Dickenson County

eastboundanddown

Ervinton is probably done. The county is facing a 4 million budget shortfall next year and other than closing a school there is no other way to cut that kind of money. The arguement against closing Ervinton will be "why not close Longs Fork" (1 of 2 elementary schools that feed Clintwood High) and the reason is Clintwood Elem simply wont hold all of those students.

I doubt Haysi High will close before Ridgeview is built but it may happen. The county should have consolidated 15 years ago but drug its feet and now its time to pay the price.

If 2 schools have to be closed then Haysi and Ervinton make sense, Ervinton is the smallest and wont hold all of the counties students and Haysi is in the worst condition of the 3 high schools. Believe me if there was another solution that could bring the school system under budget I would be all for it.

From my understanding 1 school will have to be closed and other cuts will also have to take place. The ammount the school system pays on employee ensurance will drop and alot of positions will be eliminated.

Im gonna be at the meeting tonight.

Haysi High School Gym @ 6:00