Everyone outside the Piedmont should be happy now......

ProudBengal

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/breaking/wb/314288

Thus, the River Ridge will include eight schools, listed with their March 31 enrollments: Patrick Henry (1,953), Pulaski County (1,383), Salem (1,246), Carroll County (1,195), Christiansburg (1,092), Blacksburg (1,075), Hidden Valley (1,053) and Cave Spring (843).

The Piedmont will include Franklin County (2,167), Halifax County (1,663), George Washington (1,314), Bassett (1,212), Magna Vista (889), Tunstall (851) Patrick County (789) and Martinsville (657).

By looking at the numbers....seems they would be a better fit where they were originally assigned. Oh well, when the wealthy start to speak, they tend to get their way. As usual, Piedmont gets dumped on again and has to bend over and take it....with no lube of course.

Oh yeah, Franklin County cannot appeal the ruling. That should make everyone outside the Piedmont rest easy.

...I stand corrected....

Not only can Franklin County not appeal the ruling, neither can the Piedmont District.

Under the new classification system, that gives the Piedmont District schools that represent 5 of the new 6 classifications. Schools do not have to compete against teams that are classified 3 levels above them, thus (Martinsville, Patrick County, Tunstall, and Magna Vista) do not have to put them on their schedules.

Only 3 Piedmont teams will be required to play them (Bassett, GW Danville, and Halifax County).

Not only does it hamper scheduling with the current Piedmont District schools, but it severely handicaps Franklin County with their scheduling if the 4 schools mentioned elect not to play them.

Can only say this, now I know why you did not hear "publicly" from the other River Ridge District schools (other than Carroll County and Pulaski County)....... They knew what was going to happen....one way or another in a "closed door session" !!!!!

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=34758

...I stand corrected....

Not only can Franklin County not appeal the ruling, neither can the Piedmont District.

Under the new classification system, that gives the Piedmont District schools that represent 5 of the new 6 classifications. Schools do not have to compete against teams that are classified 3 levels above them, thus (Martinsville, Patrick County, Tunstall, and Magna Vista) do not have to put them on their schedules.

Only 3 Piedmont teams will be required to play them (Bassett, GW Danville, and Halifax County).

Not only does it hamper scheduling with the current Piedmont District schools, but it severely handicaps Franklin County with their scheduling if the 4 schools mentioned elect not to play them.

Can only say this, now I know why you did not hear "publicly" from the other River Ridge District schools (other than Carroll County and Pulaski County)....... They knew what was going to happen....one way or another in a "closed door session" !!!!!

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/article.cfm?ID=34758

It really doesn't put Franklin County in any worse shape scheduling-wise than what they face under the current setup.

So putting a 6A school into the existing Piedmont district makes sense football wise????

Most of you (especially people in the Roanoke area) like to bash the quality of play in the Piedmont District as is. On VA preps, someone tried to state that because of high enrollments, the athlete base would obviously be better. That is far from the truth, as you can use Bassett and for that matter Carroll County (mean no offense of course) as fine examples against that argument.

The "well to do schools" probably threatened some sort of lawsuit if forced to play (albeit behind closed doors) Franklin County. Do you really think for competition purposes and scheduling that Franklin County wants to play in the Piedmont District?? That argument alone I can understand from Carroll County's point of view. Bassett has been playing some of the current River Ridge schools in various sports for quite a while .....and there is a difference in the level of competition. Don't get me wrong, every now and then one of the Piedmont schools gets a group of athletes coming through that can compete with them, but on average...it is a different beast. Now you add a 6A school to the mix (by the way, Franklin County has been on Bassett's schedules for a while now) ...., it’s not going to be good for the ones that have to or choose (doubt those 4 schools will play them) to play them.

I would compare that to this scenario….this move would be like moving a Salem (and I mean this as a complement Spartan fans) that is strong in almost every sport, into the Clinch Mountain or the Black Diamond districts and neither of those districts would have a say in the move.

What makes sense is this.....the Piedmont has NEVER had a voice in the decisions for quite some time. Our area has been ravaged by economic problems (like many other areas)that continue to worsen. Unlike areas and schools that are in the River Ridge, the population base WILL NOT return to our area, because there aren't many jobs in the area that will allow you to support a family comfortably. Once textiles and furniture left this area, it has been on a drastic decline as far as population base. How long has it been since those industries left and for how long has our area been one of the top areas for unemployment?

As I stated earlier, the Piedmont (AGAIN) has something forced down it's throat.....and there is not a thing it can do about it. What is it Don King used to say.....Only in America......

Just like in 96-97,when a district was going to be moved out of region 3 to reg. 4,the Roanoke area schools whined and complained until it ended up being the Piedmont that went west. Sqeaky wheel gets the grease again, and the funny thing is we can holler all we want to and now no one has to listen. It's a done deal!! Magna Vista should play all the Rockingham Co. NC schools they can; they are a lot closer drives to get there and it's all about saving money isn't it??

I agree that the Piedmont got the shaft in this deal.

Not so much that Franklin Co ended up there but because the Piedmont will not have a chance to organize an appeal.

I do not agree that the Roanoke schools have nearly as much power as some think.

To the Roanoke schools the perfect scenario would be that they have one district all to themselves.

Salem, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, William Byrd, Northside, Fleming, Patrick Henry and Lord Botetourt should technically have their own district.

Of course this would be impossible because the outlying teams would never be able to mesh into another district. Pulaski and Blacksburg would be in no mans land and so would Alleghany, Staunton River and Rockbridge.

The argument that made sense at the final meeting was that the River Ridge would become a 9 school district and the Piedmont would only be a 7 school district if Franklin Co was to go the the River Ridge.

With FC in the Piedmont they both have 8 schools