Beaver Announcers on the Eagle

BatCaveBeaver

Bad, huh? Was at the game (first time in a decade), so didn't hear it. Bob Redd may not have an ideal radio voice, but he does okay drawing a picture of the game.

Got in the car afterward ro hear them say they were switching to the Overtime show (where they give local scores), only to hear it switch to music. Adventure Radio really sucks.

I listened to a little bit of both teams announcers. The Bluefield guys did bring some excitement with their calls but overall it was pretty bad. Both of them did a poor job of detailing what was going on. There were numerous times where I had no clue who had the ball, the time on the clock, the down, or where the ball was at on the field. It's not rocket science.

I listened to a little bit of both teams announcers. The Bluefield guys did bring some excitement with their calls but overall it was pretty bad. Both of them did a poor job of detailing what was going on. There were numerous times where I had no clue who had the ball, the time on the clock, the down, or where the ball was at on the field. It's not rocket science.

Jim Nelson was always the antithesis of that. Don't think I ever heard him raise his voice, but he always packed a lot of info into few words. Always knew who had the ball, time left, down and distance, and even the formation. Never felt the need to just keep jaw-jacking to fill air. That's the problem with announcers today...watched too much Madden or Gruden or the like...

That's my biggest complaint too. I listened to the Graham network and I had no idea where the ball was, the time left on the clock, or how many yards were gained/lost on each play. At the end of the game when Bluefield had their last possession and had the long pass play, the only thing we heard was (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Oh no, a big play for Bluefield". That was it. It wasn't until the next play was run that we found out that the ball was deep in Graham territory. I had no idea the big play went that deep.

That's my biggest complaint too. I listened to the Graham network and I had no idea where the ball was, the time left on the clock, or how many yards were gained/lost on each play. At the end of the game when Bluefield had their last possession and had the long pass play, the only thing we heard was (and I'm paraphrasing here) "Oh no, a big play for Bluefield". That was it. It wasn't until the next play was run that we found out that the ball was deep in Graham territory. I had no idea the big play went that deep.

the graham broadcast was terrible...heard alot about hotdogs and pizza..no ideal who was running ball never mentioned carrier half the game, did poor job keeping up with game with little knowledge...however game ended in a fantastic result

Yup, it was the same thing on the Grahams long kick off return. I mean I knew from listening that it was a decent return but had no clue it went as far as it did.

Keep in mind that this was the Bluefield announcer's (Brock Matthew's) first game broadcasting with Joe Jarvis whom from what I understand has not broadcast a game in quiet sometime and the Graham announcer's(Kes Blackwell's) first game broadcasting for the G-Men in years whom used to do a heck of a job for the G-Men back in the day in my opinion. They probably just need some time to settle in and get the jitters out. After a couple of seasons I thought Bob Redd and Larry Melinchek(hope I spelled it right) were doing an outstanding job on the air for the beavers. After all it could be worse we could have no one broadcasting our games and have no way of keeping up with the action if we're unable to make it to the games.

the graham broadcast was terrible...heard alot about hotdogs and pizza..no ideal who was running ball never mentioned carrier half the game, did poor job keeping up with game with little knowledge...however game ended in a fantastic result

Everyone that I have talked to said that the Graham announcers were terrible ... actually "terrible" was not the word that they used but you get my point here. A couple of people said that the announcers were so bad that they just turned their radios off or switched over to the Bluefield broadcast. This was actually embarrassing since I had several friends in Roanoke specifically listening to the Graham internet broadcast. Painful to say the least!