Great Billy Wagner article

Guest StoneyCalhoun

He is already in with 400 saves, and by season's end possibly the most saves for any south paw.

Edited by StoneyCalhoun

i've had this debate with others as to if he will make HOF and overall it was pretty one sided that he won't get in...i like to figure he will make it, but I'm biased lol.

I found it refreshing that he seems to have his priorities in order. At this stage in their careers, most players seem to be trying to do everything they can to hang on another year. I hope Billy follows through.

Congrats to Wagner.

I think Lee Smith should be in. He did hold the career saves record and was the first modern closer (in terms of pitching just one inning for the save). What do y'all think?

Congrats to Wagner.

I think Lee Smith should be in. He did hold the career saves record and was the first modern closer (in terms of pitching just one inning for the save). What do y'all think?

Yes, Lee Smith should be in too.

Guest StoneyCalhoun

There are only 5 pitchers who have over 400 saves.

Wagner is one of them. The lifespan of a closer is short, which is why Riveria and Wagner are so great.

Got the chance to see Smith in person several times in his prime. He was one intimidating guy. He looked like a linebacker, throw in the scowl he always had on his face and the 95+ fastball. Scary.

Wagner is an amazing story. We played against him during All-Stars when we were young and never lost to him. I actually hit a HR off of him. Now he is one of the best closers in baseball history and we are left with is stories to tell about playing against him.