Hacking a PS3 to load mods into games questions

1) Is it possible?

2) Have you done it?

3) How is is done if it is possible?

My stepson whose 13 years old is passionate about trying to load mods into a PS3 game he has and he's convinced to try and do it. I've look around online and found several different places/methods that say it can be done and other sites that say no it can't be done. I'm not one to go and try to change a game file since I'm far from being a programmer and I've tried to talk him out of trying to do this. My opinion is that if you go screwing around with something like this you're going to ruin the game and/or the PS3 to where it can't be fixed.

If anyone has had any experience with this I'd like to hear about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked into this as well and its my understanding it can't be done. To do mods it has to be on a file. PS3 games do not create files unless it is for saving a point in a game. If you are wanting to do mods to a game, buy the PC version. Also if you ever have a problem with your PS3, sony will fix it for you, if you hack it they won't. Mine overheated and I paid $150 for a refurbished one from Sony (better than paying $300 for a new one.) If you ever have a problem they will be able to tell if it has been hacked and you will be stuck buying a new one instead of having it fixed or replaced.

I have no experience in actually doing it but it is possible. Unless you're experienced in doing this, I wouldn't try it. Files could be corrupt or lost which would transform your PS3 into a paperweight as SONY won't go near it if you've broken the seal. It's also a tad illegal, so network connectivity is a risk.

I thought the PC version was the only way I've heard mods being done. I also had advised him that I read online that people had their "jailbroken" systems they had "modded" remotely shut down online after being detected by network personnel.

Thanks for the feedback.