I feel like beating off a dead horse...

vthokies4life

I think we should put our brilliant minds together and come up with the perfect system to determine a National Champion in football (assuming the current system doesn't do so). Here is my suggestion.

We should have an 8 team playoff comprised of the champions of the 6 major conferences plus the two highest ranked mid-major teams and/or independent teams. Each major conference should have a championship of their own to determine who would represent them in the playoff.

Even if something like this was passed, we would still have to deal with a couple of questions. First, how big of a role do preseason rankings play into this? Also, are preseason rankings effective? And if not, is there a way to completely do away them? Second, How is each BCS bowl going to be fiscally content? I mean, let's be real. It's money that's driving the BCS anyway. Honestly, I think it's these two topics that are keeping college football from its potential right now.

That's my two cents on the topic. I would enjoy to hear what everyone else says about it.

Edited by bluefieldRocks

If you did it that way, you could have the mid major conferences play it off for the final two bids? Take their champions in a tourney.

If you want to keep the integrity of the "one game per week" standard, then a tournament of the mid-major champions would be a problem. We'd be going until February. I still prefer the 16-team setup, but if we're doing 8, I would like to see conference champs only with the 2 highest computer-ranked non-AQ conference champs to duke it out.

I think we should put our brilliant minds together and come up with the perfect system to determine a National Champion in football (assuming the current system doesn't do so). Here is my suggestion.

We should have an 8 team playoff comprised of the champions of the 6 major conferences plus the two highest ranked mid-major teams and/or independent teams. Each major conference should have a championship of their own to determine who would represent them in the playoff.

Even if something like this was passed, we would still have to deal with a couple of questions. First, how big of a role do preseason rankings play into this? Also, are preseason rankings effective? And if not, is there a way to completely do away them? Second, How is each BCS bowl going to be fiscally content? I mean, let's be real. It's money that's driving the BCS anyway. Honestly, I think it's these two topics that are keeping college football from its potential right now.

That's my two cents on the topic. I would enjoy to hear what everyone else says about it.

I would agree on the 8 team playoff. However, I would not automatically give the conference champions an automatic bid. I swear I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, but the Big East Champion THIS year should not be in a playoff for the NC. VA Tech 3 or 4 years ago won the ACC and was ranked 19th. (not jabbing, just facts). Take the teams ranked 1-8, conferences do not matter and then in any order :

1 vs 8 - Sugar Bowl

2 vs 7 - Rose Bowl

3 vs 6 - Fiesta Bowl

4 vs 5 - Orange Bowl

Winners play in final 4 format and then your NC game. Keep the Citrus, Peach, Music City, Etc., all of these the same. The bowl lovers have bowls, the playoff lovers have playoffs, and the schools and NCAA make tons of money. Everybody is happy (except the 9th ranked team, lol). Boise St. gets a shot, TCU gets a shot, and very good 1 loss teams get a shot. I just think 16 teams would "water down the season".