BDT-Pocy Coal POW-Katie Joe Lester (Twin Valley)

tbgfan

Lester continuing family tradition on the basketball court

By LLOYD COMBS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

PILGRIM’S KNOB, Va. — There probably aren’t any records on the subject, but it’s bound to be an exlusive club: The sister-brother, 1,000 point club.

Katie Jo Lester is one member of that club, and she’s proud of the distinction.

Lester averaged 25.6 points and 13.0 rebounds over a stretch of five games in eight days to earn Pocahontas Coal Association-Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week honors.

Just a junior, Lester reached 1,000 points for her career in her first game this season. She joined her brother, Jeremiah Lester, who also scored a 1,000 points in his career at Twin Valley.

Jeremiah was the 2006 Group A Player of the Year in Virginia. Their father, Bobby Lester, was a standout at Garden High School, as were several uncles, including Jeff Lester, who also had a successful career at UVa.-Wise.

Katie Jo Lester is proud to be a part of the family legacy. It’s where she learned the game, by holding her own with the Lester boys.

“I always wanted be like every one of them,†Lester said. “They helped me out a lot.

“I think it made a big difference in me playing more physical, and I learned a lot more of the basics by playing with them.â€

Lester is quick enough to play out front and physical enough to hold her own inside, two of the many things about her game that impress her coach, Rick Goodman.

“She can play inside and play outside,†Goodman said. “She our leading scorer and our best rebounder, and our best defender.

“She has great basketball sense, great instincts. She can play well with or without the ball.â€

Lester hopes to follow in her brother’s footsteps as far as post-season success. Jeremiah’s Twin Valley team made it to the state finals his senior year.

Katie Jo played in the state semifinals as a freshman. She has a number of new teammates this season, but all of them will return with her next year.

“I want to do as good as Jeremiah,†Katie Jo added. “I admire him and I’ve always wanted to be like him.

“We’re getting better as a team. If we can’t do it this year maybe we can make a run at (state) next year.â€

NOTE: This selection covers games played for the past two weeks because of weather-related postponements.

Life has many choices---eternity two