Should Marshall and WVU play every year

wvuraiders

I say yes. I am for the state game and keeping money in the state of West Virginia. A lot of wvu/marshall people say they should not...I would like to hear some thoughts from wvu fans on here and from neutral posters as well to their thoughts...thanks

I say yes. I am for the state game and keeping money in the state of West Virginia. A lot of wvu/marshall people say they should not...I would like to hear some thoughts from wvu fans on here and from neutral posters as well to their thoughts...thanks

I thought about posing this question last week when the bulk of this conversation was circulating around the Marshall and WVU message boards.

As a Marshall fan, I ABSOLUTELY believe that this game should be played every single year. As you've said, it is great for the economy and state in addition to being a (usually) great game experience and atmosphere. However, my only exception is that they treat Marshall like the reputable Division-I program that they are, albeit one who's had their fair share of troubles in the last several years. By this, I mean that a fair series can and should be negotiated. At this moment, I would go for a 6 for 4 series, but in the future a 1 for 1 should be the ONLY option IF certain agreements be met (i.e. MU stadium expansion, etc.). It is as a smack in the face that WVU will sign 1 for 1 series with schools such as ECU, but won't give their in-state contemporaries the time of day.

My research has shown that it is pretty one-sided as to who wants the game and who doesn't. Although there are many WVU fans who do like to see the game played against Marshall, the main people that matter (i.e. WVU) are against this game. The only reason this current series is going on is because it was forced by Joe Manchin, otherwise this game would be history. Marshall, especially in the Pruett years, tried and tried to get a game with WVU but it never happened. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but the ONLY reason that WVU people don't like the Marshall game is because they are afraid of the inevitable: Marshall actually beating the Mountaineers. A win this year would have solidified their position, but I think an OT scare has done the job.

That being said, I, as well as virtually every Herd fan, would love for this series to be a yearly occurrence, but it looks as if it won't happen unless it is again forced by legislature. The game is good for the state and there isn't any reason why there can't be the possibility of two successful teams in the state. Many states have competition and it works beautifully year in and year out.

Edited by hokie07

Honestly, how is it good for the economy? Sure, it will be good for a couple nights for hotels and restaurants but that's it. It may be good for Marshall because it is the only way they are going to sell out their stadium. All of WVU's home games no matter who they play will bring in more revenue then that.

Honestly, how is it good for the economy? Sure, it will be good for a couple nights for hotels and restaurants but that's it.

Every little bit helps. Ask the small business owners, gas stations, hotels, etc. if they like the extra money that they get because of the travel for the game weekend. Granted it is short lived, it's still extra money in their pocket and good for business. The little bit of money spent is staying in West Virginia too. Not anywhere else. Aside from that, it is good for the STATE. The opportunity for two successful football programs is something that could provide lots of excitement and spotlight to the state of West Virginia.

It may be good for Marshall because it is the only way they are going to sell out their stadium. All of WVU's home games no matter who they play will bring in more revenue then that.

Winning solves everything. String a couple of benchmark wins and reputable seasons and the fans will want to come and support what's going on. The Tri-State area (WV, OH, KY), all within miles of Marshall, is home to over a quarter-million people. Take into consideration the WV population throughout the state that could make it to a Saturday game. New AD, new coach, new facility upgrades = record donation levels, season ticket sales, etc. this past year. With this in mind, the stadium is sure to expand. Supposedly, it was told to Doc before he even accepted the job that a stadium expansion was imminent.

Would you rather see a home and home series with ECU?

In basketball, they play every year in Charleston, but this series is the only series they have had in football.

Continue the series.

This. Before the current 7-game series was negotiated in 2006, the last time Marshall and West Virginia played a football game was in 1923, I believe, with the exception of the 1997 meeting in Morgantown.