Much as I enjoy "History with Hayes" in the BHC...

RichlandsAlum

I think there's a significant factual error in his most recent entry. (http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2011/nov/04/history-hayes-phs-class-79-went-out-winners-ar-1436290/)

He claims that Patrick Henry (Glade Spring) was winless from 1974 until the last game of 1978. However, I'm fairly positive that PH defeated Richlands in that 1978 season by a score of 21-14. And I believe this is so because I was physically present at that game and I vividly remember a couple of female PH band members heckling Richlands folks afterwards by singing "Richlands bites the dust."

Anybody else with an eye for trivia and a better memory than mine care to chime in on this?

I think there's a significant factual error in his most recent entry. (http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2011/nov/04/history-hayes-phs-class-79-went-out-winners-ar-1436290/)

He claims that Patrick Henry (Glade Spring) was winless from 1974 until the last game of 1978. However, I'm fairly positive that PH defeated Richlands in that 1978 season by a score of 21-14. And I believe this is so because I was physically present at that game and I vividly remember a couple of female PH band members heckling Richlands folks afterwards by singing "Richlands bites the dust."

Anybody else with an eye for trivia and a better memory than mine care to chime in on this?

Never mind.... That 21-14 loss I'm remembering was in 1980.

4 years without a victory.... Wow.

74 : 4-6... won on 11/1, lost on 11/8, so the streak did START in 74

75, 76 : 0-10

77 : 0-9-1... tied game 8 on 10/21 vs. Richlands

78 : 1-9 ... won game 10 vs. Taze on 11/3

so they lost 28 straight, but went 0-39-1 between wins

74 : 4-6... won on 11/1, lost on 11/8, so the streak did START in 74

75, 76 : 0-10

77 : 0-9-1... tied game 8 on 10/21 vs. Richlands

78 : 1-9 ... won game 10 vs. Taze on 11/3

so they lost 28 straight, but went 0-39-1 between wins

I was surprised, because I hadn't heard about the winless streak before the column appeared on Friday. I knew that Richlands had tied them in '77 (en route to a 3-6-1 final record) and that the Blues finished 3-7 the following year. I'm guessing that our three victories in '78 were against Tazewell, PH, and Grundy.

BTW, do you have an online database? Or is your source some other archive? Curious, because I love to access records like the College Football Data Warehouse site.

Edited by RichlandsAlum