BDT-Pocy Coal POW - Byron Steptoe (Bluefield)

tbgfan

http://bdtonline.com/localsports/x1416243538/Steptoe-excels-on-the-field-and-off

October 21, 2010

Steptoe excels on the field and off

By JONATHAN GREENE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Thu Oct 21, 2010, 05:00 AM EDT

BLUEFIELD — Bluefield senior Byron Steptoe is far from an your average football player. In the classroom he is a 4.0 student and on the field he is a senior leader for a talented Beaver squad.

Combine those talents along with 107 yards of total offense, two touchdowns and a fumble recovery against a tough William Fleming squad from the Roanoke Valley and you have this week’s Pocahontas Coal Association/Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week.

“He tries hard to do his best,†Bluefield head coach Fred Simon said. “He tries hard to get the other players to do their best. He’s definitely a role model in the classroom. He’s a 4.0 student, takes the hard classes.

“He’s done very well for himself. He has been very self-disciplined in a lot ways which has paid off. It may help him get an academic plus football scholarship. I’m proud of him.â€

The William Fleming game was a special to Steptoe as it was the senior night and the Beavers last regular season home game.

“It felt good because it was senior night,†Steptoe said of his performance. “It could possibly be our last home game and I wanted to make sure we could host games in the playoffs.â€

The Beavers travel to James Monroe on Oct. 29 and to Wayne the following week to complete the regular season.

Bluefield is currently fourth in the latest WVSSAC Class AA rankings with a record of 7-1. Steptoe, along with others, has been a key to the their success.

Steptoe currently leads the team in receiving with 379 yards on 19 catches for four touchdowns. He’s added another 379 yards on the ground including five touchdowns.

“Byron’s been playing clutch ever since Charlotte Country Day,†said Simon, of the Beavers’ lone loss of the season, a 41-14 decision on Sept. 16. “I think a lot of our players have stepped it up and he’s one of them.

“He’s running better, blocking better, he’s catching the football and he’s making plays on defense for us. He’s very deserving (of the award).â€

Despite making plays on defense or running for touchdowns, Steptoe enjoys playing wide receiver the most.

“I love to run routes,†he said. “You get to show your athleticism. It puts you one-on-one with the defender and it just who wants the ball most. I love the challenge.â€

Steptoe has stepped up to the challenge not only this season, but throughout his career at Bluefield High School.

“He’s taken the good with the bad,†Simon said. “Last year, he would start in certain places then he wouldn’t, but he never complained. He just kept working. Since the Charlotte Country Day game, he and the other seniors have stepped it up.

“I’m very proud of what he’s accomplished both on and off the field. He’s one that I hope our younger players look up to.â€

The success Steptoe has achieved on the field and off can be attributed to one person, his father.

“It’s something my dad always pushed me to do,†he said. “My dad instilled it in me at a young age to the best at everything I do.â€

With his success, Steptoe is looking at a bright future on which might include Princeton University. But for now, he is an important key to the success of the Beavers.

“He is very important,†Simon said. “I don’t think any one member is more important than the other. He’s valuable with his experience playing for three years. He’s really starting to come around and see things out on the field like when to make adjustments.â€

Steptoe knows he’s no more important than the rest and that football is a team game.

“It all works together,†he said. “The line is where it all starts. Without them, it wouldn’t be possible to beat teams like William Fleming.â€

It may seem like Steptoe has everything one could want right now, but he still has a few more goals left for this season.

“Another ring,†he said with a smile. “I want to be the first class to get three rings and the first to go back-to-back.â€

With a very talented and determined Bluefield team, Steptoe and the Beavers just might be able to accomplish his goal.

— Contact Jonathan Greene

at jgreene@bdtonline.com

Honorable Mention

Bland County (lost to Narrows 20-13): Dylan Kidd 5-of-9 passing, 81 yds., 1 TD, 66 yds. rushing, 1 TD; Jakob Haun 64 yds. rushing; Raymond Greene 3 catches for 51 yds.

Bluefield (defeated WIlliam Fleming 24-8): Levi Beckett 92 yds. passing, 1 TD, 67 yds. rushing; Trey Williams 82 yds. rushing, 1 TD.

Giles (loss to E. Montgomery 53-27): Adam Baker 10 carries for 150 yds; Brad Kessinger 18 carries for 118 yds., 1 TD; Frankie Robertson 1 TD, 1 int.

Graham (defeated Tazewell 41-14): Spencer Sheets 132 yds. passing, 2 TD, 1 TD rushing; Alex Harclerode 96 yds. rushing on 4 carries, TD on fumble return; Gabe Hurt 2 catches for 131 yds., 1 TD.

Grundy (defeated Abingdon 35-28): Tyler Berglowe 240 yds. rushing, 3 TD; Cody Justus 16 carries for 91 yds.

Haysi (lost to Sullivan North 49-14): Derick Blair 54 yds. rushing, 1 TD, 8-for-16 for 61 yds. passing, 1 TD; Eric Helton 43 yds. rushing.

Hurley (defeated Pound 50-19): William Rawlins 138 yds. rushing, 3 TD; Reed Justice 119 yds. rushing, 3 TD; Austin Cooper 9-of-13 passing, 148 yds., 2 TD.

James Monroe (lost to Greenbrier East 27-6): Andrew Evans 8-for-16 passing, 104 yds., 1 TD; Jordan McKinney 3 catches for 69 yds., 1 TD.

Mount View (lost to Scott 20-6): LaQuell Martin 80-yd. TD.

Narrows (defeated Bland Co. 20-13): Joe Butler 17-for-102 yds. rushing, 2 TD; Tyler Conley 2 catches for 85 yds., 9 rushes for 37 yds., 1 TD; Brock Lusk 2-for-5 passing for 85 yds.

Princeton (lost to Hurricane 46-13): Tre Hopkins 1 TD; Tahj Johnson 1 TD; O.B. Pannell int.

Richlands (defeated Lebanon 56-13): Cody Lockhart 8-of-10 passing, 3 TD; Devon Johnson 116 yds. rushing, 2 TD; Albert Fajardo int. return for TD; Sean Overton int. return for TD.

Summers Co. (lost to Meadow Bridge 44-0): Jesse Howdershelt 22 carries for 101 yds.

Tazewell (lost to Graham 41-14): Mikal Moore 217 yds. rushing. Shaquille McDonald 2 TDs rushing; Cody McCann 45 yards passing.

Twin Valley (lost to St. Paul 38-8): Jon Meadows 1 TD.

Life has many choices---eternity two