Black Diamond, Clinch Mountain & Hogoheegee Dist Golf Tourneys

tbgfan

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x1327131186/Honaker-s-Brown-claims-Black-Diamond-golf-title

September 30, 2010

Honaker’s Brown claims Black Diamond golf title

by LLOYD COMBS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Thu Sep 30, 2010, 05:00 AM EDT

TAZEWELL, Va. — The future, in Black Diamond District golf, may belong to Honaker.

The present, however, belongs to the Tigers' only senior, Cory Brown.

On a windy Wednesday when the scores were high, Brown took medalist honors with a career-low 86 to lead Hoanker to the BDD crown in tournament play at Tazewell County Country Club.

After finishing second on his own team much of the regular season, Brown edged the reigning BDD Golfer of the Year, Haysi's Byron Bowman, by a single stroke, 86-87, to finish first on Wednesday.

"I hit my drives straight, and I one or two-putted every green," said Brown, who is better known for his exploits on the basketball court and the baseball diamond. "That's how I was able to stay in it."

Honaker only shot a team score of 412, but that was good enough to finish a whopping 36 strokes ahead of second-place Council.

All three BDD teams advance to regional play next week in Big Stone Gap, since the top two teams and top six individuals move on out of district play.

Next week, like Wednesday, will be a great experience for his club, says Honaker coach Marcus Dunham. The Tigers, after all, have three freshmen among their top six golfers, and have gotten better with experience over the course of the season.

"This was the first time Hoanker has won this in six or seven years," Tigers coach Marcus Dunham said. "We have three freshmen this year, and all of our kids have shown steady improvement all year.

"And we have several good kids who will be freshmen next year. Things are really looking up for us."

Only one other golfer broke 100 Wednesday. Council sophomore Cameron Presley shot a 99 over 18 holes, well above his average score in recent weeks. Only two others shot below 110.

"We struggled," said Haysi coach Danny Spangler, whose club was a two-time defending BDD champ, but had just one returnee from last season, Bowman.

"Most of our young kids had never played the back nine here, and the wind was a factor by then.

"But they struggled on the front nine, too, so I'm not going to use that as an excuse. We're really going to miss Byron Bowman next year...â€

The Region D tournament starts Tuesday morning, October 5, at Lonesome Pine Country Club.

at Tazewell County Country Club

HONAKER (412) -- Cory Brown 86, Brandon Newberry 102, Gabe McGlothlin 109, Jordan McGolthlin 115.

COUNCIL (448) -- Cameron Presley 99, Chris Tiller 108, C.J. Ratliff 110, Josh Viers 131.

HAYSI (458) -- Byron Bowman 87, Joe Hickman 121, Brad Spangler 123, Dylan Slemp 127.

MEDALIST: Cory Brown 86.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There is a write-up in BHC on Gate City winning the CMD, but not posted on-line yet. Will post story to this thread when it is put on-line.

Posted in BHC September 30th

Clinch Mountain District Tournament

at Warriors Path, Kingsport, TN

Team Scores

Gate City 324*, Virginia High 328**, Lee High 333, Lebanon 341, John Battle 399

*denotes Region D berth from tourney win

**denotes Region D berth from regular-season title

Individual Results

Gate City--Caleb Dockery 75, Sykler Reed 79, Austin Palmer 84, Jimmy Taylor 86

Virginia High--Ryan Hyatt 80, David Maples 81, Taylor Hall 82, Zack Dean 85

Lee High--Makenzie Cluesman 77*, Dusty Holman 81*, Brock Livesay 87, Kelli Scott and Tyler Twigg 89

Lebanon--Clay Cantrell 84*, Ryan Robinette 85*, Patrick Farmer 86*, Hayden Justus 86

John Battle--Austin Odom 81*, Adam Turner 101, Alex Dingus 104, Seth Williams 113

*denotes Region D berth

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2010/sep/29/prep-golf-chilhowies-hayden-northwood-have-top-fin-ar-530890/

PREP GOLF: Chilhowie's Hayden, Northwood have top finishes in Hogoheegee

By Tim Hayes

Published: September 29, 2010

Conner Hayden has accomplished quite a bit in his golf career.

He’s played in the VHSL Group A tournament twice.

He’s collected numerous trophies in countless junior tournaments.

Now, he has a firm grip on one of the few titles that had eluded him.

Hayden fired a four-under par 66 to win medalist honors at the Hogoheegee District tournament by a commanding 12 strokes on Tuesday afternoon at Wytheville Golf Club.

Hayden had finished fourth in the district tournament as a freshman and then came up short for the top spot last fall, losing out to Holston’s Aaron Deel on a playoff hole.

The Chilhowie High School junior wasn’t going to be denied this time as he separated himself from the pack shortly after the 9 a.m. tee time and was in control the rest of the day.

"This is something to look forward to," Hayden said.

Hayden’s dominant performance included a 34 on the front nine and an even more impressive 32 over the final nine holes.

"I hit a lot of greens today," Hayden said. "I hit 16 greens [in regulation]. I didn’t make any putts at the beginning, but I just kept telling myself, just keep hitting greens and they’ll go in and it did."

Northwood’s Austin Robbins and Holston’s Conrad Thacker tied for second with a 78, far off the focused Hayden’s pace. Robbins was impressed with the Chilhowie golfer’s near-flawless round.

"That’s real good," Robbins said. "I think he has an opportunity to win state."

While Robbins wasn’t able to catch Hayden on the individual leaderboard, he did help Northwood claim the team title and a bid to next week’s Region C tournament.

Northwood finished with a team score of 334, beating out Hogoheegee regular season champion Holston by six strokes. Two-time defending district champ Chilhowie finished third.

"It feels pretty good," Robbins said. "We all played good and kept battling."

Robbins came up with one of his best showings of the season on Tuesday as his strong performance helped carry the Panthers.

"He had a lot of putting problems a lot of times, but today he had one three-putt and the rest were one and two putts. That saved him," said Northwood coach Gary "Peaches" Arnold. "He’s the kid that if you go out any day in the summer and look on the golf course, he’s there. He worked hard."

Sean Yarber (81), Chaz Jones (85) and Zac Keith (90) rounded out the top four for Northwood.

"They played great," Arnold said.

Holston was led by Thacker’s 78, while Deel (83), T.J. Widener (89) and Josh Street (90) rounded out the top finishers for head coach Adam Moore’s team. The Cavaliers had already clinched a regional tournament bid by virtue of winning the regular season crown.

Meanwhile, Hayden will have some confidence entering next week’s Region C tournament. It will also be held in Wytheville.

A fixture in local junior events throughout the area, Hayden says the experience has helped immensely in the high-pressure prep golf tourneys.

"It’s really nothing different from over the summer," Hayden said. "Playing all those AJGA [American Junior Golf Association] tournaments and playing that competition golf really has an advantage whenever you come here and play this."

Life has many choices---eternity two