Senior all-star game and best of the best showcase

fatherof4

If you are a basketball fan you need to stop by Castlewood High School this weekend and watch some games. There is 36 teams there this weekend, 28 of them are high school teams. Plus there will be having the Senior Girls and Boys All-Star Game on Saturday night starting at 6:00. 40 of the best senior players from the LPD, BDD, SWD, Hogo and the Cumberland districts will be playing in the All-Star game. We will have a Girls and Boys 3 point contest and Boys dunk contest. Some college coaches and scouts are suppose to be on hand to watch the action and hoping to sign a player or two. There is high school teams from as far away as Stafford and Roanoke VA. We have teams from WV, KY, TN and VA. There is also several local high school teams also playing in the tournament.

Here is the team list:

Twin Valley - Boys and Girls

Castlewood - Boys and Girls

VA Magic - Boys

Clintwood - Boys

JJ Kelly - Boys

Powell Valley - Boys

Carroll County - Boys

Tazewell - Boys

Stafford Stars - Boys and Girls

Lebanon - Boys

VA High - Boys

Gate City - Boys

Twin Springs - Boys

TN Outlaws - Boys

Shooting Stars - Girls

Graham - Girls

Copperheads - Girls

Rural Retreat - Girls

Haysi - Girls

Bristol Crusaders - Girls

Lady Chargers - Girls

Shelby Valley - Girls

Jonesville - Girls

Lee - Girls

Pound - Girls

Honaker - Girls

Edited by fatherof4

or if your are going tobe in Bristol come by Va High and see the orginal all star game being sponsored by ADDAIS anf the FCA. The areas best player swill be competing in the 4th annual all star game. Players form lebanon, gate city, Twin Valley, Richlands, Marion, Haysi, Coeburn, Abingdon, Twin Springs,Appalachia, St PAul, Powell Valley, Council, Pound, Lee Chilhowie, Rural Retreat, will be represented.

or if your are going tobe in Bristol come by Va High and see the orginal all star game being sponsored by ADDAIS anf the FCA. The areas best player swill be competing in the 4th annual all star game. Players form lebanon, gate city, Twin Valley, Richlands, Marion, Haysi, Coeburn, Abingdon, Twin Springs,Appalachia, St PAul, Powell Valley, Council, Pound, Lee Chilhowie, Rural Retreat, will be represented.

Just because it's the orginial All-Star game doesn't mean it's the best. To say you have the best players is also a joke. No Castlewood boys was even ask to play in the game, even though they won the regionals and advanced to the final four. Rueban Rasnick was the player of the year and Seth Justice, Zack Bush and Justin Smith was all on the All-District team. Plus Coach Rasnick was the COY and wasn't even ask to coach the team. I do not have anything against FCA or Gary, he is a great guy and I don't blame this on him. I would love to have the winner of our games play the winner of the Bristol games. I could set that up for April 17th weekend if they want to do it. We have players from Castlewood, Coeburn, Pound, Chilhowie, Rural Retreat, Carroll County, Marion, Graham, Hurley, Thomas Walker, Ervinton, Patrick Henry, Holston, Northwood, George Wythe and Grundy. To be honest both events was hurt by the scheduling issues. Even though our event had been scheduled over 2 months ago a couple of the coaches that had an issue with Castlewood decide to try to sabotage our event, but it didn't work. I think it was pretty childish and selfish to do this to a bunch of kids, because that's who it hurt. I know personally, because I have talked to many of the kids and have been told this by them. Good luck to all the kids this weekend. Both games will have a lot of talented players and both should be a lot of fun to watch.

Well last year wasn't Coach Rasnick asked to coach the team and turned it down. I was under the impression that the organizers set this up to try and hurt the original game. There seemed to be some feelings towards a former coach and the idea was to show him up. I could be wrong though since you are are in the inside at Castlewood. Of course the names I heard that will be in Bristol seems to be the regions top players in my opinion.

Well last year wasn't Coach Rasnick asked to coach the team and turned it down. I was under the impression that the organizers set this up to try and hurt the original game. There seemed to be some feelings towards a former coach and the idea was to show him up. I could be wrong though since you are are in the inside at Castlewood. Of course the names I heard that will be in Bristol seems to be the regions top players in my opinion.

Gary is with FCA and he was advised over 2 months ago of our date. Me and the guy from the Hogoheegee was working with him on this and had worked with him in the past. Once we set our date and contacted the kids then that's when they scheduled their event. I don't believe it was Gary's fought and I'm not blaming him. I believe Gary is in it for the right reason and just got caught in some bitter coaches "BS". I'm sure there is some good players at the Bristol event, but to say they have the best when you have no idea who is playing in Castlewood is stupid. I can't say we have the best either, but I can tell you our teams are stacked. Me and Travis from the Hogoheegee set this up and Coach Rasnick had nothing to do with it. I just ask him if we could use the gym and that was it. I connect all of our players and Travis connect all of his. The coaches who are set this on the same weekend of ours are selfish. This should about the kids, not about how you can stick it to another coach. If you want to stick it to a coach, beat them. That's the best way to pay a person back. Good luck to all the kids at both events. I hope everyone stays injury free and has a great time. Hopefully Gary can schedule the winners of this thing to play each other, so we can see who actually has the better players.

Dude you are blowing off some steam. Just relax if it is for the players and you have secured the best players why the need to blow off some steam. I hope everyone has a great time at both venues. Seriuosly I doubt you want a match between the winners. Good luck to you guys and watch the news Saturday for coverage of the Bristol game.

My understanding is that Jordon(ts), Pate and Riner(coe) Phillips (sp) are all playing in bristol form the cumberland that is some of the the all district players

Check out the Bristol paper for the coverage of our game. We have secured several of the best players from Southwest VA and I would love to play the winners. If Gary can get his guys back together we would definitley play them. Our Castlewood team has already beat most of the players that will be in Bristol all year long. You add the quality players we have from the SWD, BDD, LPD and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have much trouble. The Hogoheegee team is pretty loaded also.

Here is their rosters:

Girls

Kelsee Smith

Kariana Moore

Krystal Patton

Elizabeth Harris

Logan Moore

Heather Hash

Nicole Mooney

Jett Haga

Jenna Dix

Julie Compton

Eden Coe

Boys

Tristan Boysaw

Drew Lester

Tyler Akers

Kenneth Waugh

Seth McKinney

Andrew Russell

Andrew Arrington

Ty Frye

Jeremiah Thompson

Trevor Hagen

Tyler Dotson

Jeremy Stepp

Could you at least list the players that they will be playing? Also, its sad that you have this game scheduled two months in advance and someone has to schedule another game on the same night. Pretty spiteful on their part I guess.

Twin Springs - Ashley McConnell, Thomas Walker - Ashley Hensley and Jessica Montgomery, Carroll County - Kayla Goins, Audrey Dickens, Cydnie Cornell and Kaitlan Viars, Marion - Miranda Hayden and Morgan Goodbrod

So the hogoheegee is going to be playing players from from 4 districts? Is this going to even be a close game or fair to the hogoheegee?

Our teams are ready to roll. Everyone is pretty excited. The girls had their practice earlier in the week and the boys had theirs yesterday. 11 of the 12 boys showed up, one was busy but will be at the game on Saturday.

I think with Gary it was partly misunderstanding and partly spite on behalf of other coaches organizing their event. It would have been nice for them to at least talk to either myself or fatherof4 first. If they really wanted to hold their event on this date, we could've considered possibly moving ours around or vice versa. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case and we're left to battle it out over quality players. The Hogoheegee wasn't affected much by this but the Cumberland certainly was. This is the first year we've done this so next year we will certainly know to avoid this problem.

We shouldn't fight over which one is "better", this is a golden opportunity for some area seniors to play another game in front of a sizeable crowd alongside career-long opponents. Both of these all-star games will be a lot of fun to watch... ours especially ;)

Please come, whoever can make it. It should be a great time!

No, he's right. This is the 2nd year of this game but this is the first year he and I have put it together. Last year it was put together by myself and Gary and it was held in late May. This year we (me and fatherof4) wanted to get it going right after basketball season. We tried to contact Gary to help organize it but he never responded so we took the initiative, unaware that we picked the exact same date they were going to use.

Next year we won't have this problem. This year we have to deal with it and hopefully still attract a lot of folks to come watch.

The marquee game of the two was definitely the game in Bristol. The game at Castlewood should never have been played. The girls game ended up being Carroll County vs. Chilhowie.

This is incorrect. Both of our games came down to the last second and were decided by 2 points or less. The girls team for the Cumberland was stripped bare of its players and Carroll County was nice enough to make the long haul over as well as one Thomas Walker girl. Even for 6 players they were talented and had played together all year. The Hogo girls did have 5 Chilhowie seniors but the team had 10 total players who represented 4 of the 6 Hogoheegee schools.

Next year these games will be played on different dates so the kids who want to and can will be given the opportunity to participate in both events and diehard fans like myself can watch both. Its good to see kids get these opportunities, everyone had a lot of fun. No complaints from anyone that I know. Very much a success.

Edited by hogo_sportz

The marquee game of the two was definitely the game in Bristol. The game at Castlewood should never have been played. The girls game ended up being Carroll County vs. Chilhowie.

The coaches or at least Coach Damron from St. Paul should and probably will get into some hot water over the crap he pulled trying to sabotage the Castlewood event. The all-star game in Castlewood was scheduled in January and the rosters were set by the first of February. Once the date was set and the rosters were finalized, he decided to bump heads with the date because of jealously. The games at Castlewood were much more competitive and had a much larger crowd. The girls team was effected by what he pulled, but the games, 3 point contest and dunk contest at Castlewood were much better than the Bristol games. Hopefully all the stuff Damron has pulled will come out and Gary Maggert from the FCA will never work with him again. Gary has did a lot of good things for the youth in our area and doesn't need to put the reputation of his organization in jeopardy, because of a guy like Damron. Even with all the crooked, underhanded stuff he tried to pull the All-Star in Castlewood has a huge success.

Wow you have some harsh words for thid Damron guy. If you were coaching the game as you had stated before how would you know how many were in Bristol? I reaqd the bristol paper and the article on your game was good but it mentioned Coach Rasnick as the coach again you had mentioned somewhere that you were coaching the game. It seems to me that there has been some facts not exactly true from you but Hogosportz has been up front. By the way since no young men from Castlewood was invitied to play how did Zak Bush end up plying in Bristol?

Edited by coachm