What's everyone think about this?

ThomasDenton

This person's alternate idea to the NCAA football conference realignments:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/4792/embracing-realignment-relegation-in-college-sports

"This person"?!

That's MARK THE SHARK Titus! Founder of Club Trillion!!

Definitely look it up. How he got to writing for Grantland is a fun story.

Now to actually reading what he wrote...

"This person"?!

That's MARK THE SHARK Titus! Founder of Club Trillion!!

Definitely look it up. How he got to writing for Grantland is a fun story.

Now to actually reading what he wrote...

Wow, I just looked up who he is. I didn't know he was that famous. Crazy that he's only a year older than me.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/4792/embracing-realignment-relegation-in-college-sports

Cute idea that's absolutely untenable when put into practice.

You'd have the same teams promoting/relegating each year. Unlike teams in European leagues, where the rosters have little fluidity, a college football team's roster turns over completely every five years. The divide between the upper 6 and lower 5 would grow ever stronger, given that many recruits would spurn anything not in the upper 6. You'd have the best of the upper 5 promoting and the worst of the lower 6 demoting, whereas the next year, the teams would have FAR too little and FAR too great of talent respectively for their new leagues.

Hopefully this makes sense, because I feel as if I explained it poorly.

Cute idea that's absolutely untenable when put into practice.

You'd have the same teams promoting/relegating each year. Unlike teams in European leagues, where the rosters have little fluidity, a college football team's roster turns over completely every five years. The divide between the upper 6 and lower 5 would grow ever stronger, given that many recruits would spurn anything not in the upper 6. You'd have the best of the upper 5 promoting and the worst of the lower 6 demoting, whereas the next year, the teams would have FAR too little and FAR too great of talent respectively for their new leagues.

Hopefully this makes sense, because I feel as if I explained it poorly.

Makes perfect sense. You actually explained it much better than I could have. Though I do like the initial idea. lol

I love the idea of relegation and promotion. The big schools would be like the biggest teams in European football; they would get the players but that doesn't necessarily mean they would stay at the top of their conference year after year. Look at Texas last year. If there was relegation, with a 5-7 record there would been some Texas anuses tight as a snare drum.

But again, this would never happen.