Carlock Jr. new A.D. at Graham

floridabeaver

Carlock takes over as Graham AD

By Jim Talbert

Published: May 10, 2011

» 0 Comments | Post a Comment

TAZEWELL – A familiar name is filling the athletic director’s chair at Graham High School.

The Tazewell County School board approved the appointment of Glynn Carlock, Jr. at its May 9 meeting. Carlock replaces Doug Marrs who resigned earlier this year.

Carlock, a long time basketball coach and assistant football coach at the school is following in the footsteps of his late father in filling the post of athletic director. Mike Blevins, who held the post on an interim basis, did not apply for the job.

While Carlock filled the athletic director’s chair, the board did not fill the position of head football coach. Interviews were conducted last week at the school but no one has been named to succeed Marrs in that post.

This is great news for the school and the community as well. With the new facilities opening soon, and with the needed drop in classification, I am hoping that Graham football will soon be back. By the way, I was in Gate City that night that the banner mentioned in the BDT was displayed. Carlock's selection is a very positive first step in revamping the "unnecessary mess" which was allowed to continue for far too long. I am still keeping my fingers crossed for another positive announcement regarding the new football coach. I certainly miss all the Graham-Gate City athletic competitions and hope the rivalry will be continued soon. The two schools always had a mutual respect for each other and produced some great high school football games. The classic was in 1995 when Graham held on to win at Gate City and advance to the state semis. Two weeks later , another state championship trophy was proudly displayed by the G-Men in Fredricksburg. I had never seen so much mud in my life when Graham upset King George in the championship game. The memory of all of those Graham fans making the long trip up north to the DC area in sleet, snow, and ice is a classic.