I learned two very valuable lessons this morning...

while turkey hunting...

1) ALWAYS be ready with a follow-up shot;

2) NEVER underestimate the resiliency of a gobbler when you think he's down...

Big-ass Tom comes walking into range this morning. I wait, get the perfect opening...BANG!!! Flop, flop...down. I get out of my blind just in time to see him stand up and take to flight through the woods. Went looking for the wounded bird but never found him after a couple of hours of searching...

Guest The Variable
while turkey hunting...

1) ALWAYS be ready with a follow-up shot;

2) NEVER underestimate the resiliency of a gobbler when you think he's down...

Big-ass Tom comes walking into range this morning. I wait, get the perfect opening...BANG!!! Flop, flop...down. I get out of my blind just in time to see him stand up and take to flight through the woods. Went looking for the wounded bird but never found him after a couple of hours of searching...

I cant help but think this might be some Hokie reference.

I cant help but think this might be some Hokie reference.

Not intended that way, but if you want it to be, take it as is...

Turkeys are some tough-ass birds...

Try # 4 Copper coated shot. 3 1/2 inch magnum. Works well in the Spring, not a big fall turkey hunter.

I'm "new" to hunting...last Spring was my first turkey season...saw ZERO. This is the first time in many years that they've had a fall turkey season in Mercer Co....its only this week but its better than nothing. Took off work early on Tuesday and saw nothing but squirrels, crows, and hawks although I heard a few turkeys off in the distance.

This morning...light rain, a little breeze. I heard one back in the woods to my right, a little later this guy comes out of the woods from the right. He came into range, coming towards me, he never saw me. Everything was perfect except the kill...