Hart Resigns as Honaker's Coach

tbgfan

PREP BOYS BASKETBALL: Hart leaves Honaker post

By Tim Hayes | Sports Writer / Bristol Herald Courier

Published: April 28, 2010

Waylon Hart is leaving his alma mater after leading Honaker to one of the most memorable basketball seasons in school history.

Hart recently resigned as the head boys basketball coach of the Tigers. He compiled a 60-65 record during his five seasons on the bench.

The 34-year-old and 1994 Honaker graduate will now focus solely on the duties at his farm in Russell County.

“It was strictly a personal decision,†Hart said. “I don’t work at the school and I make my living raising beef cattle and just need to spend a little more time

here. … It was a really tough decision, but I had a great time doing it.â€

Hart led Honaker on an improbable run to the VHSL Group A, Division 2 tournament this past season.

The Tigers were the eighth seed for the Region D tourney, but shocked Clinch Mountain District champ and top-seeded Gate City, 63-59, in the first round and

edged Haysi, 56-54 in overtime, in the regional semifinals to earn a state tournament berth.

The Tigers, who finished the season with a 12-14 record, lost to eventual state champion James River in the state quarterfinals.

“I thought our overall record didn’t tell the tale about our team,†Hart said. “We lost some close games. … The kids really showed a lot of heart and character

near the end of the season. They won some big games and definitely the Gate City game was one of them.â€

thayes@bristolnews.com| Twitter: @Hayes_BHCSports | (276) 645-2570

Life has many choices---eternity two

I'm glad my man Waylon got the chance to coach @ his school. He's a stand up type of guy and was a heck of a player. I got the chance to know him during our time @ BSC and wish my friend nothing but the best in raising his cattle.