salem' s Richard Morgan brings in all star to Bluefield College

the watcher

http://blogs.roanoke.com/sosalem/2010/07/05/photos-of-salems-richard-morgan-at-basketball-camp/

atrick Henry point guard Melvin Henderson, who led Patrick Henry to the Group AAA semifinals and was named the Northwest Region player of the year, has committed to Bluefield College.

The 5-foot-10 Henderson averaged 10.9 points and 3.9 assists per game for PH, which advanced to the state tournament for the first time since 1992.

Bluefield, an NAIA Division II member, is coached by former Salem High School and Virginia star Richard Morgan. The Rams were 17-16 and finished in a four-way tie for first place in the Appalachian Athletic Conference.

• 3 weeks later...

Could he be like former PH Stars Ralph Stovell and James Higgins and help BC return to NAIA Tournament. WE will have to wait and see

Ralph Stovall was a tremendous talent. I really enjoyed watching him play at BC...good guy too...

Ralph Stovall was a tremendous talent. I really enjoyed watching him play at BC...good guy too...

Barry Martin was my favorite (from Laurel Park)...got to be pretty good friends with him back in the day....he was an awesome dude..

as for Ralph Stovall...I agree, he was very good.

Barry Martin was my favorite (from Laurel Park)...got to be pretty good friends with him back in the day....he was an awesome dude..

as for Ralph Stovall...I agree, he was very good.

Barry was a super-good guy from a good family...married Juene Goins (LaJuene to those of us who have known her since kindergarten). They live down in Reidsville, NC now.

Barry could always get Starnes going in class...good times...

The best player of that time was Todd Hopkins. A six foot one power forward who played very hard. The there is the great white hope Fred Phillphs. He was a great passer. Then how about Bruce McCray. The 6'6" center who could score in many ways. They are just a few of the many good players of that era. I'm sure that I have left off some.

Agreed! Todd was the best player during that time period at BC. I remember teams coming in with much bigger players trying to match up with him and they couldn't handle him. He was a real mismatch for a lot of teams because he could do it all: run the floor, get physical, go inside, go outside, handled the ball well, passed well, etc.... If he was bigger he probably would have gone to a much larger school than BC.

The team with Ralph, Todd, and Fred was very fun to watch. They put up about 150 or so vs. Knoxville College at the Dome one night. Todd and Ralph were both over 40 (one of them may have gone over 50) and Fred had about 30 or so.

Barry was a super-good guy from a good family...married Juene Goins (LaJuene to those of us who have known her since kindergarten). They live down in Reidsville, NC now.

Barry could always get Starnes going in class...good times...

Yeah, he could get "mean gene the physics machine" (Chafin) laughing in clas too...

The best player of that time was Todd Hopkins. A six foot one power forward who played very hard. The there is the great white hope Fred Phillphs. He was a great passer. Then how about Bruce McCray. The 6'6" center who could score in many ways. They are just a few of the many good players of that era. I'm sure that I have left off some.

Fred referees basketball now in the SWD, he's a very good ref and he was super funny back in the day, too.