gold around here?

I've heard talk of people finding a little gold here and there in the area? Any of you guys ever look around or do this sort of thing? I know there are a few gemstone mines down in NC not far from here...just curious if any of you guys are in to this stuff...i've never tried it and don't plan on it, but I saw a program on TV late last night that talked about some stuff in this area and I have never heard anyone from here really speak of it...so...figured I would see if maybe some of you guys knew anything about it.

I know a lot of people that look for civil war era relics and indian relics around here...but don't know much about the other stuff?

There are no gold mines or prospect areas in this part of the state. Almost all of the gold mining in Virginia takes place in the central to northern part of the state. The nearest to our area I think was some former mining in the area of Floyd, but SWVA does not hold any deposits.

There are no gold mines or prospect areas in this part of the state. Almost all of the gold mining in Virginia takes place in the central to northern part of the state. The nearest to our area I think was some former mining in the area of Floyd, but SWVA does not hold any deposits.

I know there are not any mines, but I've heard rumors of people panning and using metal detectors in the streams and finding stuff...more towards Blacksburg area and on out towards the areas you were speaking of.

Have heard talk of a seam of silver in the cuts area above Cedar Bluff.

There is supposed to be some sort of lost silver mine or a stash of silver in the Breaks Park somewhere...that's an old legend.

We should band together and search for buried treasure in the area.

Isn't there something like...geo...geo"something" that people go and find?? I've heard of people doing it but never really looked into it. Sounds like it could be a fun hobby.

We should band together and search for buried treasure in the area.

Isn't there something like...geo...geo"something" that people go and find?? I've heard of people doing it but never really looked into it. Sounds like it could be a fun hobby.

geo cashing!

yeah...you are supposed to take something from the box when you find it and replace it with something of your own for the next person...pretty cool concept, just dont expect much more than a couple of pencils or a deck of cards...stuff like that.

yeah...you are supposed to take something from the box when you find it and replace it with something of your own for the next person...pretty cool concept, just dont expect much more than a couple of pencils or a deck of cards...stuff like that.

Yeah, the hunt is fun part anyway. The reward is just finding what you were supposed to. We could do it with gift certificates and cheap bourbon.

"Jackpot!"