Pocy Coal/BDT - POW - Jade McDaniel (James Monroe) Jan 24-30

tbgfan

February 4, 2011

McDaniel thrives on the basketball court

By JONATHAN GREENE

Bluefield Daily Telegraph The Bluefield Daily Telegraph Fri Feb 04, 2011, 04:58 AM EST

BLUEFIELD — Angela Terry and Jade McDaniel came to the James Monroe girls basketball four years. Terry as the new head coach and McDaniel as a freshman on the court.

“When I started as coach she was a freshman, she grew up playing ball,†Terry said. “She’s always been about basketball. She loves to the play sports. You can see that in her. The other girls look up to her. She’s the one I can count no matter what I say.â€

McDaniel helped the Mavericks to a perfect week last week as they defeated Bluefield and Greenbrier West.

The senior guard scored 20 points in the win over the Beavers and dropped 16 points and grabbed eight boards against Greenbrier West.

“Confidence, especially with the three point shot,†Terry said of what she noticed of McDaniel. “Once she hits one, she’s almost guaranteed four or five for the night. Jade is the kind of player even when she’s not scoring, she needs to be on the floor.â€

Her performances earned her Pocahonatas Coal Association/ Bluefield Daily Telegraph Player of the Week honors for Jan. 24-30.

“Teamwork,†McDaniel said of how she was able to perform. “We worked together. We knew they were going to be tough games. I shot a couple outside shots and they weren’t falling, so I decided to start driving to the hoop and get three-point plays.â€

From her freshman year until now, McDaniel has continued to work on her game by going to camps and playing summer basketball. The hard work has paid off.

“I think I’ve matured more as a player,†she said. “I know what my teammates and my coaches expect of me. I’ve worked hard in the summers the past couple years.â€

Terry said “She’s matured. She’s always doing something to improve her game. She’s going to camps, played summer ball. She’s matured mentally to be able to take on the leadership (role).â€

McDaniel also knows when to have fun and be serious, a sign she has stepped comfortably into the leadership role.

“She’s very coachable,†Terry said. “She’s hilarious, but serious about the game. She can be hard on her self. She’s a very good team player and enjoys playing with them. She’s got it all. She’s not afraid to ask questions. She’s all about improving.â€

Her abilities on the court translate to the classroom as well. McDaniel is a “straight A student†according to Terry.

“I consider myself a hard worker,†McDaniel said. “I always put academics first then athletics.â€

McDaniel plans on pursuing a degree to be a physical therapist. She is currently looking a Concord and Bluefield State to continue her career and fulfill her dreams.

“Basketball has always been my favorite sport,†McDaniel said. “I’ve played since I was little. I’ve always dreamed of going to college and playing. Those dreams have never died.

“I grew up around it. My brother and my cousin played. I was always at a basketball court somewhere and developed a love for the game.â€

Her dreams on the high school court are not over yet. McDaniel and the Mavericks have been ranked in the top 10 most of the year in double A and are looking for state championship.

“I hope to the lead the team to the state championship,†McDaniel said. “I’m sure we’ll be facing Summers County.â€

As seen by her attitude, it’s not hard to see why McDaniel has been successful on and off the court and is looked up to by her teammates.

“We’re going to miss her a lot next year,†Terry said. “Her and Karsyn Boothe. She’s what James Monroe basketball is all about.â€

— Contact Jonathan Greene

at jgreene@bdtonline.com

HONORABLE MENTION

Bluefield (0-1 during the week): Shelia Hopkins 22 pts; Ebony Allison 12 pts.

Council (0-1): Chelsea McGlothlin 14 pts.

Graham (1-1): Mariah Lampert 16 pts; Meagan Henry 13 pts vs. Tazewell/

Grundy (1-1): Savannah Charles 28 pts; Hannah Stiltner 19 pts; Samantha Owens 14 pts, 12 reb.

Honaker (1-0): Emma Kiser 13 pts vs. Hurley; Rachel Artrip 12 pts; Emily Musick 11 pts.

Hurley (0-2): Chelsea Hunt 26 pts, 14 reb.

James Monroe (2-0): Karsyn Boothe 26 pts.

Mount View (0-1): Jordan Younger 8 pts.

Narrows (1-0): Cameron Snidow 25 pts, 11 reb, 4 st, 4 ast; Savanna Burton 10 pts, 16 reb, 4 ast, 3 blocks; Starla Reed 8pts, 7 reb, 6st, 4ast

PikeView (2-0): Kimmie Thomas 16 pts, 20 reb; Danielle Compton 17 pts, 15 reb; Hope Nester 33 pts.

Princeton (2-1): McKenzie Akers 57 pts; Hannah Preservati 52 pts including 28 pts, 9 reb, 8 steals vs. Ripley.

Richlands (2-1): Brittany Allen 36 pts; Jordyn Cole 26 pts.

River View (2-1): Samantha Matney 45 pts including 17 pts, 8 reb, 4 st vs. Matewan; Chelsea Dobbs 23 pts, 25 reb, 13 blocks.

Summers County (3-0): Hallie Gunnoe 81 pts, 24 reb, 17 asts, 18 steals; Leslie Mack 25 pts vs. Princeton.

Tazewell (2-1): Taylor Catron 36 pts; Iesha Mountain 39 pts including 18 pts, 7 reb, 6 steals vs. Graham.

Twin Valley (1-1): Katie Jo Lester 22 pts, 9 reb

Life has many choices---eternity two