Any Leagues at Mountaineer This Summer?

PBA/Sport League on Wednesday night...I think it starts next week. I think they have a mixed league on Tuesday nights.

I have half a mind to try the PBA/Sport League. I need to improve my rev-rates and develop a deeper hook, and that'd be the league to try this in. I don't know any ladies who'd be willing to do the mixed league, but I might put my name out there, too.

You doing either of them?

Looks like I'll be bowling in the PBA Experience/Sport League this summer, starting tomorrow night at Mountaineer. Anything above a 190 average would be stellar for me, as I can count the number of games I've thrown on a sport pattern on 2 hands. High's a 209, I hope to improve on that.

The year I bowled in the Sport League, my average was 10 pins less than regular league...I think I finished with a 174 average (184 in regular league). My high game was 227 with a high set of 639. Some of the best bowlers at Mountaineer bowled that year and I think the high average was right around 190.

You have to be accurate on your strike ball...a little tug and its through the nose, a little wide and its wash-out city. You've got to be able to control your speed...speed consistency is a necessity too! And it is a must to make your spares...I highly recommend throwing plastic at spares. And remember, straighter is greater.

As for averaging 190...seriously don't get your hopes up...it will be a VERY humbling experience.

The year I bowled in the Sport League, my average was 10 pins less than regular league...I think I finished with a 174 average (184 in regular league). My high game was 227 with a high set of 639. Some of the best bowlers at Mountaineer bowled that year and I think the high average was right around 190.

You have to be accurate on your strike ball...a little tug and its through the nose, a little wide and its wash-out city. You've got to be able to control your speed...speed consistency is a necessity too! And it is a must to make your spares...I highly recommend throwing plastic at spares. And remember, straighter is greater.

As for averaging 190...seriously don't get your hopes up...it will be a VERY humbling experience.

From what I recall in my limited bowling on the sport conditions that ABC West threw down on occasion, my biggest problems are: (1) missing spares about once/game, (2) tugging my strike ball every 3-4 shots, and (3) getting anything beyond 1 strike in a row. #1 is the biggest. I have 1 brain fart per game, and it can take 10-11 pins off my average.

Straighter is indeed greater, and I think it benefits my bowling style. I don't have a very big hook, some might even call it just a curve. This is how I can place in the top half of most tournaments I enter in PA when the lane conditions are tougher than just typical league conditions.

Another big thing I have to recognize is which pattern I'm throwing on any particular knight. Cheetah, at 35', isn't that much different than the house pattern at West (32'), except that the 5 outermost boards on each side are oiled in sport conditions. Shark, at 43', and I'll pretty much have to throw it straight, outside-in.

It won't be the end of the world if I don't average 190, and I don't expect to bowl well the first few weeks, especially since Mountaineer isn't my home house anymore. But, we'll give it a go, and I'll keep everyone posted, haha.