West Stokes High School, NC - Clintwood Connection

Single_A_Fan

While at the GW/Clintwood game I stood at the top of the bleachers on the Clintwood side and talked to a former Clintwood player who went on to play at Wake Forest in the mid 80's. We didn't exchange names, we just talked throughout the game. Standing with him was his son and one of his friends. Those two boys go to West Stokes High School in King, NC and were going to play in their state championship game the following week (which was last weekend).

After doing some digging I have found out that they indeed won the state championship. The guy I was talking to was Steve Fleming and his son is the QB and was named MVP of the game. Quite impressive.

Here is a link:

http://thestokesnews.com/bookmark/16644288

Here is a link to Steve's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000041850202#!/profile.php?id=100000041850202&sk=wall

While at the GW/Clintwood game I stood at the top of the bleachers on the Clintwood side and talked to a former Clintwood player who went on to play at Wake Forest in the mid 80's. We didn't exchange names, we just talked throughout the game. Standing with him was his son and one of his friends. Those two boys go to West Stokes High School in King, NC and were going to play in their state championship game the following week (which was last weekend).

After doing some digging I have found out that they indeed won the state championship. The guy I was talking to was Steve Fleming and his son is the QB and was named MVP of the game. Quite impressive.

Here is a link:

http://thestokesnews.com/bookmark/16644288

Here is a link to Steve's facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000041850202#!/profile.php?id=100000041850202&sk=wall

yeah, Steve and his son Austin are cousins with Clintwood's #11 (Meade) and #9 (Mullins), and probably a few more somewhere down the line. the other boy with Steve was his nephew Grayson, who is the backup qb and played quite a bit this year as well. Austin was a four year starter at qb and had a great senior season. at 6'4 215, he will be playing on saturdays somewhere next year. Grayson should step in at qb next year. both boys are great kids and deserved to be state champs. hope the Clintwood cousins can duplicate it.

Edited by Moe Jontana

Went to school with Steve and he was a neighbor for a few years when they lived in Weber City many years back, before they moved back to Clintwood.

To bring it full-circle, if those boys play baseball down at W.Stokes, their coach is Kirk Goodson, whose dad, Ed, grew up in Fries, just outside Galax, in Grayson County. Played for the S.F. Giants and later coached at Grayson, as did Kirk.

Seems like alot of those kids are related to each other on the Clintwood football team. That's got to be kind of fun. Are all the Mullins coached also related to the kids on the roster too. Must make for some great holiday conversation. Coming from a small town with good atheletes in the gene's surely helps these teams be successful it appears. Don't think I have seen a roster with so many players that appear to be related. I wonder how many on this years roster are kin-folk (and I'm not even counting the number of kids with different last names like Meade and Mullins that are related)?

Seems like alot of those kids are related to each other on the Clintwood football team. That's got to be kind of fun. Are all the Mullins coached also related to the kids on the roster too. Must make for some great holiday conversation. Coming from a small town with good atheletes in the gene's surely helps these teams be successful it appears. Don't think I have seen a roster with so many players that appear to be related. I wonder how many on this years roster are kin-folk (and I'm not even counting the number of kids with different last names like Meade and Mullins that are related)?

Head Coach Rick Mullins has 2 sons. I think only one of them is on the varsity roster right now. Both Dickenson and Wise counties have a ton of folks with the name Mullins. It's just a very common name down here.