Yahoo Sports Bowl Predictions

Ryan4VT

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1293739

Here are the Projections. Has WVU and Clemson in the Orange. VT and Auburn in the Chic-fil-a, and UVA and Cincy in the Belk Bowl in Charlotte.

Not a snowball's chance in Hell we end up in Charlotte, IMO. They aren't passing up Wake when Wake would qualify by the (within 1 game rule), and if we go 0-2, UNC/NCST might even qualify. We end up in El Paso with the ACC's 4th slot (very likely if we can finish 1-1) or we end up in Nashville with the 6th slot (more likely with an 0-2 finish).

The projections for WVU and Tech look right, though. Especially with FSU in prime position for the #3.

I think WVU has their spot wrapped up. So we could see VT/WVU if the dominoes fall the right way. Wouldn't that be a game.

Hey, any bowl is better than no bowl. Right?

True, but UVA gets dumped on quite often by the ACC's bowl tie-ins. Deserved Peach in '02, got Charlotte. Deserved Tangerine in '03, got Charlotte. Deserved Gator in '04, got Boise. Deserved Charlotte in '05, got Nashville. '07 was the only time in the last decade we were accurately placed.

If we were to finish 5-3 in conference, we would deserve Sun (and would deserve Tangerine were we to beat FSU but lose to VT).

True, but UVA gets dumped on quite often by the ACC's bowl tie-ins. Deserved Peach in '02, got Charlotte. Deserved Tangerine in '03, got Charlotte. Deserved Gator in '04, got Boise. Deserved Charlotte in '05, got Nashville. '07 was the only time in the last decade we were accurately placed.

If we were to finish 5-3 in conference, we would deserve Sun (and would deserve Tangerine were we to beat FSU but lose to VT).

Bowls aren't really what you deserve, but how well do your fans travel.

Thus the only ACC teams that get what they deserve are FSU, Clemson, and VT, and probably in that order.

The systems sucks, but it rewards good fans who travel.

Thus the only ACC teams that get what they deserve are FSU, Clemson, and VT, and probably in that order.

UVA could always release another YouTube video if it came down to it.

True, but UVA gets dumped on quite often by the ACC's bowl tie-ins.

That's what happens when your fans don't travel...its all about money. Bowl officials know that some schools will bring lots of fans and others won't. 9 times out of 10, even if a school is "more deserving" based on records, Bowl officials will invite the schools who will sell the tickets and fill the seats. Just how it is...

I think WVU has their spot wrapped up. So we could see VT/WVU if the dominoes fall the right way. Wouldn't that be a game.

Not really.

We have to win out. Beating Pitt and USF.

Then I believe Cincy has to lose 1 more Big East game, but no more than that. I think we need Rutgers to win too. It's crazy...

Not really.

Then I believe Cincy has to lose 1 more Big East game, but no more than that. I think we need Rutgers to win too. It's crazy...

Louisville will need to lose again too.

That's what happens when your fans don't travel...its all about money. Bowl officials know that some schools will bring lots of fans and others won't. 9 times out of 10, even if a school is "more deserving" based on records, Bowl officials will invite the schools who will sell the tickets and fill the seats. Just how it is...

That's the thing. You're just assuming that UVA doesn't travel well, when in reality, UVA travels better than anyone in the ACC except VT, FSU, and Clemson. What our alumni lack in sheer numbers, they make up for with being affluent. There aren't any numbers to prove this, but I'd make a wager that UVA sends more alumni per capita to bowl games than any other school in the ACC.

Didn't see this post until just now, but my reply to GMan suffices for this, too.

That's the thing. You're just assuming that UVA doesn't travel well, when in reality, UVA travels better than anyone in the ACC except VT, FSU, and Clemson. What our alumni lack in sheer numbers, they make up for with being affluent. There aren't any numbers to prove this, but I'd make a wager that UVA sends more alumni per capita to bowl games than any other school in the ACC.

No way that is true, even if you are just counting alumni and not "fans", they don't come close to other schools.

I have been to a lot of games at other schools and traveled around the ACC a good bit, so this is my best guess on which schools have "fans" that travel.

Basing this off of 23 years of going to VT games and 5 years of games at GT, so this should eliminate some of the proximity bias.

1) FSU

2) Clemson (could easily put them #1)

3) VT

4) NC State (surprisingly they travel well for not being that good)

5) Miami (lot of sidewalk fans)

6) UNC

7) GT

8) UVA

9) Maryland

10-12) Wake, Duke, BC in no particular order

Edited by dcecilgolf

No way that is true, even if you are just counting alumni and not "fans", they don't come close to other schools.

I have been to a lot of games at other schools and traveled around the ACC a good bit, so this is my best guess on which schools have "fans" that travel.

Basing this off of 23 years of going to VT games and 5 years of games at GT, so this should eliminate some of the proximity bias.

1) FSU

2) Clemson (could easily put them #1)

3) VT

4) NC State (surprisingly they travel well for not being that good)

5) Miami (lot of sidewalk fans)

6) UNC

7) GT

8) UVA

9) Maryland

10-12) Wake, Duke, BC in no particular order

GT travels terribly. I know you may be a bit biased, but they don't come remotely close to filling 1/2 of UVA's visitor's section in their best years. Many of my friends who went to the Georgia Tech-Iowa Orange Bowl game in January 2010 commented on how badly Georgia Tech was outnumbered. My Miami grad friend said about 5-1. Not buying that GT travels better than UVA. I'd probably put them on par with Maryland.

Miami doesn't travel unless they're winning. VERY sparse crowds in '06, '08, and '10. Miami's fans are largely huge bandwagoners, supporting Miami when they win and supporting Alabama/LSU/etc. when they don't. If Miami's 8-0, then yeah, there's going to be heap many Hurricanes. If they're 3-5, you'd have a better chance at finding a brain in the Kardashian household.

NC State does travel better than you'd think, thanks to a GIGANTIC alumni base. VERY big school in terms of numbers. I'd put them in the spot behind UNC. Traveled VERY poorly to Charlottesville this year, though. Their decade in football has been much like UVA's.

UNC's probably the spot directly behind UVA. Traveled decent, even during the Bunting years, but again-they are just 3 hours south of us. Surprising how many true UNC fans care about football, but definitely doesn't match basketball devotion.

Still ranking UVA 4th. If that makes me a homer, so be it.

Not really.

Well, looks like Cincy is well on its way bowing down to Rutgers.....

Guest StoneyCalhoun

Earlier today, there were 5 teams tied for 1st place in the BE.