FCA Hogo vs SWD Senior All Star Game Today

grahamballer44

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2011/mar/19/prep-hoops-viers-leads-swd-all-stars-win-ar-915822/

PREP HOOPS: Viers leads SWD All-Stars to win

By Tim Hayes

Published: March 19, 2011

MARION, Va. – Zach Viers’ senior season at Abingdon High School included a district title and a regional tournament appearance.

On Saturday afternoon, he proved he still had one more win left in him.

Viers hit a 3-pointer with 31 seconds left, the decisive shot as a group of Southwest District All-Stars beat the Hogoheegee District All-Stars, 71-67, at Marion High School.

Viers played a key role as Abingdon won the SWD boys basketball regular season and tournament titles. The guys he battled on a nightly basis during that title run were his teammates on Saturday.

“It was fun,†Viers said. “We all have pretty good chemistry. Playing against each other, we know how each other plays and all that. It’s just nice to come out and play a non-serious game and just have fun.â€

Viers did get serious down the stretch.

After the Hogoheegee District squad knotted things up at 70 on a 3-pointer by Rural Retreat’s Matthew Thompson, Viers answered right back by sinking the go-ahead shot from long distance.

“I hadn’t been hitting anything at all [from 3-point range],†Viers said. “[The defender] stepped off and I knew I was getting it.â€

Viers added a free throw with 5.4 seconds left to seal the win and finished with 14 points. Carroll County’s Mac Martin scored a team-high 20 points and also hit some clutch shots in the second half for the SWD contingent.

“He’s real solid,†Viers said of Martin. “He hit some [shots] on us during the season. He’s a good player.â€

Thompson finished with a game-high 28 points to lead the Hogoheegee squad. He had 19 of those in the second half.

“The first half wasn’t [good offensively],†Thompson said. “The second half I thought I might come out and try to do something.â€

Thompson was all smiles after his impressive performance.

“It’s an honor to get invited to come to this,†he said. “Really, it’s your last chance to do anything. Basketball season’s over. I just came out here to have fun.â€

Holston’s Cody Hawkins added 10 points for the Hogoheegee.

GIRLS

Southwest Virginia 67, Hogoheegee/Cumberland 21

Tazewell’s Iesha Mountain scored 16 points to lead a group of All-Stars from Southwest Virginia past players from the Hogoheegee and Cumberland Districts.

Honaker’s Rachel Artrip (13 points), John Battle’s Brittni Altmann (12 points) Graham’s Maegan Henry (11 points) also scored in double figures for the winners. The Mountain-led squad opened leads of 26-5 and 44-10 en route to an easy win.

George Wythe’s Deneesha Van Dorp led the losing team with eight points.

thayes@bristolnews.com | Twitter:@Hayes_BHCSports | (276) 645-2570

Spring--God's greeting card

Thanks for posting this... Mac had a great time and said it was fun getting to play with these guys instead of against them!

Mac had a great game ,if this is the young man I believe is from Carrol CO.