Tazewell Abduction Hoax...thoughts?

http://www.wcyb.com/news/30712188/detail.html

If these idiots didn't call it in themselves and just went in a parking lot and did this crap...what exactly are they going to get charged with...they didn't report anything so you can't charge them with a false police report? If the child wasn't in any danger, can't go there with it?

I'm sure VA has some sort of law on the books they can charge them with, because thats the way it is here...nothing is really legal in VA lol....just curious what they might be charged with...I can't think of anything other than maybe some sort of public nuisance law or something?

thoughts? Pretty dumb obviously...and I have not seen the names released yet for some reaons?

http://www.wcyb.com/news/30712188/detail.html

If these idiots didn't call it in themselves and just went in a parking lot and did this crap...what exactly are they going to get charged with...they didn't report anything so you can't charge them with a false police report? If the child wasn't in any danger, can't go there with it?

I'm sure VA has some sort of law on the books they can charge them with, because thats the way it is here...nothing is really legal in VA lol....just curious what they might be charged with...I can't think of anything other than maybe some sort of public nuisance law or something?

thoughts? Pretty dumb obviously...and I have not seen the names released yet for some reaons?

Can't comment specifically on the legal ramifications, but yes, this is the pinnacle of stupidity.

I think at the very least they should have to reimburse the local town and/or county that wasted man hours searching for a hoax, there has to be some measure of accountability I think.

Accountable for what exactly though? They may have acted immature and irresponsible in public...but is that illegal? I mean hell ppl Johnny Knoxville made a career out of doing just that.... They didnt file a report, no one was forced to participate against their will (as far as we know).... so, what exactly is the crime....

Accountable for what exactly though? They may have acted immature and irresponsible in public...but is that illegal? I mean hell ppl Johnny Knoxville made a career out of doing just that.... They didnt file a report, no one was forced to participate against their will (as far as we know).... so, what exactly is the crime....

thats what i'm getting at...wonder what they will hit them with, because you know VA and especially Taz Co...they will come up with something i'm sure.

I think that they should have told the authorities what was going on instead of waiting and letting them search and then telling them it was a hoax. Of course without knowing the actual details as to how long they waited after they knew the police were searching for a missing child and all before they came forward it is hard to say how responsible they were I guess.

The words that come to my mind would be, REDNECKS looking for a laugh. Child abductions happen everyday, all over the country, and in alot of cases, the outcome is very bad. I bet none of those people got a laugh out of it.

A good lawyer will beat this like a drum...

http://www.wvva.com/story/17231427/couple-arrested-in-tazewell-abduction-joke

TAZEWELL (WVVA) - A couple has been charged after allegedly being involved in an incident that prompted fears of a child abduction in Tazewell County.

Tazewell Police Chief Walter Barrett says Josetta Juquatta Smith, 33, was arrested Wednesday night and Stephen Troy Rose, 31, was arrested on Thursday.

Both face charges of disorderly conduct and contributing to the delinquency of a minor in connection with the incident last Sunday in which police allege Smith's 14-year-old daughter was jokingly placed in the trunk of a vehicle in the parking lot of Grants Supermarket in Tazewell.

Barrett said tips from the public led to the arrests.

Rose also faces a charge of reckless driving. He was released on $3,500 bond. Smith is free on $5,000 bond.

Barrett says charges are also pending against the 14-year-old involved in the incident.

The report Sunday night of a possible abduction sparked concern in the community. Initial reports from witnesses at the store suggested a white male had placed a young girl in the trunk of a car and drove away.

Barrett said in a press conference the following day that all school-age children in the county had been accounted for and that no reports of missing children had been received.

Hours after the press conference, information was received by authorities that the incident had been a "joke."

Over React Much?? Sounds to me like the cops are pissy that they wasted time and are forcing an arrest....and does anyone else think those bonds are a little high for the supposed crime

could have been a lot higher actually with multiple counts...will be interesting how hard Taz Co pushes this and if they see any jail time. I think they could get up to a year per charge and $2500 fines ...pretty sure they are misdemeanor charges. Someone else could probably answer that better than I.

could have been a lot higher actually with multiple counts...will be interesting how hard Taz Co pushes this and if they see any jail time. I think they could get up to a year per charge and $2500 fines ...pretty sure they are misdemeanor charges. Someone else could probably answer that better than I.

You hit it dead on the head. Grade I misdemeanor, which carries the penalties you listed above.

I think what will be interesting is how hard the DA pushes it...obviously they are pissed off and rightfully so...but, i just don't know if they can stick these charges or not...and I doubt they will entertain a plea...so if this goes the distance it should be interesting to see how it plays out...i wouldn't be surprised at all if they push for jail time, but I think there is a good chance these people can walk scott free if they didn't actually report it and can afford a good lawyer...if they get court appointed they are screwed.

They are trying to prosecute the 14 year old as well, one of the two charges has child abuse as part of it! Don't ask me how I know but I do!

that was in the paper actually.

They will have a hard time with the 14 year old...on both sides of it...can't play the child abuse card then turn around and try to take the 14 year old to court on adult charges...so I'd say that's off the table. 14 year old will probably end up getting community service and a year of probation...if that.

Adults will be where the drama goes down.