APCO ditching coal at Glen Lyn, Carbo & Louisa

Glyn Lyn will be shutered, Cleveland & Louisa will be convered to natural gas

http://www.wvva.com/Global/story.asp?S=14875222

we have our wonderful federal gov. to thank for this and all the new regulations that are in place to do away with coal and oil and move toward a more greener economy. i for one cannot afford higher elect. cost nor can i afford a elect. car they will kill our economy if this continues.

we have our wonderful federal gov. to thank for this and all the new regulations that are in place to do away with coal and oil and move toward a more greener economy. i for one cannot afford higher elect. cost nor can i afford a elect. car they will kill our economy if this continues.

While true that shutting down coal operations hurts, switching to natural gas is a gigantic positive. It is a cleaner, more efficient fuel than coal; it produces less emissions; and believe it or not, there's actually more of that in our region than coal. That's the future, like it or not.

While true that shutting down coal operations hurts, switching to natural gas is a gigantic positive. It is a cleaner, more efficient fuel than coal; it produces less emissions; and believe it or not, there's actually more of that in our region than coal. That's the future, like it or not.

in wv there is a lot of coal that is not even tapped and a lot that has not been mined out where mines shut down. and need to use it to turn into gas which a plant is being built in wva to do just that. also the natural gas that is in wv the most of it is capped wells that has no pipeline to transport it to plants. go into mcdowell wyoming raliegh and other coal counties in wv and you will see gas wells everywhere capped. it will take a lot of money to build the pipeline just to transport it. with coal all it will take is to reopen mines so that plants like the one in gilbert area to have coal to process into gas for people.

http://www.siteselection.com/theEnergyReport/2009/september/transgas/index.htm

this is the plant in mingo county that will convert coal to gas by they say 2013.

there were articles about the groundbreaking in the bdt and other newspapers this week and a article on a wvu site about the plant which should be in full production by 2016 and employ 300 full time people and 3000 to build it. good for mingo county and wv. took some searching to find it but this is one way to use the coal in this country along with the natural gas that is abundant in this country. just need the infrastructure to transport it.

When coal is burned it let's off Carbon Dioxide which gives trees what it needs to let off Oxygen, Coal is used for many many many diffrent things and to start shutting down mines will destroy not only the economy but jobs for a lot of people. The heat from burning coal, gas and oil are used today to make cement ,glass and pottery.Coal is also mixed with certain rocks that are also

mined, and when the mixture is burned steel is produced.Coal is used to make the medicines to cure diseases – from aspirin to help a headache to very special drugs to treat things like cancers. Coal is more than just gas, its many things that we need in our everyday life, but let Obama and our wonderful government shut all the mines they want down and when they wake up in the morning flip a switch and no lights come on don't come complanin to the dumb ole miners!!!!!

When coal is burned it let's off Carbon Dioxide which gives trees what it needs to let off Oxygen, Coal is used for many many many diffrent things and to start shutting down mines will destroy not only the economy but jobs for a lot of people. The heat from burning coal, gas and oil are used today to make cement ,glass and pottery.Coal is also mixed with certain rocks that are also

mined, and when the mixture is burned steel is produced.Coal is used to make the medicines to cure diseases – from aspirin to help a headache to very special drugs to treat things like cancers. Coal is more than just gas, its many things that we need in our everyday life, but let Obama and our wonderful government shut all the mines they want down and when they wake up in the morning flip a switch and no lights come on don't come complanin to the dumb ole miners!!!!!

look up the coal to oil plant that is going to be built in gilbert wv. many are complaining because fo the CO2 that is left from the process but it can be used to get oil out of a well that is almost finished and gas from a well that is almost finished and then be sequestered in that well from now on. canada is doing that already. also a article i read from wvu university site states they have developed a process and have the rights to it that will not produce excessive amounts of CO2. this plant in gilbert will bring 300 jobs to the plant and also hopefully reopen closed mines in the wv ky area for miners to put more of them back to work. also will help the economy in gilbert and southern wv.and will eventually produce cleaner deisel gas and other fuels for the country. another benifit from coal.

Not quite. Coal lets off carbon dioxide, but it also lets off sulfur dioxide, hydrochloric acid, etc. The last two I listed certainly aren't beneficial to trees, and can kill you in not exceedingly large quantities. It's like calling cigarettes therapeutic, based simply on the fact that they contain menthol. Let's not kid ourselves: coal is a dirty, dirty product to burn. We all know this.

You're also throwing out these wildly tangential uses for coal, which are by no means where the majority of the coal goes. 95%+ of the coal dug from the hills of SWVA is converted to energy. Again, it's like trying to say that pencils aren't made for writing, because you can use then to shoot rubber bands.

This being said, and I capitalize for emphasis: I DO NOT SUPPORT CLOSING COAL MINES. I also am not directing this at you specifically. Thank you.

Not quite. Coal lets off carbon dioxide, but it also lets off sulfur dioxide, hydrochloric acid, etc. The last two I listed certainly aren't beneficial to trees, and can kill you in not exceedingly large quantities. It's like calling cigarettes therapeutic, based simply on the fact that they contain menthol. Let's not kid ourselves: coal is a dirty, dirty product to burn. We all know this.

You're also throwing out these wildly tangential uses for coal, which are by no means where the majority of the coal goes. 95%+ of the coal dug from the hills of SWVA is converted to energy. Again, it's like trying to say that pencils aren't made for writing, because you can use then to shoot rubber bands.

This being said, and I capitalize for emphasis: I DO NOT SUPPORT CLOSING COAL MINES. I also am not directing this at you specifically. Thank you.

but with the coal to oil they recover the sulfur amonia and other by products to be sold. also wvu site had a article about being able to clean the by products of coal to oil cleanly. also you have co2 sequestration that has been proven successful in canada and else where so this project i feel will be very benificial to the area with few adverse side effects.it took me about a hour of checking to find out most of this information.

though you do not support closing of coal mines the fact would be that more will close without the coal power plants and our epa regualtions are hurting our country while countries like china and in asia are building coal fired power plants by the handfull so what little bit we do to curb co2 admissions in this country will not help the overall picture other than hurt jobs in this country. hopefully this coal to oil plant will be able to make a profit and expand in years to come which will help the coal fields in this country. we have way more coal than most people realize. natural gas i think is a long ways away from being used other than for power plants on a wide scale. natural gas cars have been tried but again the infrastrusture is not there. actually years ago there was a natural gas punp in blfd wva the the intersection of grassy branch and cumberland road but no cars or trucks to make it feasible and was shut down many years ago. and until then my opinion is use what we have for energy. take the coal turn it into gas and desiel and use natural gas for power plants.supplement the natural gas plants with wind mill farms on mountain tops.

...the fact would be that more will close without the coal power plants and our epa regualtions are hurting our country ....

I could argue that more mines were closed in the last 20 years, while coal plants WERE operational, than will shut down in the next 20 years .

EPA regs only hurt the ppl. that don't want them. There ARE ppl. who don't like breathing soot.

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/coaltattoo/2011/06/14/ignoring-inconvenient-facts-on-aep-announcement/

I could argue that more mines were closed in the last 20 years, while coal plants WERE operational, than will shut down in the next 20 years .

EPA regs only hurt the ppl. that don't want them. There ARE ppl. who don't like breathing soot.

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/coaltattoo/2011/06/14/ignoring-inconvenient-facts-on-aep-announcement/

actually the mines are safer and coal is burned cleaner than 20 years ago.you dont see soot at glen lyn plant. and the main reason coal plants closed was because of cost. coal was going up in price and the cost of doing business in a mine was going up with increased wages and restrictions on making sure that mines were reclaimed which is good but many areas in mcdowell county have used old strip mines for building.if the epa wants the usa to do away with coal because of soot then this country needs to get countries like china and others to stop building coal fired plants.

if people want electricity you cannot get enough of it from natural gas, wind, hydroelectric or nuclear. also no new nuclear plants have been built in this country in years. but again if the gov. would give tax breaks or assistance like they are wanting to do with pushing electric cars to the power companies they could put scrubbers on their plants to clean the exhaust. but everyone wants clean electric. nat. gas in wv is there but as i said no infrastructure to get it out of the counties in southern wv. to where it is needed. hundreds maybe thousands of capped gas wells in wv with no pipeline to transport it.

Guest The Variable

The US has more coal than any other area on the planet. We are literally the saudi arabia of coal countries. If we did invest in coal-to-oil tech, we wouldnt have to worry about ethanol ruining our weedeaters and lawnmowers and almost any car engine made prior to 2006. Ethanol has proven to be a HIGHER pollutant than regular fuel when using the wrong ingredients. We dont use cane in our ethanol. Also, because of the corn we waste in its production, food prices go up, as well as livestock feed so meat and poultry product prices go up. We thought about coal-to-oil back in the 70s but the price to convert and OPEC was finally not strangling us. Now its a great idea. You want the US to be energy independent? Nuclear Power and Coal-to-Oil and ANWR and close shore drilling are all safe bets. So is natural gas, but guess whats next on the EPA hit-list: Natural Gas.

And the world isnt going to end and the polar bears arent going to drown.

The US has more coal than any other area on the planet. We are literally the saudi arabia of coal countries. If we did invest in coal-to-oil tech, we wouldnt have to worry about ethanol ruining our weedeaters and lawnmowers and almost any car engine made prior to 2006. Ethanol has proven to be a HIGHER pollutant than regular fuel when using the wrong ingredients. We dont use cane in our ethanol. Also, because of the corn we waste in its production, food prices go up, as well as livestock feed so meat and poultry product prices go up. We thought about coal-to-oil back in the 70s but the price to convert and OPEC was finally not strangling us. Now its a great idea. You want the US to be energy independent? Nuclear Power and Coal-to-Oil and ANWR and close shore drilling are all safe bets. So is natural gas, but guess whats next on the EPA hit-list: Natural Gas.

And the world isnt going to end and the polar bears arent going to drown.

this gov only wants green energy and the technology is not there to make it feasible for the entire country or for cars. cannot get enough energy from wind turbines or hydroelectric power plants. and damming rivers hurts the ecology of the fish in the river. and now coal to oil plant in wv is getting started to be built. we need coal and all other forms of energy. as for nat. gas in wv loads of it but as i have stated no infrastructure to transport it out of the mountains where it is to where it is needed. this will cost millions and millions of dollars to build the pipe lines not to mention the epa regulations on the companies that would dig the pipe line and the studies for impact on nature that would have to be done first. so coal to oil is a feasible way to go.

Guest The Variable
this gov only wants green energy and the technology is not there to make it feasible for the entire country or for cars. cannot get enough energy from wind turbines or hydroelectric power plants. and damming rivers hurts the ecology of the fish in the river. and now coal to oil plant in wv is getting started to be built. we need coal and all other forms of energy. as for nat. gas in wv loads of it but as i have stated no infrastructure to transport it out of the mountains where it is to where it is needed. this will cost millions and millions of dollars to build the pipe lines not to mention the epa regulations on the companies that would dig the pipe line and the studies for impact on nature that would have to be done first. so coal to oil is a feasible way to go.

Yeah well what is "green" tech? According to the eco-terrorists, we should all be living sans-power. Hydroelectric messes with fish as you say and the wind turbines mess with fowl and other flying animals. Solar cant generate enough juice.

Frankly, I dont know how you guys are going to do NG pipelines up in WV. I can only imagine the engineering nightmare that going up down and around those mountains will cause.

FIRE UP THE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS!!!

Yeah well what is "green" tech? According to the eco-terrorists, we should all be living sans-power. Hydroelectric messes with fish as you say and the wind turbines mess with fowl and other flying animals. Solar cant generate enough juice.

Frankly, I dont know how you guys are going to do NG pipelines up in WV. I can only imagine the engineering nightmare that going up down and around those mountains will cause.

FIRE UP THE NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS!!!

they have run a few lines in wv wyoming county and it is a nightmare takes a long time to run a nat. gas pipeline in wv. plus you have the epa getting on them with studies on the impact on nature where the line would go. so takes years to get permits.