Environmentalism Stinks

No, literally.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/28/BAVP1HUSUD.DTL&tsp=1

I like me some irony. Environmentalists going far out of their way to conserve water by purchasing low-flow toilets. Toilets do not do the job, causing not only a terrible stench but clogging the sewers. City spends $100 MILLION dollars to renovate the sewage treatment process to fix this problem. It fails. City responds by treating the water with eight and a half MILLION gallons of bleach to make it potable again, at a cost of $14 MILLION dollars.

So what do we have? Just to "save" water (that would be reused again by going through the sewage treatment process), San Francisco citizens have wasted $114 MILLION dollars and are going to be pumping their waters full of enough bleach to float a battleship. S. M. H.

Edited by UVAObserver

No, literally.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/02/28/BAVP1HUSUD.DTL&tsp=1

I like me some irony. Environmentalists going far out of their way to conserve water by purchasing low-flow toilets. Toilets do not do the job, causing not only a terrible stench but clogging the sewers. City spends $100 MILLION dollars to renovate the sewage treatment process to fix this problem. It fails. City responds by treating the water with eight and a half MILLION gallons of bleach to make it potable again, at a cost of $14 MILLION dollars.

So what do we have? Just to "save" water (that would be reused again by going through the sewage treatment process), San Francisco citizens have wasted $114 MILLION dollars and are going to be pumping their waters full of enough bleach to float a battleship. S. M. H.

The push for low volume toilets is all in the name of water conservation. The argument was that more efficient plumbing systems would save water. This has worked with more efficient washers and dishwashers, but not with toilets. We had a conventional washer and bought a new front load high efficiency models and out water use was cut in half. Sadly the same can't be said for low flow toilets. Many are just junk, and require 3-4 flushes to clear solids. (Maybe the newer models are better, but the ones in my house suck.)

Yes, most every sewer plant in the US uses chlorine to remove harmful bacteria, which they then have to remove because it is illegal to be discharged into streams. Don't forget that chlorine is also used to treat public drinking waters. You are seeing newer plants being built that use ultra-violet light to treat the water and sewerage, but conversion in older plants is slow to take place and expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

at how a UVA graduate can make a statement about all environmentalists based on 1 situation . I can give you another example . One time you could not see the hills around Los Angeles . Today you can because of the invention of the catalytic converter . Sometimes we spend too much but do we really want to be like china and wear gas masks during the day . The fact of the matter is that the so called liberals have forced laws to save our childrens lives but sometimes they go too far . Lets use our knoggin a little bit . :eek:

at how a UVA graduate can make a statement about all environmentalists based on 1 situation . I can give you another example . One time you could not see the hills around Los Angeles . Today you can because of the invention of the catalytic converter . Sometimes we spend too much but do we really want to be like china and wear gas masks during the day . The fact of the matter is that the so called liberals have forced laws to save our childrens lives but sometimes they go too far . Lets use our knoggin a little bit . :eek:

Of course I wouldn't lump all environmentalists together in one fell swoop. That'd be awful silly and short-sighted. The thread title was more of an attempt to make a funny pun if anything. Like any respectable lifestyle choice, environmentalism is good in moderation.

My point here is that in trying to go over the top to conserve water in San Francisco, the conservationists ended up costing the city 9-figures and required bleaching the waters to astounding levels to clean up the sewage.

Moral of the story: sometimes it's better to waste a few ten thousand gallons of water (which would be reused anyway once it passes through the sewage treatment process) than to take one step forward and ten steps back.