My 2,000th Post

2007 really was a fun year in soccer. Patrick Nyarko was amazing, as was our stable of Germans in the midfield. Too bad Oliver Weiss a.) payed their application fees to Virginia Tech and b.) didn't look to see if they had played professionally in Europe before recruiting them.

In case you were wondering, Oliver Weiss is no longer the coach at Virginia Tech.

That whole situation looked really fishy to Hoo fans, but I didn't want to say anything just in case Weiss was acting on the up-and-up. It just looks awfully strange when your roster goes from "OK" to "European All-Star Team" in 2 years. But I did know that Weiss was relieved of his duties.

Honestly, that team was the most worried I've ever been that VT would win a NC.

What is the soccer you speak of????? Is that also what is known as, "Communist Kick-Ball"?

LOL.

Hey now! I love soccer. It's my second favorite sport to watch behind Football. I've even been to a few VT soccer games. :P

I'd rather watch a bunting clinic than a soccer match. Soccer bores me to tears, but is slightly more palatable when you have a good cheering interest, as I did in '09 when we won the NC.

I'd rather watch a bunting clinic than a soccer match. Soccer bores me to tears, but is slightly more palatable when you have a good cheering interest, as I did in '09 when we won the NC.

You must remember, I follow English Premier League soccer just like I do the NFL and NCAA. Soccer over there is on a whole different level. The people over there are wayyy more passionate about their club than Any NFL fan is for their team. It's nuts.

That whole situation looked really fishy to Hoo fans, but I didn't want to say anything just in case Weiss was acting on the up-and-up. It just looks awfully strange when your roster goes from "OK" to "European All-Star Team" in 2 years. But I did know that Weiss was relieved of his duties.

Honestly, that team was the most worried I've ever been that VT would win a NC.

Right, and there were literally about 500 people who knew and cared that it was happening.

I absolutely love soccer. It's far and away my favorite sport, so it was a blast to watch these guys (however they found their way to Blacksburg, VA) win some games and play some good ball. But Oliver Weiss was an odd duck. If there was anyone who would simply not read an NCAA rule book, it would be Weiss. If there was anyone who would want to help some poor college kids out by paying their application fees without asking if that's ok, it would be Weiss.

Then the whole "played professional soccer" thing was also weird. If I remember correctly, the guy from Germany (I forgot his name) simply didn't tell Weiss and Virginia Tech that he had played for money before enrolling at VT. It was either that German defensive midfielder or that tall English striker we had.

I haven't thought about this team in forever. I'll have to look back and see if I can figure out what happened.

Right, and there were literally about 500 people who knew and cared that it was happening.

I absolutely love soccer. It's far and away my favorite sport, so it was a blast to watch these guys (however they found their way to Blacksburg, VA) win some games and play some good ball. But Oliver Weiss was an odd duck. If there was anyone who would simply not read an NCAA rule book, it would be Weiss. If there was anyone who would want to help some poor college kids out by paying their application fees without asking if that's ok, it would be Weiss.

Then the whole "played professional soccer" thing was also weird. If I remember correctly, the guy from Germany (I forgot his name) simply didn't tell Weiss and Virginia Tech that he had played for money before enrolling at VT. It was either that German defensive midfielder or that tall English striker we had.

I haven't thought about this team in forever. I'll have to look back and see if I can figure out what happened.

It was the German lad who'd played professionally and just "failed to inform". Honestly, it seems like Weiss really should have known that little tidbit of information. That's something that's high on the list to figure out if you're recruiting a kid for your program.

Definitely a talented group. The 2nd-best team in the nation that year, next to Wake.

It was the German lad who'd played professionally and just "failed to inform". Honestly, it seems like Weiss really should have known that little tidbit of information. That's something that's high on the list to figure out if you're recruiting a kid for your program.

Definitely a talented group. The 2nd-best team in the nation that year, next to Wake.

Hahahaha, ok so I just looked up the media guide from that year. Here's what it says about Alexander Baden:

Club: Played for the Rotenburger SV club team for two years … Also played one year in the Oberliga Niedersachsen Fourth division and one in the Niedersachsenliga Fifth division.

Ummm, knowing anything about the structure of soccer leagues in Europe, doesn't this statement from the MEDIA GUIDE make you think, "Huh. He probably got paid"?