What's everyone's thoughts about this kind of situation?

Don't get me wrong, my heart goes out to her, and she truly does want what is best for her son. But I have a few thoughts here:

(1) She should've just registered her address as the homeless shelter. Why lie about it? Makes little sense to me.

(2) She is in the legal wrong for falsifying a legally operative document. Fraud is fraud.

(3a) This should NEVER have been sent to court. This is typically handled between school and parent.

(3b) This is simple exploitation of the poor, putting this action in the criminal realm. Very disheartening.

It's true that she was in the wrong according to the law and this could've been avoided, but it just seems like the penalty is way too much for the crime. I mean, possible 20 years in prison and $15,000 fine?! There are murderers, rapists, and drug dealers who get less of a sentence. About the only people who get worse (other than something justifying the death penalty of course) are tax evaders. That's insane! Also, she probably didn't want to use the homeless shelter as her address because how would the teachers look at that or any of the boy's classmates if they found out? I'm sure she thought it would be less embarassing for him and her if she used the address of her friend's home. It also sucks that her friend lost her home because of this too. All she wanted was for her son to go to a better school and this is what they get. I wonder what will happen to the boy now if the mom goes to jail? And what about her now possibly homeless friend?

It's true that she was in the wrong according to the law and this could've been avoided, but it just seems like the penalty is way too much for the crime. I mean, possible 20 years in prison and $15,000 fine?! There are murderers, rapists, and drug dealers who get less of a sentence. About the only people who get worse (other than something justifying the death penalty of course) are tax evaders. That's insane! Also, she probably didn't want to use the homeless shelter as her address because how would the teachers look at that or any of the boy's classmates if they found out? I'm sure she thought it would be less embarassing for him and her if she used the address of her friend's home. It also sucks that her friend lost her home because of this too. All she wanted was for her son to go to a better school and this is what they get. I wonder what will happen to the boy now if the mom goes to jail? And what about her now possibly homeless friend?

I do see the point in what you're saying, and perhaps it's my own life experiences, but I'd much rather be forthright AND get my son the education he needs, rather than lie/break the law/have my son barred from the school to begin with.

Everything else, I agree with.