Graham Updates?

Also, quotes like this from the coaching staff concern me:

“West Virginia has got an advantage over the Virginia teams when it comes to that. They can schedule 30 games, to get better at baseball it is a repetition game and you have got to play some ball games. It is what it is, it is like this every year, but we have got to get some games in to get better.”

Sure, the more you play, the better you get, but I don't see teams like Tazewell and Richlands trotting out these excuses on the off chance that a WV team beats them. In fact, it's those teams laying most of the lumber.

Sure, you can say "our development's been hampered because we've had a few rain-outs, so I'd have envisioned that we'd be farther along by this point." You CANNOT say "well, by darn, if we were in WV, we'd be a whole lot better." (which isn't a big stretch from what Dixon said). One's putting the onus on you, the other's deflecting blame.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen.

Graham's ok...remember the G-Men only have 10 players with very little experience. Richlands, Tazewell, and probably about every other team has better facilities for practicing during bad weather. WV teams such as Blfd, Pike View, Pctn all went to Myrtle to play in a tourney. Blfd barely lost to Richlands (3-2) in the Coppinger tonight. Pike View is getting pretty good. Graham just had a bad night over there last night...it happens. I'm to lazy to look up how many games other VA teams in the area have played, but I'd almost bet that Graham has played the fewest, or close to it. Also, don't forget that Tazewell lost to Princeton earlier this season. Some of the WV teams in this area aren't as bad as they may have been in the past. The fact that the G-Men haven't been run ruled yet and have already won more games this season than they did the past 2 seasons combined is encouraging. They are going in the right direction.

Graham's ok...remember the G-Men only have 10 players with very little experience. Richlands, Tazewell, and probably about every other team has better facilities for practicing during bad weather. WV teams such as Blfd, Pike View, Pctn all went to Myrtle to play in a tourney. Blfd barely lost to Richlands (3-2) in the Coppinger tonight. Pike View is getting pretty good. Graham just had a bad night over there last night...it happens. I'm to lazy to look up how many games other VA teams in the area have played, but I'd almost bet that Graham has played the fewest, or close to it. Also, don't forget that Tazewell lost to Princeton earlier this season. Some of the WV teams in this area aren't as bad as they may have been in the past. The fact that the G-Men haven't been run ruled yet and have already won more games this season than they did the past 2 seasons combined is encouraging. They are going in the right direction.

Fair points, and I agree mostly. Graham's had some rank luck with rainouts this year. I've made the joke a time or two this year on rainy days that "well, Graham must be playing".

FWIW, this is a very strong year for Bluefield.

FWIW, this is a very strong year for Bluefield.

Bluefield is better than they have been but they are nowhere near being "strong". They went 0'fer in the Mingo Bay Tournament at Myrtle Beach...they went down there 7-0 and I think they are 10-8 now, after losing to Richlands.

I really think baseball is down this year in SWVA...Tazewell is average ('cept for Waz), Richlands isn't as good as they have been, Abingdon and Carroll Co. aren't as good as they have been either.

Bluefield is better than they have been but they are nowhere near being "strong". They went 0'fer in the Mingo Bay Tournament at Myrtle Beach...they went down there 7-0 and I think they are 10-8 now, after losing to Richlands.

I really think baseball is down this year in SWVA...Tazewell is average ('cept for Waz), Richlands isn't as good as they have been, Abingdon and Carroll Co. aren't as good as they have been either.

Bluefield was WAY over their heads in that tournament. Kinda like that tournament that Hurley agreed to play in during the last basketball season. Regionally, I'd say they're strong. Regionally. That should always be a caveat when saying "strong".

Bluefield was WAY over their heads in that tournament. Kinda like that tournament that Hurley agreed to play in during the last basketball season. Regionally, I'd say they're strong. Regionally. That should always be a caveat when saying "strong".

Well, so was PikeView and Princeton but they won games down there...

Well, so was PikeView and Princeton but they won games down there...

Pikeview did not win any games at Myrtle Beach!

Bluefield is still 8-1 against WV teams.

2-2 against VA teams.

0-3 against NY teams.

0-2 against SC teams.

Pikeview did not win any games at Myrtle Beach!

Bluefield is still 8-1 against WV teams.

2-2 against VA teams.

0-3 against NY teams.

0-2 against SC teams.

You sure? I thought PV won their second game down there...

You sure? I thought PV won their second game down there...

They were 0-4. Monday April 9th lost 15 -5 to Wacammaw, SC

Tuesday April 10th lost 6 - 0 to Williamsburg Academy, SC

Wednesday April 11th lost 10 - 0 to Canfield, Ohio

Thursday April 12th lost 7 - 3 to Sherman, WV.

Bluefield was finished on Thursday but actually played Friday morning to get in more

at bats before returning home that afternoon. We lost but still good to see the pitching

and get an extra game for the week.

• 2 weeks later...

UVAO...just no pitching and a couple of positions have been struggling with errors all of a sudden. Plus with no depth (10 players) it's hard to bench anyone. Also, throw in the fact that they are only playing a game about every 7-10 days hurts. The game against Liberty in the Coppinger they left bases loaded three times without getting a run across. That really broke their spirit in that game I believe. I still have hopes they will finish around .500 but that may be wishful thinking.

UVAO...just no pitching and a couple of positions have been struggling with errors all of a sudden. Plus with no depth (10 players) it's hard to bench anyone. Also, throw in the fact that they are only playing a game about every 7-10 days hurts. The game against Liberty in the Coppinger they left bases loaded three times without getting a run across. That really broke their spirit in that game I believe. I still have hopes they will finish around .500 but that may be wishful thinking.

Appreciate it. .500 seems too steep a climb this year, but with 10 players, it's going to be a challenge. With 10 players, you just don't have the arms to field a consistent pitching staff.

How many games does Graham have left, and when are the district tournaments?

They have a DH with Galax today, and games left with Narrows, Ft. Chiswell, Bland, & Grayson. G-Men I don't think have played a home game since March. They might get two more wins. It's frustrating because they were really playing good baseball early in the season.