BDT - SWD Golf Tees Off Season

tbgfan

Search August 4, 2010

Southwest District golf tees off sports season

Staff reports

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

GRUNDY, Va. — The high school sports season has begun.

The first high school sports event of the 2000-11 season was held Tuesday when Willowbrook Country Club played host to a Southwest District golf match.

Grayson Moore of Marion shot a 76, and Branson Bowman added a 77 for the Scarlet Hurricane, which fired a four-person 311 to better Richlands (317) by six strokes. Graham (320) was three shots behind the Blue Tornado.

Graham coach Matt Dixon thinks it will be those three teams that compete all season for the SWD title.

“I think is a three-horse race, it is going to be wide open,” Dixon said. “There are no dominant players, (defending champion) Abingdon lost some players, and I’ve some back.

“I think it will be Marion, Richlands and us, it will be wide open.”

Richlands’ Jimmy Bower earned medalist honors with a 74, while Brandon White added a 77, followed by Eric Cunningham (82) and Zachary Luttrell (83).

Morgan Brewster and Andrew Day each fired 78s for the G-Men. Ben Taylor tallied an 80, while Alex Rife added an 84.

Grundy was sixth with a 384, led by L.C. Mutter’s 82.

"I thought as a group we played pretty well for our first match," Grundy coach Tom Holland said. "I'm proud of them, and I'm sure they'll improve quite a bit as the season goes on."

Tazewell, which finished seventh with a 427, was paced by Blake Hash with a 90.

Fourth place Abingdon (357) was paced by Caleb Roark with an 81, while Carroll County (361) was fifth, led by Chris Goad with a 76.

The SWD will be busy next week, with matches on Tuesday at Holston Hills in Marion, Wednesday at Blue Ridge in Hillsville, and Thursday at Abingdon’s Glenrochie Country Club.

Fincastle County Club will host Southwest District action on Aug. 16.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Edited by tbgfan