WVU Baseball (UVAObserver)

BHS03

WVU has pretty much fired the baseball coach Greg Van Zant. Right now I'm hearing that an assistant at UVA may be offered the job. I don't follow college baseball that much. UVA, any idea who he may be?

That would be McMillan, the #2 in command behind O'Conner. Was a interim coach at ECU but was also a former manager in the Braves farm system. UVA O can correct me here if I'm off base but I believe he is also the recruiting coordinator at UVA. Hoping he stays put as this wouldn't be the first time another BCS school has been interested in either McMillan or Kuhn.

link to bio at virginiasports.com: http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88829&SPID=10613&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=1134176&Q_SEASON=2011

That would be McMillan, the #2 in command behind O'Conner. Was a interim coach at ECU but was also a former manager in the Braves farm system. UVA O can correct me here if I'm off base but I believe he is also the recruiting coordinator at UVA. Hoping he stays put as this wouldn't be the first time another BCS school has been interested in either McMillan or Kuhn.

link to bio at virginiasports.com: http://www.virginiasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=88829&SPID=10613&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=1134176&Q_SEASON=2011

I'm hearing McMullan, and that would indeed be a serious blow to the program if he leaves. He's got a wonderful mind for the game, great strategist. He is indeed the recruiting arm of UVA baseball, so it hurts doubly.

Honestly, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. Here's to hoping it doesn't, but if he leaves, WVU won't be sorry.

There's some interesting parallels between WVU now and where UVA was at in 2002. Granted WVU is no where near dropping baseball but, they do seem to be making a bigger commitment to the sport with the building of a new field. Plus through in a BIG step up in competition in conference play (Texas, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma are all consistant top 25 teams) will almost be playing a ACC level schedule. McMullan could obviously do something positive here I think if given a couple years to pull it all together. Hope he stays in Hooville but I know we've been lucky to have him and Kuhn this long and if he does move on to a HC job, WVU would definately be on the places I would like to see him land.

There's some interesting parallels between WVU now and where UVA was at in 2002. Granted WVU is no where near dropping baseball but, they do seem to be making a bigger commitment to the sport with the building of a new field. Plus through in a BIG step up in competition in conference play (Texas, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma are all consistant top 25 teams) will almost be playing a ACC level schedule. McMullan could obviously do something positive here I think if given a couple years to pull it all together. Hope he stays in Hooville but I know we've been lucky to have him and Kuhn this long and if he does move on to a HC job, WVU would definately be on the places I would like to see him land.

It is strange to think that UVA as close to dropping baseball in 2003 after Dennis Womack left. Exacty 6 games under .500 for the 41 years preceding O'Connor, and now, a perennial Top-25, and more often Top-10, team. It's like the Hokie football rise, except far quicker and far fewer people care. But we each have a "one break away from a NC" story.

WVU will get better by proxy. That, or it'll suffer through some rough seasons.

No reason for WVU not to be decent, really.