Gate City at Va High

gcdevils47

Gotta agree. I was expecting a big time @$$ whoopin before any trash talking. What have the VHS coaches spouting off about?

If they have been, they could have used the time to teach their kids to play defense instead.

Devils 48-19.

well apparently our coaches and tradition is stupid and overrated:)... thats why we kick their @$$ every year. last year was the closest they've came in forever.

Just watch the last minute TIMEOUT!! Some how the refs gave them an extra one last week so I hope you take your own refs or else they will get an extra one. If you look at the game with them and lebanon you will see that all penalties were on Lebanon but 1.. so good luck Devils not like you need it but good luck!

Just watch the last minute TIMEOUT!! Some how the refs gave them an extra one last week so I hope you take your own refs or else they will get an extra one. If you look at the game with them and lebanon you will see that all penalties were on Lebanon but 1.. so good luck Devils not like you need it but good luck!

thanks buddy, from what i have been hearing we plan on thoroughly beating their @$$. just for you. haha

I love your tradition in Gate City. I'm not from there nor do i have any connections to Gate City. But it is by far the best place in SWVA to see a game. Just my honest opinion. No offense to the good folks in Richlands.

As for the game tomorrow night, i've seen both teams play and i see no way VHS stays with GC this year. And if they have ticked the GC folks off, then it could get really outta hand on the scoreboard.

I didn't like the way Thurmans Gretna teams carried themselves but he doesn't have the talent at VHS to do that here and back it up.

Go Devils!

I love your tradition in Gate City. I'm not from there nor do i have any connections to Gate City. But it is by far the best place in SWVA to see a game. Just my honest opinion. No offense to the good folks in Richlands.

As for the game tomorrow night, i've seen both teams play and i see no way VHS stays with GC this year. And if they have ticked the GC folks off, then it could get really outta hand on the scoreboard.

I didn't like the way Thurmans Gretna teams carried themselves but he doesn't have the talent at VHS to do that here and back it up.

Go Devils!

Well i dont know if va high has been doing it or not, but that is what i have heard. and if they have then its gonna get really nasty on the scoreboard. there have been plenty of times we could have put up 60+ on teams but we have class and take our starters out at halftime if we are up big.

BRISTOL, Va. --

The life of a high school football coach is never dull. The weekly grind is strewn with highs, lows, hassles and brainstorming sessions.

Chris Thurman knows the never-ending story.

The straight-talking boss of the Virginia High Bearcats has won state championships, groomed major college prospects, dealt with fickle fans and overcome long odds.

And Friday night at Gene Malcolm Stadium, Thurman and his mercurial Bearcats can stake their claim to a district championship.

VHS and Gate City both have 2-0 records in the Clinch Mountain.

GC (5-2) averages 29 points per game, losing only to state title contenders Richlands and Bluefield,W.Va.

"I don’t think our team is intimidated by [Gate City], and it looks like some of the teams they played were," Thurman said. "Gate City is just solid. We will have to play to good to win, there’s no secret about that."

Thurman had success against Gate City while coaching at Gretna High School. Relying on the same free-flowing offense he mastered at Gretna, Thurman almost guided the Bearcats to a signature win at Legion Field last season.

VHS accumulated 349 total yards and led until the 4:40 mark of the fourth quarter before dropping a 28-21 decision. The Blue Devils eventually won the CMD title.

"If we get a stop in the last four minutes or make a few catches at the end, we win that game," Thurman said. "We can obviously play with them."

The storyline for Friday’s rematch has a familiar tone.

Behind multi-talented quarterback Charlieo Bradley, VHS has shown the ability to score in bunches. The problem comes on defense. One year after giving up 26 points per game, VHS allows 34 ppg.

Many teams that rely on the quick-strike spread formation experience problems stopping the opposition due to the length of the time defenders must stay on the field. Thurman realizes his defense must counter the physical approach of Gate City.

On a rainy night in Gate City last year, the Blue Devils rushed for 262 yards against VHS without ever completing a pass.

"[Gate City] pounded us pretty good, and I don’t think they ever came out of the T [formation]," Thurman said. "They will give us more formations Friday than we saw last year."

Sophomore quarterback Nick Bowen has added balance to the GC offense, passing for 576 yards and six scores. Dusty Clark, last season’s quarterback, has moved to running back where he has rushed for 327 yards. The relentless leader for the Blue Devils is Joseph Vaughn, a 185-pound senior who has accounted for 602 yards rushing and 11 touchdowns.

Thurman has spent much of the week cautioning his team against the play-action passes favored by Gate City.

"They pound and pound on you, and then they throw it over your head. That’s the secret to his success," said Thurman, referring to Bowen.

After losses to Honaker and Chilhowie, the Bearcats (4-3) posted an emotional 14-13 victory at CMD rival Lebanon last week. Following the blocks of senior receiver Logan Joyce and senior lineman Justin Lopez, Bradley provided the game-winning score on a three-yard run with 12 seconds left.

According to VHS junior offensive tackle Reed Esposito, VHS relied on a mix of perseverance and preparation to edge the Pioneers.

"That was one of best experiences I’ve ever been involved with," Esposito said. "Everyone was tired at the end, but we kept working and never gave up. As long we keep that attitude, we can accomplish anything."

Ssenior lineman Josh Locklear and the 6-foot-4, 280-pound Esposito have been the leaders of the VHS line corps. Though Bradley has compiled an array of eye-popping stats, the Bearcats must open holes for the improvisational play maker to operate.

"[Gate City] is going to hit us, so we just have to hit them back," Esposito said.

The other key contributors for VHS include junior linebacker James Settle, senior kicker Ian Frye and freshman Justin Brown.

"The Frye kid can boot the ball," Thurman said. "I think there’s he’s only had one kickoff that hasn’t gone in the end zone."

Brown emerged as a savior with his consistent work at free safety last week.

"We had a couple games where none of us looked very good, but we’ve been moving folks around trying to find somebody that will stick. Justin helped to save the game for us," Thurman said.

After pushing through the defensive struggles, turnovers and breakdowns in three losses, Thurman likes the opportunity awaiting his team.

"As poor as we’ve played at times, this game is really for the district championship," Thurman said. "If we win, we can automatically advance into the playoffs and maybe earn enough points to go in as the No. 1 seed. That’s really all you can ask for."

Gate City and VHS will each finish the regular season against CMD rival Lee.

thurman told Kinsport times news that he went to Gate cities lovely establishment last year.its nice to have them at home.At least their fans can go sit on their side. he's happy to be playing at malcolm Stadium. He must not know that Gate City travels better than any other High School in south west virginia,BUt he should but just in case he forgot he will be reminded tomorrow night....... GC 50 VAhigh 9

Edited by jimbeam

thurman told Kinsport times news that he went to Gate cities lovely establishment last year.its nice to have them at home.At least their fans can go sit on their side. he's happy to be playing at malcolm Stadium. He must not know that Gate City travels better than any other High School in south west virginia,BUt he should but just in case he forgot he will be reminded tomorrow night....... GC 50 VAhigh 9

From what I hear.....VHS picked up the Gate city Film from Battle. The fine folks from VHS was running their mouths about how they were going to put atleast 40 up on the devils, and that they were going to wrap up a district title. ***THAT SHOULD LIGHT A FIRE UNDER ALL OF THE GATE CITY DEFENSIVE PLAYERS.***

From what I hear.....VHS picked up the Gate city Film from Battle. The fine folks from VHS was running their mouths about how they were going to put atleast 40 up on the devils, and that they were going to wrap up a district title. ***THAT SHOULD LIGHT A FIRE UNDER ALL OF THE GATE CITY DEFENSIVE PLAYERS.***

You are delusional. None of the things you are saying are true. I think you just like to excite yourself and that you will believe or say whatever it takes to get you there. Gate City has a great team and I expect that they will easily win tonight, but your comments are really childish.

Could be wrong on year, but didn't the Terry Smith Va Bearcats beat Gate City in '06?

Yes Sir. I looked it up on VHSL Reference. VHS won the 2006 game 17-14. Only victory for the 'cats in the series going back to 1999. There were a couple of years the teams did not meet.

No victory for the 'cats tonight. Gate City is gonna roll...

yeah, guys they are wanting their asses kicked.

their fans are wearing shirts that say "make a stand" on the front and on the back it has "we are GC" x'd out. then there are signs that say this is our house written in blue and white. this is probably going to get real ugly