trolley....spend 2 nights there and have your fun then go on to Memphis.

Let me know what they say about the guitar.

if you have never been, try to find sometime there is a show there you like and go...I'd say stay at the Holiday Inn Express there on Broadway...that's where I always stay...they have a shuttle and will drop you off downtown so you don't have to drive anywhwere because there is NO place to park...in the summer I highly recommend the Trolley lol...nothing like going bar hopping in Nashville on the Trolley....spend 2 nights there and have your fun then go on to Memphis.

Let me know what they say about the guitar.

Sounds like it is a blast in Nashville. Whats the driving time between Nashville and Memphis? I will let you know as soon as I find out.

Sounds like it is a blast in Nashville. Whats the driving time between Nashville and Memphis? I will let you know as soon as I find out.

about 3.5 hours or so...not bad...unless you hit a traffic mess or something.

they ever email you back?

Just got the email. $2,520 is the appraisal value. So turns out the guitar was worth more than I payed. The 1968 Hagstrom Viking 2 I have is not a Viking 2 deluxe like Elvis played. In the Email they told me if this where the Deluxe, that guitar in good condition would fetch anywhere between $4,000-$10,000 depending on what the serial number was. But overall I'm well pleased, the only diff in the one I have and deluxe is on the body of the guitar where the Hagstrom logo is at, there is a cross bar on on the golden flame emblem that holds the bridge.

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/hagstromViking.php

The one in the middle is the deluxe, mine is exactly like this except for the crossbar on the flame emblem. And mine is also Cherry red like the one played in the 68 comeback special. I should get my authentic hard copy appraisal card in the mail in the next day or two.