The Big Picture: A split between the AQ and the non-AQ is inevitable

Could a split between the haves and have-nots of college football be in the works?

Barnhart proposes that the six major conferences and the independents -- Army, Navy, Notre Dame and BYU -- would form a 70-team group called the College Football Association. The non-AQ teams would have to ban together with the I-AA schools (or FCS) to stay afloat.

I like the idea. What do you guys think?

Read More Here

I like the idea. What do you guys think?

Read More Here

I think this article and Barnhart are putting far too much stock into what is little more than a Big Ten/SEC brainstorming session. They're using that as one of the main vehicles to drive this change. I would prefer to see an actual plan, rather than just an idea, spur this sort of change.

While yes, the BCS is hopefully a dying breed, I don't think banding together would be the most reasonable solution. The non-AQ schools are already on the outside-looking-in; I don't know if I see the benefit in making it an official alliance.

The non-AQ schools are already on the outside-looking-in

I guess I don't see that as a bad thing, and maybe it's because I am a Bama fan and a fan of the SEC. I have always contended strength of schedule should account for a bigger piece of the puzzle when deciding rankings, and Mid Majors, now Non-AQ teams, definitely have it easier than the AQ teams.

I guess I don't see that as a bad thing, and maybe it's because I am a Bama fan and a fan of the SEC. I have always contended strength of schedule should account for a bigger piece of the puzzle when deciding rankings, and Mid Majors, now Non-AQ teams, definitely have it easier than the AQ teams.

I definitely agree, strength of schedule should play a significantly greater role.

To play devil's advocate: couldn't you just tweak the BCS to account for strength of schedule more than it does now?

I definitely agree, strength of schedule should play a significantly greater role.

To play devil's advocate: couldn't you just tweak the BCS to account for strength of schedule more than it does now?

Absolutely...and they should. It would definitely be the simpler solution.