Grundy vs Hurley pics...

Lance

Fun game to watch, if you are a Grundy fan. Defense looked pretty good, special teams got it done, and the offense was hit and miss, mostly hit though...looking better every week...which is good.

Link to all the pics:

http://s362.photobucket.com/albums/oo63/swvasports/2010%20Football/Week%203%20Grundy%20at%20Hurley/?start=all

a few random pics:

First...I had to get a Bull pic this week...missed one last week.

IMG_2292.jpg

This is kinda funny...

IMG_2202.jpg

Compton not really amused by it all....

IMG_2193.jpg

Ben Rife catching a TD pass:

IMG_2268.jpg

A lot of this going on all night:

IMG_2262.jpg

Not much of this going on all night:

IMG_2232.jpg

Berglowe about to find daylight....

IMG_2231.jpg

Interception...

IMG_2219.jpg

Cody back from his injury again this week...

IMG_2224.jpg

Berglowe says TD, refs agree....

IMG_2214.jpg

cool pic...

IMG_2311.jpg

pretty sure they spelled "Cliff" wrong and tried to erase it....fail.

IMG_2315.jpg

Victory...

IMG_2317.jpg

Final Score...

IMG_2308.jpg

Uncle Jerry says "Hell Yeah!"...

IMG_2289.jpg

The words, cliff, was spelled right it's just faded over the years. I don't think anyone is brave enough to try an touch it up. The last guy to try it about 3 years ago had little rocks keep hitting him and he got a little scared. The field has been shifted over from the cliff about 5ft. give or take. The visitor's side has a lot more room than the home sideline.

i think you are a smart butt all your dumb remarks about hurley boys you wouldnt say that to there face you no better you are behind this computer you makeing fun of them kids busting thru the banner and saying they didnt wright that on the cliff right well thats been on there for years and it was right i bet you wouldnt say that stuff over here you know better just do what you want behind this computer we will be smileling when the blues runs it up about 70 on you all and i hope everyone on that team has the flu and see how it feels ...but you should of never made fun of people at hurley we know who you are

we will be smileling when the blues runs it up about 70 on you all

Yeah, leave it to another team to take care of business for you because your's couldn't even come close.

Lance, on that pic with your caption "cool pic.." with the Reb sign on top of the rocks, how did they get that up there? Somebody asked me that last night and I didn't have a clue.

i think you are a smart butt all your dumb remarks about hurley boys you wouldnt say that to there face you no better you are behind this computer you makeing fun of them kids busting thru the banner and saying they didnt wright that on the cliff right well thats been on there for years and it was right i bet you wouldnt say that stuff over here you know better just do what you want behind this computer we will be smileling when the blues runs it up about 70 on you all and i hope everyone on that team has the flu and see how it feels ...but you should of never made fun of people at hurley we know who you are

lol...my dad played for Smiley back in the day, I pull for Hurley when they aren't playing Grundy. You need to get your facts straight...and take an english class or two.

Yeah, leave it to another team to take care of business for you because your's couldn't even come close.

Lance, on that pic with your caption "cool pic.." with the Reb sign on top of the rocks, how did they get that up there? Somebody asked me that last night and I didn't have a clue.

I have no idea? I think thats one of the cool things about it...you kinda look at it and then realize it probably took a good deal of effort to get it up there lol...Hurley is a unique place to play football...the cliff is pretty awesome, there are not many places you find the confederate flag flying anymore, much less painted on the 50 yard line and the doors to the school, and before the game started the atmosphere was a lot like it is in places like Gate City on game night...it was pretty cool to see that many people out from two (now) smaller schools...it was one of those "shut down the town and lets get it on" kinda games...not many of those in Grundy land lately. And whoever was doing the PA announcing was great...not your every day boring homer that you hear at most places...I dunno...it was just a good atmosphere for football.

Sam I might be wrong but I think Larry Mosely climbed up there and lowerd it over with cable and tied it off. Thats what I was told at least.

Sam I might be wrong but I think Larry Mosely climbed up there and lowerd it over with cable and tied it off. Thats what I was told at least.

Thats awesome...hows Robbie been latley? Haven't heard from him since he graduated.

Lloyd's write up on the game...

Grundy still perfect on the year

By LLOYD COMBS for the Daily Telegraph

HURLEY, Va. — Grundy showed up with its game-face on Friday.

Not that anyone could see them, because they arrived wearing their helmets.

The Golden Wave started fast and never let up on the way to a 62-14 rout of Hurley in non-district play at Smiley Ratliff Field at The Cliff.

Grundy (3-0) dressed at home, donned its gold helmets by the time its bus reached the top of nearby Rockhouse Mountain and was obviously ready to play when it got to Hurley, scoring on four of its first five possessions.

John Kelly ran for two touchdowns and threw for two more as the Golden Wave scored at least two touchdowns in each quarter, starting with a one-run plunge by Kelly on the game's first possession.

"We were focused," Grundy coach Greg Rowe said. "We wanted to get off to a good start and score on our first possession, especially on the road.

"We played awfully well on offense, against a good ballclub that's big and strong and quick. We executed really well."

Seven different players scored, six on offense, as Grundy amassed a season-high 313 yards rushing and 376 yards of total offense. Tyler Berglowe ran for 172 yards and a touchdown on 24 carries.

Berglowe had a 16-yard scoring run midway through the opening period. Kelly scored from 22 yards out on a second-quarter quarterback keeper and tossed an 8-yard touchdown pass to Tyler McClanahan later in the period to build a 28-0 lead.

"Grundy came out and took the breath out of us early," Hurley coach Greg Tester said. "When we got our first score to make it 28-6 we played better for a while, but we've got to cut down on our mental errors.

"We were arm-tackling, and that's not Hurley football. Grundy is a good, well-coached football team, but I feel like we're a much better team than we showed tonight."

A Grundy fumble set up the first Hurley touchdown, a one-yard run by quarterback Austin Cooper. The Rebels managed just 31 yards of offense in the first half.

A bad snap on a punt attempt by Hurley, a 39-yard run by Cody Rife and the hard-nosed running of McClanahan set up Grundy touchdowns in the second half. Kelly scored his second TD and tossed a 20-yard scoring strike to Ben Rife.

The Rebels (2-1) got far more yardage on kick returns than offense. Rawlins returned five kicks for 175 yards, while Reed Justice added 80 yards on three returns.

"We've definitely got to work on kickoff coverage," Rowe added. "We probably played our best ballgame so far this year, but they had some good returns on us."

Rawlins gained 87 yards on 11 carries for Hurley, 17 on a third-quarter scoring run. Cody Rife and Daniel Ellis ran for touchdowns and Kris Hawkins returned a fumble 10 yards for a score for Grundy in the second half.

It was the first meeting between Grundy and Hurley since 2002 and the last as non-district foes. Grundy will drop down to Group A and join the Rebels in the Black Diamond District next season.

At Smiley Ratliff Field

Grundy..............................14 14 20 14 — 62

Hurley.................................0 6 8 0 — 14

G-Kelly 1 run (Mutter kick)

G-Berglowe 16 run (Mutter kick)

G-Kelly 22 run (Mutter kick)

G-McClanahan 8 pass from Kelly (Mutter kick)

H-Cooper 1 run (run failed)

G-Kelly 1 run (Mutter kick)

H-Rawlins 17 run (Waynick pass from Cooper)

G-B. Rife 20 pass from Kelly (Mutter kick)

G-C. Rife 4 run (kick failed)

G-Ellis 9 run (Mutter kick)

G-Hawkins 10 fumble rec. ret. (Mutter kick)

———

TEAM STATISTICS

First Downs: G 22, H 5; Rushes-Yards: G 42-313, H 30-94; Passing Yards: G 63, H 14; Comp-Att-Int: 5-10-0, H 2-8-0; Fumbles-Lost: G 3-1, H 3-1; Penalties-Yards: 4-30, H 1-15; Punts-Average: G 1-44, H 3-20.3.