Does teacher's gender affect engagement and learning

What do YOU think about this article in the AJC today?

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2010/05/20/does-a-teachers-gender-affect-a-students-engagement-and-learning/

excerpt:

"Researching economist Thomas Dee for my article on his new No Child Left Behind study led me to a fascinating published piece by him a few years back on whether the gender of the teacher influences student performance. In his paper, he states, “My results indicate that learning from a teacher of the opposite gender has a detrimental effect on students’ academic progress and their engagement in school. My best estimate is that it lowers test scores for both boys and girls by approximately 4 percent of a standard deviation and has even larger effects on various measures of student engagement.â€

What do YOU think about this article in the AJC today?

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-blog/2010/05/20/does-a-teachers-gender-affect-a-students-engagement-and-learning/

excerpt:

"Researching economist Thomas Dee for my article on his new No Child Left Behind study led me to a fascinating published piece by him a few years back on whether the gender of the teacher influences student performance. In his paper, he states, “My results indicate that learning from a teacher of the opposite gender has a detrimental effect on students’ academic progress and their engagement in school. My best estimate is that it lowers test scores for both boys and girls by approximately 4 percent of a standard deviation and has even larger effects on various measures of student engagement.â€

I'm not fond of this article, for three reasons.

1. This article is harping on percents of standard deviations. If we're talking about percentage points of standard deviations, that difference is so tiny as to render it statistically insignificant.

2. Related to #1 here, the article even claims that "Math Results Inconclusive". Well, SO ARE THE OTHERS. When we're talking about the difference in THOUSANDTHS of percentage points, even for social studies and English, then it's conclusive alright. Conclusive that there's no significant difference.

2. I do not like the methodology of this study. It relies on five studies, none of which are more recent than the year 2000. However, this article harps on the effect of the No Child Left Behind Act, without ANY studies from that time period. Also, it interviews students/teachers nationwide, neglecting the difference that education varies from east/west, rural/urban, north/south, public/private. Terrible methodology.

Conclusion: This article is a bogus hoax, and should be disregarded.

I'm not fond of this article, for three reasons.

1. This article is harping on percents of standard deviations. If we're talking about percentage points of standard deviations, that difference is so tiny as to render it statistically insignificant.

2. Related to #1 here, the article even claims that "Math Results Inconclusive". Well, SO ARE THE OTHERS. When we're talking about the difference in THOUSANDTHS of percentage points, even for social studies and English, then it's conclusive alright. Conclusive that there's no significant difference.

2. I do not like the methodology of this study. It relies on five studies, none of which are more recent than the year 2000. However, this article harps on the effect of the No Child Left Behind Act, without ANY studies from that time period. Also, it interviews students/teachers nationwide, neglecting the difference that education varies from east/west, rural/urban, north/south, public/private. Terrible methodology.

Conclusion: This article is a bogus hoax, and should be disregarded.

Much agreed with you Observer

I haven't read the article, but from first hand experience, I can tell you that many female students who have no positive male role model in the home respond better to an encouraging male teacher. Male students also tend to be less disruptive for a male teacher than a female teacher.

Both will respond to a positive nuturing teacher who makes them feel they are important.

I'm pretty sure that there was a study about male teachers responding more positively and giving more "praise" towards male students who participated in class and gave correct answers and vice versa with female teachers and successful female students. I found this whole idea to be pretty interesting and it's sometimes so blatant that it is overlooked.